English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 April 2006, 23:07   #1
TcsAmiga
TCSAmiga

What would be a good buy?

I am really considering to buy an Amiga as the nostalgia of this machine has come back to me just recently (I do not know why ).

What would be a good price for the
A500
A500 plus
or the
A1200 (with HDD)
Old 05 April 2006, 23:34   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Stoopid question this but are you already using WinUAE?? I still have my Amiga 1200 and the last time I used it must have been about two years ago! I've only kept mine for sentimental reasons and try as I might.... I just can't part with it!!!

When you consider how accurate the brilliant WinUAE and the vast range of games/demos/pds/applications you can download for free, I'm now playing games I couldn't afford when they first came out!

If you really want to buy an Amiga, and at the end of day.... I wouldn't blame you! (i'm going to get it in the neck for putting this!!) a good place is, of course, eBay. Another source is the Retro Gamer Magazine, and no doubt other members here (who have all helped me with alot of queries and problems) will advise you.

Good luck!

PS Apparently my A1200 (boxed) on its own would cost about £20 to buy... now thats a bargain!
Old 05 April 2006, 23:44   #3
lopos2000
Zone Friend

I would go for A1200 with HD and ram expansion. Than you can play most games with WDLoad.
Old 06 April 2006, 00:06   #4
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcsAmiga
I am really considering to buy an Amiga as the nostalgia of this machine has come back to me just recently (I do not know why ).

What would be a good price for the
A500
A500 plus
or the
A1200 (with HDD)
Went through the same thing myself. It depends what era of nostalgia you want, I went for an A500 because those were the games I played and I didn't want compatibility woes. On UK eBay A500's don't seem to go for more than 20 quid.

There is one big problem with this approach - floppy disks. They are almost impossible to get hold of (SS/DD), they die (in fact many are now dead even original games), and they take ages to load compared to an emulator.

After some advice from people on here I got an A1200, fitted a 2.5" internal HDD, a Blizzard '030 accelerator and got myself a copy of WHDload which means all the compatibility worries go away AND the games load straight away from the hard drive.

The second option is probably gonna cost nearer 100 quid all in, but it's the best way to go in the long run. Technically you don't need the accelerator, just a bit of extra RAM for Whdload.

But if you just want a quick fix get an A500 and some games
Old 06 April 2006, 10:33   #5
TcsAmiga
TCSAmiga

Would around £45 be a good deal for an Amiga 1200 with a 130mb HDD?

I understand what you are saying with regards WinUAE but I thought that having the orginal unit would give me an added bonus

Quote:
PS Apparently my A1200 (boxed) on its own would cost about £20 to buy... now thats a bargain!
Quahappy, are you offering ?

Last edited by TcsAmiga; 06 April 2006 at 10:46.
Old 06 April 2006, 13:00   #6
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Well..... it's like this... my wife has just tried really hard to prise it from me with no luck, so I guess at the moment... computer says noooooo. sorry!! I still have disks with iff pictures and music modules (that word "sentimental" again!) that I did which, one day, i'm hoping to upload into WinUAE... just finding the time.

As lopos2000 and TcsAmiga quoted, getting an A1200 with HDD and added RAM for all those WHDLoad games would be your best option if not wanting to use WinUAE (I've not yet tried doing this). I have to admit I've yet to encounter any problems using this emulator. The guys on here are really helpful with any problems no matter how small.

Happy Amiga hunting!!
Old 06 April 2006, 13:47   #7
TcsAmiga
TCSAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
Well..... it's like this... my wife has just tried really hard to prise it from me with no luck, so I guess at the moment... computer says noooooo. sorry!! I still have disks with iff pictures and music modules (that word "sentimental" again!) that I did which, one day, i'm hoping to upload into WinUAE... just finding the time.

As lopos2000 and TcsAmiga quoted, getting an A1200 with HDD and added RAM for all those WHDLoad games would be your best option if not wanting to use WinUAE (I've not yet tried doing this). I have to admit I've yet to encounter any problems using this emulator. The guys on here are really helpful with any problems no matter how small.

Happy Amiga hunting!!
I understand quahappy , I think if I still had my A500 I would be wanting to hang on to it. My only real reason for wanting an Amiga is that when I run WinUAE on my laptop (not a bad spec centrino 1.5ghz 512mb ram) is that it runs quite slow and I think some of the problems I am getting with WinUAE are because of this. I do have a more powerful machine (P4 3ghz 1g ram) but I like to try and keep that as clean as poss as I do video editing on it.
Old 06 April 2006, 14:51   #8
amiga

Quote:
... I do have a more powerful machine (P4 3ghz 1g ram) but I like to try and keep that as clean as poss as I do video editing on it.

