English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 August 2003, 23:58   #1
Parsec

Overdrive/Zappo CD-ROM Drive

Just got myself one of these beasties for my A1200, but am having a bit of a problem with it.

1) First I tried to install the drivers that came with it to the HD. The second disk is knackered so it failed part way through. Bugger.

2) Booted of the "OverCD" floppy which is a bootable disk that includes the CD drivers. Despite getting read errors it struggled through and I could use the CD drive.

3) Got the Zappo CD drivers off http://www.l8r.net/install/hdc.html and recreated the second floppy disk. Tried to reinstall the drivers to HD. No problem!

But when I try to access the CD-drive (doing CD0: <enter>) in CLI the computer locks up completely, mouse cursor and everything.

Any ideas ? Since the drive worked when I booted off floppy it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem?
Old 31 August 2003, 00:17   #2
RetroMan

Does this also happen, when accessing the CDRom from within the Workbench, or only in CLI
Old 31 August 2003, 09:20   #3
yadster

I had the same problem. I installed CacheCDFS and everything works fine now. Grab yourself IDEFIX'97 off Aminet and install that as this includes CacheCDFS.
Old 31 August 2003, 12:03   #4
Parsec

Quote:
Originally posted by yadster
I had the same problem. I installed CacheCDFS and everything works fine now. Grab yourself IDEFIX'97 off Aminet and install that as this includes CacheCDFS.
Great! Will give this a try. Can I just install this and leave the existing drivers and stuff, or would it be better to try to remove the Overdrive stuff first?

Just wondering what will happen if two CDFS's are installed?
Old 31 August 2003, 12:07   #5
Parsec

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Does this also happen, when accessing the CDRom from within the Workbench, or only in CLI
This is in CLI. I can't access it via Workbench, there's no icon when a disk is in. The documentation that comeswith the drive says I might have to copy an icon for this to happen I think.
Old 31 August 2003, 16:39   #6
yadster

I just installed the idefix'97 and left it at that, didn't need to do anything as it worked away. Where before accessing CDs was very slow or it would freeze it turned into a superfast CD drive allowing me to access PC CDs where before it would just crash out. Idefix'97 requires a registration number but that isn't a problem.
Old 31 August 2003, 23:09   #7
Parsec

Problem finally solved. But this was a trickly one so I'll document what happened in case it can help someone else, I've read a few posts on EAB about similar problems.

It seems that there are different versions of the Zappo drivers. I got some with the drive, but the second disk was screwed. So I downloaded the drivers off the web (http://www.l8r.net/install/hdc.html) and created myself a new disk 2 (the OverCD disk). Installed with these drivers and machine locked up totally when trying to access the CD.

On one occasion I managed to boot off my (knackered) OverCD disk and the CD-drive worked, so I started to think that was a good place to start. I took a copy of the disk and surpisingly it copied fine. But when I tried to install from it, the install failed saying it couldn't find a file or folder.

Next step was to have a look at the install script. It was trying to copy "cd0" and "cd0.info" out of BOTH Storage/CDO and Storage to my hard disk. The files simply weren't there in the storage folder, only in the CD0 subfolder. So I copied the files up a level on the floppy, re ran the installer and it worked. Rebooted the machine and the CD drive works a treat

As for IdeFix, well it screwed my machine. Got to the WB and froze up, so had to boot off floppy and rip it out of the s/seq and various folders.

The bottom line is that there must have been some kind of difference between the drivers disks I have and the ones off the web site.

But thanks for all your help people. Got there in the end

Now to grab an OS 3.9 CD
Old 01 September 2003, 10:35   #8
yadster

Glad you got it sorted and sorry about messing your computer up. Strange how something works for one miggy and not another. I've used CacheCDFS on two drives, a Zappo and a Scsi and it improved them both no end. I've just bought OS3.5 and am considering upgrading as well.