English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 December 2012, 17:17   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorbamboo View Post
hi foob

well, here's a nice video tutorial on how to install wb on cf via uae.

[ Show youtube player ]
That is NOT what you have to do.
He has a CF on the PCMCIA port, NOT on the IDE.
Do NOT follow that video.
Old 29 December 2012, 17:22   #22
foob

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorbamboo View Post
hi foob

well, here's a nice video tutorial on how to install wb on cf via uae.

[ Show youtube player ]
Thank you for your video. Ive had a quick look at that instructs to use the "Add Hard Drive" feature in winUAE as aopposed to adding as a directory, This is what i was previous about to do before being shown the other way. I'm going to try adding it as a directory first and seeing if that works because it seems a lot safer, but will come back to this if that doesnt work and there arent any major issues with it (unless someone tells me its a bad idea)
Old 29 December 2012, 17:34   #23
majorbamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That is NOT what you have to do.
He has a CF on the PCMCIA port, NOT on the IDE.
Do NOT follow that video.

Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry :l

Old 29 December 2012, 17:44   #24
foob

OK, so heres what happened.

I used winUAE to add a folder/directory, then boot from the install disk from a 2.05 set (using a 2.04 ROM as it was the only one i had and 3.1 was bitchy about installing an older version of workbench). I then proceeded from step 21 of the guide that i found and then it seemed to install successfully. I ejected all workbench floppies from winUAE and boot again just to test, and it worked perfectly in winUAE. So this part seemed to go OK.

However, at this point im unsure what to do next (or what im forgetting to do next). I place the CF card in its current state into my PCMCIA adapter, put it in the amiga and turn it on, and its as if it wasnt there. am i missing something?
Old 29 December 2012, 17:47   #25
Amiga1992

Good job!

Now you should use the bootdisk I uploaded to try and see if your A600 will boot from the CF. You will need the EasyADF software to transsfer that ADF to floppy.

The CF card will not boot without the boot floppy I uploaded for you.
Old 29 December 2012, 17:53   #26
foob

Thanks for the quick reply, although i fear i may have hit an impasse at this point.

I assume the bootdisk you uploaded was to that link in the top right called "The Zone", but i do not have access that that, most likely given to the fact ive only created my account to day (which is fair enough, and things can be uploaded elsewhere so this isnt the main problem).

The problem i see at this point, is that i have no way to write the boot disk to a floppy, unless i'm missing something. I couldn't use EasyADF to write floppies to begin with as i lacked a working WB 2.05 disk. so EasyADF will not work until i provide it one. i have already tried to boot with the EasyADF disk with the WB installed on the CF but that, as you probably already know, didn't work.

I should also point out something i forgot to mention before.... i actually possess a USB floppy drive incase winUAE is able to make use of that the same way it has with this CF card. Although its currently my understanding that this is not possible to to hardware constraints.

EDIT:- i figured out how to access the boot disk download in the zone, and it is indeed a .adf file. am i stuck from this point?

Last edited by foob; 29 December 2012 at 19:07.
Old 29 December 2012, 19:08   #27
roy bates

dont worry, anyone can access the zone,a mod will be along shortly to explain how to do it.
Old 29 December 2012, 20:56   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
dont worry, anyone can access the zone,a mod will be along shortly to explain how to do it.

Here you go, foob.

How do I get access to the zone?
Old 29 December 2012, 21:43   #29
foob

Thanks for all your help. I have the file that was uploaded but it is a .adf file. I fear at this point i may be stuck, as i cannot see a way to write the .adf image to a floppy. I cannot currently use EasyADF because i dont have a working WB disk.

is there anything i'm unaware of at this point?
Old 29 December 2012, 22:57   #30
roy bates

looks like a catch 22 again,if like i can post out the floppy to you foob.
Old 29 December 2012, 23:10   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Go for it, foob!

Let's face it, you're going to need a Workbench disk at some point.
Old 29 December 2012, 23:42   #32
foob

Well, if im stuck i suppose i will need the disk at some point anyway. Looks like i'll have to take you up on your offer after all.