WinUAE is a clean piece of software
Old 06 April 2006, 15:29   #9
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

WinUAE and amiga games.. is no no.. for the right feeling, use an real amiga..
Old 06 April 2006, 16:17   #10
Parsec

Quote:
I understand quahappy , I think if I still had my A500 I would be wanting to hang on to it. My only real reason for wanting an Amiga is that when I run WinUAE on my laptop (not a bad spec centrino 1.5ghz 512mb ram) is that it runs quite slow and I think some of the problems I am getting with WinUAE are because of this. I do have a more powerful machine (P4 3ghz 1g ram) but I like to try and keep that as clean as poss as I do video editing on it.
I'm quite surprised by that, I've had WinUAE running on a PIII 500 at full speed doing standard A500 emulation. Has WinUAE performance got that much worse over time?
Old 06 April 2006, 16:22   #11
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I would snag an A500 and an A1200 with 030 accelerator. With WHDLoad you can pretty much play anything on the 1200, the 500 can play the few games that don't have loaders for WHDLoad yet. Besides in the UK both machines seems to be cheap and plentifull.

When I started on the Amiga I went for the 500, then decided I wanted a 1200 for the few AGA games made, then put an accelerator in the 1200, and finally figured I wanted a big box 2000 also. Now I am happy and pretty much done collecting Amiga machines (unless I see an original 3000T or 4000T cheap).
Old 06 April 2006, 16:53   #12
TcsAmiga
TCSAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
I would snag an A500 and an A1200 with 030 accelerator. With WHDLoad you can pretty much play anything on the 1200, the 500 can play the few games that don't have loaders for WHDLoad yet. Besides in the UK both machines seems to be cheap and plentifull.

When I started on the Amiga I went for the 500, then decided I wanted a 1200 for the few AGA games made, then put an accelerator in the 1200, and finally figured I wanted a big box 2000 also. Now I am happy and pretty much done collecting Amiga machines (unless I see an original 3000T or 4000T cheap).
Looks like the offer I spotted on the A1200 at ebay was too good to hang around for long as it has gone now . I know what you mean Unknown_K about the A500 & the A1200 having those games that didn't always load . I am not sure at the moment whether I can afford both units, I might try and get a A500 first and then work my way up to A1200 (ooh its just like buying one for the first time )

I am considering lookin through the Ad-Mag as it has got me bargins before. If there are there any other places to look then I would appreciate the suggestions
Old 06 April 2006, 18:20   #13
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Have at look at this link forra laugh....

http://www.analogic.co.uk/Amiga_CD32A1200.html

HOW MUCH???!!!!
Old 06 April 2006, 18:25   #14
TcsAmiga
TCSAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
Have at look at this link forra laugh....

http://www.analogic.co.uk/Amiga_CD32A1200.html

HOW MUCH???!!!!
oooouuuuch I don't think I would want to spend that kinda money
Old 07 April 2006, 12:30   #15
scifi
Resurrected...

Question The ideal value for money Amiga1200 pack?

Guys, using this thread's subject, I would like to know what would be the ideal value for money amiga1200 pack for use with the WHDLoad!
Old 07 April 2006, 14:58   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You shouldnt pay more than £30 for a vanilla A1200.

Most people dont want to sell just the A1200 and think it's worth "loads 'a' money" (TM) but browse ebay / car boots and you'll get one for £30.

You're gonna want a FastRAM expansion and a hard drive to go with it which will be about £30 more on top.

If you can get an A1200 with hard drive and FastRAM expansion (perhaps even an accelerator) for sub £60 then it's a good deal.
Old 07 April 2006, 17:05   #17
scifi
Resurrected...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
You shouldnt pay more than £30 for a vanilla A1200.

Most people dont want to sell just the A1200 and think it's worth "loads 'a' money" (TM) but browse ebay / car boots and you'll get one for £30.

You're gonna want a FastRAM expansion and a hard drive to go with it which will be about £30 more on top.

If you can get an A1200 with hard drive and FastRAM expansion (perhaps even an accelerator) for sub £60 then it's a good deal.
Thanks for the tip! The only thing is that the shipping costs raise the total amount of acquisition. You see, I'm from Greece and usually the shipping costs come up to £40!! The seller must be someone from Europe or else the price goes up.
Maybe the fleemarkets or car boots here in Greece is a good alternative!