English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 June 2005, 06:53   #1
bloom

PSPuae

So, what do you think, would a common Amiga (maybe only a A500 ECS system) emulation be possible on the PSP ?! I Think yes, since there is a quite good UAE port on PS2 that worked very nice for me !

Wouldnt it be nice to have an portable amiga ?

i guess this picture IS fake
Old 23 June 2005, 09:31   #2
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

PSP emus are VERY clunky right now. eg GBA you MUST name your SINGLE Rom to ROM.GBA and lots wont stretch screens.

And how do you run homebrew on a PSP? Some swap-exploit? or FW 1.00 only? Nasty. The FW needs cracking open so U can easily run homebrew!
Old 23 June 2005, 10:22   #3
IFW

It will be very slow. Unless you shift polygons psp is not the computer you think.
Old 23 June 2005, 12:33   #4
Big-Byte
Long time member

PSP is a corking machine but homebrew is still in its infancy.. give it a year and we should see some amazing stuff...
Old 23 June 2005, 12:48   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

PSP Mame will NOT work with Exploit (ie ONLY with FW 1.00 which is VERY rare now).

I am wondering if the homebrew scene will ever really take off on PSP. I wont buy one until I can EASILY use homebrew and emulators.
Old 23 June 2005, 16:06   #6
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Big grin

@Bloom
" Wouldnt it be nice to have an portable amiga ?"

I already had a portable amiga, a amd 1200 laptop with os 3.9 in it .
Old 23 June 2005, 17:23   #7
FromWithin
Music lord

My Zaurus runs UAE just fine. I can play Turrican at about half speed.
Old 23 June 2005, 17:32   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
It will be very slow. Unless you shift polygons psp is not the computer you think.
Hmm.. for UAE purposes it's effectively a Mips R4000 CPU@166MHz with an FPU...

Anyone ever try UAE on an SGI Indy? I'd say that would give you the best comparison
Old 23 June 2005, 19:56   #9
bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
PSP Mame will NOT work with Exploit (ie ONLY with FW 1.00 which is VERY rare now).
Mame works great with kxdploit and no swapping needed anymore.. sure psp homebrew scene is in an early beginning stage.. but still i think in like 1 year when the machine is explored by the homebrew coders, it should be possible.. i would love it !
Old 23 June 2005, 20:42   #10
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom
Mame works great with kxdploit and no swapping needed anymore.. sure psp homebrew scene is in an early beginning stage.. but still i think in like 1 year when the machine is explored by the homebrew coders, it should be possible.. i would love it !
U best tell the "gurus" at PS2nfo or whatever as they say it doesnt!
Old 23 June 2005, 20:55   #11
bloom

Why is it included in the official KXploit Homebrew Pack v0.1 if it doesnt work.. those ps2nfo guys have no clue at all.. naming paradox "a guy" baha
Old 24 June 2005, 00:16   #12
IFW

This is a hardware limit, nothing you can improve on.
The machine was designed to run 3d games and entertainment material and it does a damn good job at that.
Nothing else.
As for raw processing power many media mobile phones has the same power. New generation PDAs (the ones with vga displays and 600mhz cpus) are actually much better.
The only thing that the deivce does nicely is hardware texturing (similar to ps2, but hidden with the opengl like api) and video decoding so don't get your hopes high and take this from a Sony fanboy
A dell axim x50v is an incredibly powerful machine (compared to a psp anyway...) that you could program freely if you wanted to, and has similar or better 3d capabilites plus directx mobile.
Running uae on that at a somewhat acceptable speed is much more likely.
Old 28 June 2005, 11:40   #13
manicx

How about those Megadrive/SNES emulators? I've seen them running at decents speed:

If the Megadrive and SNES are emulated, I am sure something like winFellow will run on this fairly well.
Old 28 June 2005, 13:40   #14
bloom

Yeah, sure many amiga games are also available on snes/mgenesis BUT the sound always sucks.. and i hate it to play SOTB2 without brilliant amiga sound

@ifw: dont forget that psp also has a powerfull GPU that SUPPORTS 2D acceleration.
Old 28 June 2005, 14:01   #15
IFW

Wrong. The psp gpu is very similar to the ps2 gs. All it can do is to display polys and point sprites. The rest is up to the sw.
Besides an emulator can't benefit from any kind of acceleration apart from filters and high bandwidth. You must render the picture point by point as it happens on the screen. If you can render that in the videomemory fine, you might as well switch to display it, if you can't, you need high bandwidth to transfer into video memory.

Being emulated does not mean being playable, good or acceptable. You can emulate it one frame a second etc. It will be emulated but it will be unusable.
Amiga is one of the most complex systems ever made to emulate, and it requires considerable raw cpu power to make it happen.
The psp has as much cpu power as advanced cell phones, and mid-range pdas have. There was no need for more as power consumption was a big problem, besides all the graphics work is done in hardware. However this is the thing from what an amiga emulator can't benefit from.
Don't expect anything more than 20 frames max and only in games where the coprocessor utilization is very low, ie think in Bard's Tale being playable, not Turrican 2.

The point is: buy it for what it is, not something you hope it does well, since it can't. You will be very disappointed.

If you want portable amiga emulation get a high-end pda.
Old 28 June 2005, 14:03   #16
manicx

PSPGenesis v0.13 plays about 90% of the megadrive games with sound support.
Old 28 June 2005, 14:07   #17
IFW

Please understand that an mgd is a fairly simple hardware to emulate, unlike the amiga.
The psp will run fine an atari st too.
The Amiga is just the wrong one for emulation as it is the most cpu demanding.
Old 28 June 2005, 14:44   #18
bloom

@IFW - NICE so when its like the ps2 cpu the chance is even bigger - just google for "ps2uae" and you will find a well working Amiga emulator that is able to emulate all those nice ECS Amiga games at a very acceptable speed.. i tested it myself by running Turrican and it ran great !
Old 28 June 2005, 15:28   #19
IFW

gs, not cpu.
the psp cpu is underclocked to avoid power drain, that was evident with the original clock speed.
Old 28 June 2005, 15:31   #20
IFW

Anyway if you are happy with say the gp32 emulation capabilities of the amiga, then you will like it, if you are like me, who is only happy with the original speed then you'll be disappointed.
Some people like emulation simply for the geeky sake of it, others want to use it like the real thing. The psp is incapable of the latter.