English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 June 2005, 20:47   #1
NPI

could WinUAE run this?

HELP !!!

I just found an old CD that appears to be my very first backup of my amiga's HD, and there I found a lot of files without any extension and a bunch of .LBM, .INFO etc... files.

so can I emulate it somehow?
Old 22 June 2005, 21:19   #2
Dr. Dude

sure, kick the disk in and copy evrything to a folder, loadup the folder in winuae as hd drive, and you can mess around whit all the files...

If you have workbench installed
Old 22 June 2005, 21:30   #3
NPI

workbench? naah I don't have it

where can I get it?

ps thnx for the help
Old 22 June 2005, 21:38   #4
oldpx

>> FAQ << is waiting for you for ten months.

Quote:

Old 23 June 2005, 01:56   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

If your CD is a backup of your whole system drive, then you'll already have Workbench installed. Just set up WinUAE to emulate something close to the way your original Amiga was set up, setup the folder as a hard drive using the same device name you used on your original system (DH0:, etc). If it was an A3000, then you probably had either wb_1.3:, wb_2.x:, or both, as well as Work:. If you can't remember, it's worth trying DH0: or HD0:, both of which I found to be quite common over the years.
Old 23 June 2005, 21:22   #6
NPI

damn. when I try to copy those folders on my HD it says: Cannot read from the source file or disk

on the CD i have two folders HD0 and HD1. now when I try to start HD1 (from the CD) on WinUAE, there's a window that says: Program failed (error #800000008)

help
Old 23 June 2005, 22:16   #7
Marcuz

can you browse the inside of the directories? if so, try copy them subdir by subdir until you find the broken directory, if any. if it is a not important one, like libs: you can then substitute it later with a new one with the same/analogue files. try at least to copy relevant directories, the ones that you know contains personalized files.
but if the cd is scratched or broken, i don't think there is much you can do.
Old 23 June 2005, 23:25   #8
NPI

^yeah that's just what I did. there's a few files that cannot be copied for some reason, but they ain't much relevant (at leas I think)

now when I start the folder where I copied everything only the AmigaDOS screen appears and anything else... what's this all about?

EDIT:

okay now it works but on the Workbench Screen I can't see HD1 or HD0 drives. and it says that volume Work is not inserted!

Last edited by NPI; 23 June 2005 at 23:42.
Old 23 June 2005, 23:48   #9
Marcuz

well some files in bootable disk or hardisk are bundled for the successful boot: the startup-sequence in the s: dir that call for files in the c: dir wich contains the amigados commands; these may need for files in the libs and devs directories etc. then there is the disk-configuration file (correct name? i don't rem now) wich store some boot information etc.
best thing you can do is copy all your files in a pc directory that you will set as non bootable hdir in winuae, while your hdf or hdir of boot will be a different one made from scratch: if you have the relevant workbench disks and kickstart roms, you can install one of them neat setup as bloodwych, aiab, or amisys ones.
for all that you need to do i point you to the faqs of the board. i suggest you also to read the guides of Paul the green amiga alien that you will find there.
when all it is done, you will browse from your new workbench the content of your salvaged directories and you will keep what you need.

edit after your edit of previous post: really mate, there is much of amiga dos basic mechanic you seem to not know, you really need to read the faqs as all you need is explained there.
Old 24 June 2005, 06:36   #10
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I forgot to mention that you also need to give the same volume name you used before as well. For example, I used to have an A2000, it's DH0: had a volume name of System3.1:. Sounds like you might need to set HD1: to Work: (the system drive is more likely to be listed as SYS:, but you might want to correct that as well, if there are any references to your HD0: volume name).
Old 24 June 2005, 09:40   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPI
HELP !!!

I just found an old CD that appears to be my very first backup of my amiga's HD, and there I found a lot of files without any extension and a bunch of .LBM, .INFO etc... files.

so can I emulate it somehow?
old CD? Well, it's a kind of kludge, but you can just try making an .ISO from your CD on the PC, mount it in Daemon Tools and access it as a HD!
This is the only way out if you do not have a wb (as you cannot use a real CD driver without!)
Old 24 June 2005, 09:47   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPI
it says that volume Work is not inserted!
Yes, DO NOT use 'Work:'! It was an example of what the volume names *could* be. But this is the *custom* volume name you give by CLI command 'relabel', no built-in one!
Try to use standard volume names like DH0.
And when setting up Harddrives => Add Directory in WinUAE, try to do without the colon ( : ). I'm not sure whether WinUAE can digest this now correctly, but I remember I had problems with booting my WB HDF if I used "DH0:" instead of "DH0".
Old 24 June 2005, 15:11   #13
NPI

^okay, I did all from above and this is what I get on the startup screen (attachment)

after this, I can't see the drawers again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.PNG
Views:	325
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	8760  
Old 24 June 2005, 17:24   #14
Dr. Dude

Ok lets go on from start
-have the perfect config to ur old Amiga
-Make 2 folders, call it DH0 and DH1 (as this is most used)
-Load these up whit in the config
-do a clean install of Wb 3.1. on DH0
-In windows open the cd and copy all and evrything to the DH1 folder

Then start ur proces of taking what ur want, install dopus to make things easy