English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 January 2016, 19:49   #41
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

My point it, Sega fans are collectors. They want a console and boxed games. Something Steam alike wouldn't fit this demand.
Old 12 January 2016, 20:00   #42
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Dedicated SEGA fans.. Can they make a difference?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Read it. Sounds like what fifteen year olds "Dream" about all the time.
Sounds like the Amiga scene sometimes
Old 13 January 2016, 09:35   #43
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No.

Sounds like the Amiga scene sometimes
The (highly optimistic) team behind this idea say they'll probably go ahead and build a modern dreamcast through crowdfunding even if SEGA tells them to "p1ss off". I still think they want 35,000 ppl on the petition to kind of make sure the crowd funding wouldn't be a complete dud.
In that context, it's worth remembering that Shenmue 3 was one of the most successful game kickstarters ever.
Old 13 January 2016, 10:21   #44
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
The (highly optimistic) team behind this idea say they'll probably go ahead and build a modern dreamcast through crowdfunding even if SEGA tells them to "p1ss off". I still think they want 35,000 ppl on the petition to kind of make sure the crowd funding wouldn't be a complete dud.
In that context, it's worth remembering that Shenmue 3 was one of the most successful game kickstarters ever.
In that context? Which context? Will Sony finance the Dreamcast 2 like they did with Shenmue 3?
I do not think so.
Old 13 January 2016, 12:10   #45
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
In that context? Which context? Will Sony finance the Dreamcast 2 like they did with Shenmue 3?
I do not think so.
in the context where it had 69.000 backers
Old 13 January 2016, 13:05   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Since Shenmue 2 the series wasn't a Sega exclusive anymore. Wasn't there downloads for both games on the XBox 360 too? You can't compare a mainstream Kickstarter campaign for a specific game with a new console.
Old 13 January 2016, 17:13   #47
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Since Shenmue 2 the series wasn't a Sega exclusive anymore. Wasn't there downloads for both games on the XBox 360 too? You can't compare a mainstream Kickstarter campaign for a specific game with a new console.
Ok, fair point.. Think it was original xbox then "emulated" on xbox360, though I reckon the majority of shenmue fans are SEGA fans.. but point taken..
Old 13 January 2016, 20:06   #48
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

The team has stated that they are not looking to fund anything via kickstarter. (But I wouldn't bet on it not happening in the future)
An ex team member relayed and fabricated lot's of stories that he feed to the press- you need to look for more recent articles to get the current situation.

Yes, I think it will turn out to be pie in the sky but hey a Neo geo x type device might sell a few hundred thousand units.
Old 13 January 2016, 22:28   #49
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
The team has stated that they are not looking to fund anything via kickstarter. (But I wouldn't bet on it not happening in the future)
An ex team member relayed and fabricated lot's of stories that he feed to the press- you need to look for more recent articles to get the current situation.

Yes, I think it will turn out to be pie in the sky but hey a Neo geo x type device might sell a few hundred thousand units.
I was looking at this page, it seems to have been edited on december 23rd
http://thegg.net/hot-news/the-sega-d...project-dream/
and number 5 in the list says:
"5. If Sega don’t like our proposal, we are planning to push forth and create a machine capable of doing so, however that will require crowd funding."

Obviously I can't verify any of this...
Old 13 January 2016, 23:55   #50
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Maybe it will turn out to be true, and while everyone is more than welcome to express their opinion, simply repeating the same line over and over again doesn't really add a lot, does it? And is not what makes a thread interesting to read IMO. ��
Well that's damn magnanimous of you, allowing me to express my opinion, on a public forum of all places. Cheers bud
Old 14 January 2016, 04:50   #51
Amiga1992

Quote:
The (highly optimistic) team behind this idea say they'll probably go ahead and build a modern dreamcast through crowdfunding even if SEGA tells them to "p1ss off".
And how exactly would they release a product of Sega without their consent? This makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't have access to the name or any of the technology of the Dreamcast unless they go ahead and re-engineer it which will probably land them a sweet lawsuit.
Old 14 January 2016, 10:19   #52
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And how exactly would they release a product of Sega without their consent? This makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't have access to the name or any of the technology of the Dreamcast unless they go ahead and re-engineer it which will probably land them a sweet lawsuit.
I was wondering about that too. However, the Dreamcast is mostly off the shelf components. Hitachi SH-4 CPU, Power VR GPU, Windows CE as OS...
Was it Intellivision that released an add on to play Atari 2600 games and got sued by Atari.. it turned out though, you could build an Atari 2600 clone using standard off the shelf components.. Regarding the name.. well.. not sure.. but something like DC2 is likely not copyrighted by Sega..