How would you like to do this? shall i post you out a few blank disks and then you just send them back with WB on them? if so, i only have 1.44MB disks i've taped up some im not sure enough if they are suitable. Hit me up in PM if you would prefer to discuss in private, ill be on for a while yet.

http://imgur.com/yNKhK - included proof of my original WB 2.05 disks just to show this isnt an elaborate solicitation and everythings above board.
Old 29 December 2012, 23:43   #33
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I cant remember what files are on EasyADF but without confusing things can you mount the CF from shell?

-I guess it probably doesnt have command mount etc -Sorry maybe you have a disk or coverdisk with this command - confusion

Last edited by Retro1234; 29 December 2012 at 23:52.
Old 29 December 2012, 23:58   #34
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob View Post
Well, if im stuck i suppose i will need the disk at some point anyway. Looks like i'll have to take you up on your offer after all.

How would you like to do this? shall i post you out a few blank disks and then you just send them back with WB on them? if so, i only have 1.44MB disks i've taped up some im not sure enough if they are suitable. Hit me up in PM if you would prefer to discuss in private, ill be on for a while yet.

http://imgur.com/yNKhK - included proof of my original WB 2.05 disks just to show this isnt an elaborate solicitation and everythings above board.

dont worry about blanks i have thousands.
i dont need proof at all,i just want to help.

just send me a pm with your address and postcode and there yours

by the way does your easyadf disk look like this?

im just curius.

EDIT:when using the workbench disks its good idea to only backup disks of the originals,saves alot of hassle in the future.

Last edited by roy bates; 30 December 2012 at 00:09.
Old 30 December 2012, 00:34   #35
foob

Nope, it looks like this.

http://i.imgur.com/m5s0x.jpg (not img tagged due to photo resolution)

Are you sure you don't want anything for the disks? i would prefer an exchange, even if its a monetary one. its just more polite.
Old 30 December 2012, 00:42   #36
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob View Post
Nope, it looks like this.

http://i.imgur.com/m5s0x.jpg (not img tagged due to photo resolution)

Are you sure you don't want anything for the disks? i would prefer an exchange, even if its a monetary one. its just more polite.

nope,i dont need anything honest.not even postage.

(simply because its pennys)
Old 30 December 2012, 00:57   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
by the way does your easyadf disk look like this?

im just curius.
Hi Roy,

The label indicates that it's a product of German eBay seller René Töbing. His products appear quite polished, though I can't vouch for their legitimacy.
Old 30 December 2012, 00:59   #38
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Roy,

The label indicates that it's a product of German eBay seller René Töbing. His products appear quite polished, though I can't vouch for their legitimacy.

hi prowler,i have two of these i cant remember where i got them from altough they do work very well.
Old 30 December 2012, 02:39   #39
Amiga1992

OK, it is very lame of the EasyADF kit to require a Workbench disk. What for???
I could probably make an alternative to that which doesn't require such stuff. I'm gonna look into it.

People who buy that probably don't have any friggin' disk so it should be a self-contained solution.

Foob, if I had any disks I'd send you the bootdisk no problem either. I actually have a second class envelope already paid for which I could put it in. I will check if I don;t have a copy of the bootdisk around already. if I do I can send it over.
Old 30 December 2012, 02:43   #40
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
OK, it is very lame of the EasyADF kit to require a Workbench disk. What for???
I could probably make an alternative to that which doesn't require such stuff. I'm gonna look into it.

People who buy that probably don't have any friggin' disk so it should be a self-contained solution.

Foob, if I had any disks I'd send you the bootdisk no problem either. I actually have a second class envelope already paid for which I could put it in. I will check if I don;t have a copy of the bootdisk around already. if I do I can send it over.

dont worry akira ive done the disk you put in the zone and all the workbench disks already,they will be posted out monday,(plus backups)

your disk looks very nice by the way.