English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 May 2022, 22:29   #1
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Simon the Sorcerer Origins

Don't think this one was mentioned yet. Just how corny can you get. It's a prequel... and they're subtitling it Origins. The sheer originality oozing from this is already giving me a lot of faith!

[ Show youtube player ]

Well... I guess they still have a year+ to lookup screenshots of the original games to figure out what Simon actually looked like.
Old 30 May 2022, 23:08   #2
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The sheer originality oozing from this is already giving me a lot of faith!
... You're being sarcastic, right?

Quote:
Well... I guess they still have a year+ to lookup screenshots of the original games to figure out what Simon actually looked like.
Big time. Even with no dialogue in the trailer - and perhaps because of there being no dialogue in the trailer - I'm left with serious doubts about whether they even understand the character or what made the first game so great (and why the sequels were so disappointing).
Old 30 May 2022, 23:21   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Ugly and pathetic if I cay say.
Old 30 May 2022, 23:37   #4
dreadnought

Looks pretty lame, but so does Monkey Island and yet everybody swooned over that.
Old 31 May 2022, 00:14   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
... You're being sarcastic, right?
Flippant, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Looks pretty lame, but so does Monkey Island and yet everybody swooned over that.
I don't know, I remember reading (and voicing) some concerns. But it is no comparison, Monkey Island comes from the source so there is good hope there. Simon is being produced by god knows who for a reason I can't really fathom right now. Do they expect this to actually sell?
Old 31 May 2022, 03:36   #6
Matt_H

Quote:
I don't know, I remember reading (and voicing) some concerns. But it is no comparison, Monkey Island comes from the source so there is good hope there. Simon is being produced by god knows who for a reason I can't really fathom right now. Do they expect this to actually sell?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 31 May 2022, 05:53   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Do they expect this to actually sell?
They do. There's a market for sequels to long forgotten games/IPs and I guess it's not doing too unwell. Heck they even brought Zool to Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Redimensioned/
Old 31 May 2022, 07:02   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
OH my... Zool looks so terrible as always ;-)
Old 31 May 2022, 09:33   #9
grond

I don't get all this negativity. I think it looks nice and I think the same about the new Monkey Island. Grumpy old men?
Old 31 May 2022, 09:39   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Grumpy old men?
Damn, I knew my avatar was too subtle!
Old 31 May 2022, 10:13   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
They do. There's a market for sequels to long forgotten games/IPs and I guess it's not doing too unwell. Heck they even brought Zool to Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Redimensioned/
Yeah but Zool at least looks and sounds recognisable and plays familiar. It is essentially Zool Amiga, with a wider resolution and new levels (and a new move). They played the nostalgia card real hard which is kind of important when you want to sell classic game rewhatevers that the kids won't know at all.

For Simon... I really wonder who they think their target audience is.
Old 31 May 2022, 10:25   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
For Simon... I really wonder who they think their target audience is.
People that buy games like Bubsy: Paws on Fire!? Maybe they went for the prequel route so parents will play it with their kids? I have no idea, but I just have to assume that there is money to be made. Otherwise it would make no sense to pump said money into a rather obscure 90s point 'n click adventure series that has laid dormant for 12 years.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get it in a bundle at one point
Old 31 May 2022, 10:29   #13
Konrad

You are not automatically grumpy just because you don't like a specific graphics style.

I'm also not happy with the art+animation of the new Monkey Island. But I can live with that, as I'm sure Ron Gilbert will make sure that the gameplay (puzzles, humour,...) will feel the same as in the original games. That's the most important.

I didn't really like the original Simon the Sorcerer, though, so couldn't care less about the new game.
Old 31 May 2022, 11:54   #14
dreadnought

Quote:
But it is no comparison, Monkey Island comes from the source so there is good hope there. Simon is being produced by god knows who for a reason I can't really fathom right now. Do they expect this to actually sell?
Coming "from the source" is not an automatic guarantee of quality (vide Broken Age, Shadowrun or anything by Brian Fargo), just like being produced by another team doesn't mean it'll be a certain failure.

Looking closer at this trailer I think it's only the main character which looks really naff. The background art is actually quite good in places and I'd defintely take this hand drawn style over MI, which just looks like made from the Unity's Asset store templates.

As for puzzles and such, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I must admit I also wasn't that hot about the original StS myself. I liked the gfx a lot but would rate everything else just as "okay-ish".
Old 31 May 2022, 12:03   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
As for puzzles and such, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I must admit I also wasn't that hot about the original StS myself. I liked the gfx a lot but would rate everything else just as "okay-ish".
The publisher is responsible for Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town which is a very decent point and click adventure game. So yeah, there is a chance that the game might actually be okay.
Old 31 May 2022, 13:55   #16
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Maybe they went for the prequel route so parents will play it with their kids?
I actually consider doing this. My little ones are reaching an age where they could be ready for some point'n'click fun and practice a little English on the way. I think it is the kind of character and humour they would enjoy.
Old 31 May 2022, 14:11   #17
S0ulA55a551n

I am kind of hoping that the art style for new MI was just created for the trailer/announcement. I am personally hoping for old style pixel art or MI3 looked really nice.

As long as its not 3d
Old 31 May 2022, 14:14   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
As long as its not 3d
Ron wouldn't do that to us. I actually don't mind the more abstract style of the trailer. As long as it doesn't go all out...
Old 31 May 2022, 14:24   #19
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
As long as its not 3d
To me there are two types of 3D: 3D scenes where perspective changes with play movement and "technical" 3D where you are essentially looking at a scenery from a fixed perspective but objects and characters are 3D rendered into it. I have no objections against the latter for this sort of game. Actually I think it is the technique of choice for this day and time. Of course, I do not object to layered 2D like in the StS-video above either.
Old 31 May 2022, 21:31   #20
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Coming "from the source" is not an automatic guarantee of quality (vide Broken Age, Shadowrun or anything by Brian Fargo), just like being produced by another team doesn't mean it'll be a certain failure.
Thimbleweed Park was enough proof that the classic adventure spirit is still alive in and through Ron so I'm staying optimistic on that one.