Last edited by eXeler0; 14 January 2016 at 12:47.
Old 14 January 2016, 12:45   #53
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And who would develope games for it? Surely no majors, only a few indie developer maybe. And then it ends fast. You remember the Ouya console?
Old 14 January 2016, 12:59   #54
eXeler0

Quote:
And who would develope games for it? Surely no majors, only a few indie developer maybe. And then it ends fast. You remember the Ouya console?
Maybe you should ask the guys who are pursuing this campaign, I'm just the messenger (and not even a Sega fanboi)
but my *impression* is that they want modernized hardware that is easy to connect to and hook up to modern TVs.
(probably for the same reason we look forward to Vampire 600 v2 with HDMI out and SD card hard drive etc..)
What they want is to continue to play existing software (but rendered at higher resolutions) and also to embrace the existing indy Dev community.
Not sure why so many in this forum automatically assume this console must sell millions of units, compete with PS4 or it will be a failure.
Pretty sure that's not the goal here for this campaign anyway.

As a collector I always look forward to obscure consoles manufactured in low quantities.. So if this thing ever comes out I'll be buying it and leave it in the box in mint condition 😆
Old 14 January 2016, 13:20   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Compared to 1995-2000 the world is full of gaming devices, mostly portable. Well you've asked if Sega fans or this console in general can make a difference. Judging from the mentioned goals, no. Not even a footnote in gaming history.

This concept isn't well thought out. Especially indie developer needs a big platform like Steam to sell enough units to make their work worthwhile economically.

Quote:
As a collector I always look forward to obscure consoles manufactured in low quantities.. So if this thing ever comes out I'll be buying it and leave it in the box in mint condition 😆
Ok, this is another hobby and has nothing to do with gaming.
Old 14 January 2016, 15:31   #56
eXeler0

Quote:
Compared to 1995-2000 the world is full of gaming devices, mostly portable. Well you've asked if Sega fans or this console in general can make a difference. Judging from the mentioned goals, no. Not even a footnote in gaming history.

This concept isn't well thought out. Especially indie developer needs a big platform like Steam to sell enough units to make their work worthwhile economically.
There are a few teams still doing stuff regardless of the current situations and other people's opinion..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...reamcast_games

Whether a modernized version would actually lure in new devs as opposed to make the current bunch happier is speculation of course.
But maybe they see it as "successful enough" if they can sell 35,000 units, IDK.

Quote:
Ok, this is another hobby and has nothing to do with gaming.
It was a personal side-note as I'm interested in supporting the project even though I'm not a Sega fanboi, deal with it 😉
Old 14 January 2016, 15:43   #57
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
There are a few teams still doing stuff regardless of the current situations and other people's opinion..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...reamcast_games
Developer like Ng.Dev.Team produces boxed games for the original Dreamcast and Neo Geo. You can't compare this with developments for a generic game box like "DC2". Anyway, everything important related to this topic was already said.
Old 15 January 2016, 21:39   #58
eXeler0

One more ;-)
How about if SEGA would do like SNK with NeoGeo Gold and pitched it as an overpriced "35,000 copies limited edition DreamCast Reloaded". ;-)
Old 15 January 2016, 21:49   #59
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You mean a device like the generic Neo Geo X handheld, with a "stolen" Final Burn Alpha emulator implemented that emulate some Neo Geo games in bad quality?
Old 16 January 2016, 02:10   #60
eXeler0

Quote:
You mean a device like the generic Neo Geo X handheld, with a "stolen" Final Burn Alpha emulator implemented that emulate some Neo Geo games in bad quality?
Yes, you are reading my mind. Now we can all return to Grumpyland where nothing can ever be good and everything that is ever made will be crap and fail til the end of time. Ciao