English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 February 2010, 18:52   #1
mattbarton.exe

Interview with Al Lowe

Hi, Amigans! Here's the link to the interview with Al Lowe (Leisure Suit Larry).

[ Show youtube player ]

It's broken into two parts (the second part is linked at the end and as a response video). I deeply apologize for the 2-minute intro. I thought it was a nice way to celebrate the 50th episode (took me 2 days to make!), but it is long, and there were some complaints. If you'd like to skip it, try this link instead:

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for watching.
Old 22 February 2010, 18:57   #2
laffer
Zone Friend

Awesome episode! Love the Leisure Suit Larry games and Al Lowe seems like a geniunely cool guy.

I've really fallen in love with your show

By the way, the intro is very nice - it is a bit long so I can see why some people reacted - they probably thought you would use something like this for every episode from now on. If it had been a bit more clear that this is not the case, I'm sure there wouldn't have been complaints about it.

EDIT - watched it again, the intro really is nice, good work on that I love how you even have a clip from State of the Art in there
Old 22 February 2010, 19:03   #3
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, Laffer. It was totally my fault. I thought it'd be a fun surprise - people expecting the same old intro, but then getting blasted with that one. Totally backfired, though. I guess people were like, "When is this idiot going to get to Al???" D'oh.
Old 22 February 2010, 19:09   #4
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah, I have to admit I fast forwarded past the last part of the intro when I first saw it yesterday... was too eager to see the actual interview
Old 22 February 2010, 19:39   #5
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
great stuff matt, as for carry on films they so naff there ace hehehhe

edit

forgot to mention love the new intro

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 22 February 2010 at 19:48.
Old 22 February 2010, 22:16   #6
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Yeah Matt. Partytime! Number 50. You know you got us addicted by now.

I love it. Al Lowe is great, Larry ist great, and the interview #50 is great for sure. It was one of my first games, and I completely missed the point... It took me another 5-6 years to realize that those were the sexiest bricks on the orange phosphor of a cathode ray tube ever. I think I liked "Shape Up or Slip Out!" best.

As for the intro, it was hard to pull yourself together when you had a vague idea what was about to happen. (Roberta... I liked her first appearance better somehow, btw.) I like it none the less.

Dub dub dub dum de dah dee dee...

Last edited by gilgamesh; 23 February 2010 at 09:24.
Old 22 February 2010, 23:00   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Great work Matt, you come across as a really nice guy. See you for Matt Chat #100 we hope!
Old 23 February 2010, 08:14   #8
demoniac

Glad you were able to follow-up with Al Lowe as suggested. I always thought LSL1 was the best of the series. Perhaps it was the most lewd?
Old 23 February 2010, 09:14   #9
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

great job matt! i really enjoy your show, keep'em coming!

and do not listen to the people complaining about the 2 mins intro! pictures of oldies + retromusic = 2 mins of pleasure, what's wrong with that? Was a great way to celebrate the 50th

And Mr Al Lowe...what a great person to interview! Classic LSL's were such great games...I wasn't allowed to play them when I was a kid, my dad was hiding the floppies but hey..I got them a few years later anyways, and as a big Sierra fan LSL is definitely one of the best series, so much fun. LSL2 probably being my favorite, but I love them all.

Al Lowe is such a charming and charismatic person. The guy has something in the eye that immediately make you like him. I really enjoyed the interview. Too bad the whole situation with Sierra went so bad in the end..but that's another story.

Now, Matt, just find a way to interview Mark Crowe and/or Scott Murphy (I REALLY doubt they'll take an interview together.../sadface ), and I'll bless you forever
Old 23 February 2010, 09:28   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

yay! Looking forward to seeing this tonight! Oh and I'll watch the version WITH 2 minute intro, because I am trying not to be one of those people that complains about every little thing
Old 27 February 2010, 13:50   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Both parts of this interview are excellent - Al Lowe is so cool and the Larry games were such fun - particularly the earlier games.

Great to see those Amiga clips during the intro - this has been a very memorable 50th Mattchat - well done Matt.

Also - I have never heard of Fernwood 2 Night! - I have now become addicted to watching clips of it on youtube - I have always really liked Fred Willard - he is hilarious!
We never got that show here in the UK.
Great find for me!
Old 27 February 2010, 17:02   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

lol, I missed the question of whatever happened to Larry 4
Old 28 February 2010, 10:15   #13
mattbarton.exe

Hi, guys. Guess what?? It's Matt Chat 51 with John Romero! I know you know who that is, so need to explain. Here is the link to the first part (more to follow):

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 February 2010, 12:26   #14
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Your getting a collection of real A List people from the game world Matt!
Looking forward to hearing more from Romero... seems as though he has dedicated most of his life to creating games... Thank goodness for people like this!

Great video, really left me thinking that I wanted to see more, the ten minutes actually flew past.
Old 28 February 2010, 14:23   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Your getting a collection of real A List people from the game world Matt!
Looking forward to hearing more from Romero... seems as though he has dedicated most of his life to creating games... Thank goodness for people like this!

Great video, really left me thinking that I wanted to see more, the ten minutes actually flew past.
Read "Masters of Doom". Really, its the coolest game related book I have read so far and gives a perfect insight into the ID software of the Commander Keen / Wolfenstein / Doom / Quake / Quake 2 / Daikatana era.
Old 28 February 2010, 14:32   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Hi, guys. Guess what?? It's Matt Chat 51 with John Romero! I know you know who that is, so need to explain. Here is the link to the first part (more to follow):

[ Show youtube player ]
Really
Thanks for all the episodes I haven't commented on and especially for this one Matt
Old 28 February 2010, 15:36   #17
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Thanks for that interview, Matt! That was a really interesting chat with Al Lowe and the intro was cool. Must have been alot of work to put it together like that, but the result is worth all the effort imho.
Old 28 February 2010, 20:47   #18
laffer
Zone Friend

The John Romero interview is great as well!
Old 28 February 2010, 21:30   #19
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Also - I have never heard of Fernwood 2 Night! - I have now become addicted to watching clips of it on youtube - I have always really liked Fred Willard - he is hilarious!
We never got that show here in the UK.
Great find for me!
I was a huge fan of Fernwood2Night and its sequel America 2 Night. It used to air on "Nick at Nite" (Nickelodeon). I've always enjoyed both Martin Mull and Fred Willard. It's a shame you don't see more from these epic comedians. Even the named "Fred Willard" brings a smile to my face.
Old 28 February 2010, 21:50   #20
Peter
Still an Amiga user

oh yes - Fred is a comedy genius - he is always really funny in the Christopher Guest films,
Waiting for Guffman is a favourite of mine... [ Show youtube player ]

I will have to see if I can find some Fernwood 2 Night!!