English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 September 2008, 14:45   #1
flipper

oops can i undue bad things to harddrive + bribe for toni

hi all
ive connected my amiga 4gb seagate harddrive to my pc via usb only 1.97 gigs showed up in windows and in hdtoolbox in the past i could delete partitions and put them back and the data would just reapear by magic when quick formatted - didn`t work on winuae how can i get my data back i have a backup copy on the harddrive in the partitions i cant access

toni help me and i have a third edition hardware reference manual in MINT condition its yours!!
Old 13 September 2008, 15:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
hi all
ive connected my amiga 4gb seagate harddrive to my pc via usb only 1.97 gigs showed up in windows and in hdtoolbox in the past i could delete partitions and put them back and the data would just reapear by magic when quick formatted - didn`t work on winuae how can i get my data back i have a backup copy on the harddrive in the partitions i cant access
Quick format? Why?...

Tried DiskSalv? But I don't think I can help if Windows shows wrong size in Disk Manager.. Try normal IDE connector?

Quote:
toni help me and i have a third edition hardware reference manual in MINT condition its yours!!
I'll try
Old 13 September 2008, 16:33   #3
mark_k

Quote:
This isn't WinUAE-specific, but before doing anything else to the drive you should make a "forensic quality" image file from it. And save the image file to DVD or flash drive or whatever in case you screw up again. The way I would do that is to download a special Linux boot CD like Helix. Boot your PC from that CD then connect the hard drive and create an image file using it. (I can give more instructions, but probably another forum would be a better place to talk about that.)

Then you can make (possibly-destructive) changes to the data on the HD, since you can always restore it from the image file if something goes wrong.
Old 14 September 2008, 01:31   #4
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
(I can give more instructions, but probably another forum would be a better place to talk about that.)
Really as this is Amiga related, and would be an ideal future knowledge resource i'm sure. There is plenty of space and on this forum, such as the prb.hardware section or it's sub forums.
Old 16 September 2008, 21:30   #5
flipper

Thanks guys great advice did some more research and found this is a windows problem not winuae cant even get a fat32 disk to be assigned a letter many others have same problem have sent email to microsoft with all information i can

will try the linux approach to get the data already have dual boot so shouldn`t be a problem.

sorry about posting in the wrong forum

would love to see a amiga solution to the windows problem though i have freinds who have similar problems (amiga`s rescueing lost fat32 disks- just a thought)

toni read that you where after a 3rd edition hardware ref manual if still wanted you can have it you deserve it for all the work you have done email me or something let me know
Old 17 September 2008, 00:33   #6
exoticaga

You have a few options, quick help.

- Important > Don't use or power the drive until you have imaged it.
- Google a freeware DOS imaging tool.
- Boot into DOS with imaging tool. Image the drive to another drive, as an image file is prefered.
- Now you can work with the image file, after make a backup of it. Use the imaging tool to extract all your needed files, or write the image to another drive.
- For advice how to proceed in detail. Google for a hard drive repair forum.

If this helps you out, send the book to Toni as he needs it more than you do.
Old 17 September 2008, 13:35   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Thanks guys great advice did some more research and found this is a windows problem not winuae cant even get a fat32 disk to be assigned a letter many others have same problem have sent email to microsoft with all information i can

will try the linux approach to get the data already have dual boot so shouldn`t be a problem.
I am quite sure it is USB adapter problem. Old/"ancient" drives do not always work with USB adapters. My guess is that they expect UDMA modes that old drives do not support or adapter only supports newer ATA specced drives.

Direct IDE connection should work as long as drive isn't really buggy (=something like some smaller than 500M IDE drives..)

Quote:
toni read that you where after a 3rd edition hardware ref manual if still wanted you can have it you deserve it for all the work you have done email me or something let me know
pm sent.
Old 17 September 2008, 21:23   #8
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I am quite sure it is USB adapter problem. Old/"ancient" drives do not always work with USB adapters. My guess is that they expect UDMA modes that old drives do not support or adapter only supports newer ATA specced drives.

Direct IDE connection should work as long as drive isn't really buggy (=something like some smaller than 500M IDE drives..)

pm sent.
I should back to school i missed reading both of those points usb and it's yours. Maybe its an age related thing, not reading a post completely. I will endevour to read all text of posts in future, before replying.
Old 18 September 2008, 00:45   #9
flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
You have a few options, quick help.

- Important > Don't use or power the drive until you have imaged it.
- Google a freeware DOS imaging tool.
- Boot into DOS with imaging tool. Image the drive to another drive, as an image file is prefered.
- Now you can work with the image file, after make a backup of it. Use the imaging tool to extract all your needed files, or write the image to another drive.
- For advice how to proceed in detail. Google for a hard drive repair forum.
thats something i`d not thought of will look into it at weekend cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
If this helps you out, send the book to Toni as he needs it more than you do.
ok you might be right

toni pm received will send it at weekend no charge