English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 January 2013, 17:55   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

SSD 8Gb IDE Flash as Slave with FastAta?

Hi:
I bought this recently :

http://www.ebay.es/itm/310438770478?...ht_5522wt_1245

Just 21 euros for 8Gb (free sending), it fits perfect under the keyboard (5mm left) and I can select master/slave.
My idea is to use it on the 40pin free connector I've got on my miggy with Fast Ata (I've got also a Dvd drive), and to have two hard drives.

I already have a Cf adapter on the 44pin connector, the one I use with a lateral slot to change Cf HD's externally.

So will this work? I would need also to get a ribbon 44pin male (SSD) to 40 pin female (to the Fast Ata) that I don't know where to get.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2013 at 21:09.
Old 09 January 2013, 18:45   #2
lesta_smsc

There was something I read about SSD drives with another device and the fact it was 'not good' - despite what logic would tell you due to very fast read/write.

There are ways to convert CF to SSD (or use as SSD) - although I suspect an IDE to CF would be your best bet?
http://www.daniel-boehmer.de/thinkpad-cf/

Also check : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58684
Old 09 January 2013, 19:25   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I think I don't lose anything trying. But I've got to find a ribbon 44pin male to 40 pin female.

Edit: I will try first with SysInfo to see any speed difference with the Fast Ata using the SSD or a Cf. If there isn't I will use the SSD in another miggy. Right now I'm decompressing a rar file with the system from the Pcmcia with Dopus. I could make it faster with this cable http://www.ebay.es/itm/USB-2-0-to-ID...ht_3840wt_1245 but I need a male-male cable.

Edit: I've tried it in a miggy without Fast Ata, just an ACA 31/42, ACATune 1.7 and it was giving the same Mflops (9.98), and a little more speed with the SSD on DH0; 2.137.043 over 2.053.722; both with PFS3 and the same Buffers (300).
Anyway I think I will leave it in this miggy just for that; doesn't need a fast ata to give more, but I'll report with it tomorrow.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2013 at 12:34.
Old 10 January 2013, 12:35   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

With the Fast Ata at Pio 3 I've got with the ACA 1230/56 and the
SSD 12.61 MFlops and in DH0 5.825.422.
With a Cf (Sandisk Ultra, 30Mb/s) 12.58 MFlops and in DH0 5.740.379

What it's annoying is that I always get read attempt outside partition with more than Pio 3, no matter what HD I use. I don't know if it's a problem with the file system or with my Fast Ata.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2013 at 12:41.
Old 10 January 2013, 18:49   #5
daxb

SysInfo isn`t a good choice for hd speed measurement. Use SysSpeed or DriveSpeed that comes with fast-ata software.

My fast-ata mk1 works fine with PIO4 and 80GB HD. I would guess that your fast-ata is the reason. Only really old devices don`t support PIO4 or higher. E.g. my 2xCDR support PIO3 max.
Old 10 January 2013, 19:06   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok. This is the incredible thing that happens:
I've used in the 8Gb Cf, FixHDSize from Thomas and I selected to make the changes. Later I noticed that it has changed the number of cylinders to 8322, so a total of 4095Mb. I used PFSDoctor and it fixed a couple of things.

Well, I run it now with Pio 5 (in DH0 I've got 9,590,634).... but the 8Gb Cf is used now as 4Gb.

I've tried also FixHDSize with the 8Gb SSD, but it's ok with 8Gb... ??¿¿
And it always tells about read attempt outside partition with more than Pio 3.

In both I have PFS3AIO
Old 10 January 2013, 20:22   #7
thomas

1. please read the readme file of the FastATA software about how to disable split mode. Obviously the driver splitted the drive into two 4GB parts.

2. please set MaxTransfer of all partitions to 0x1fe00 (shouldn't be necessary with FastATA software running IMHO, but you never know).
Old 10 January 2013, 20:49   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
1. please read the readme file of the FastATA software about how to disable split mode. Obviously the driver splitted the drive into two 4GB parts.

2. please set MaxTransfer of all partitions to 0x1fe00 (shouldn't be necessary with FastATA software running IMHO, but you never know).
Absolutely right like always. I forgot to tell that yes, in the Cf I've got it as Split, and not in the SSD (it made it by it's own).

I've got already 0x1fe00 and mask 0x7ffffffe, 300 buffers in all the partitions.

Ok, I've changed it to no split and later changed with FixHDSize and later changed with HDTools the latest partition size to fill all.... And it keeps running with Pio 5 ...9,709,037 in DH0.

Edit: BTW should I run now again PFSDoctor?

Can you tell me something to try with the SSD HD, please? Or do you have an idea why the read attempt outside partition happens?

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2013 at 21:05.
Old 10 January 2013, 21:22   #9
thomas

Please describe your setup: which drives are master, which drives are slave, which drives are on the first controller, which drives are on the second controller, what cables do you use and where are they connected to?
Old 10 January 2013, 21:30   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Right now I'm just trying. When trying the SSD I just have it connected to the 44 pins output and a Dvd to one of the 40 pins (the one of the right of the two of them). I disconnect the Cf hd adapter from the 44 pins to try the SSD.

The SSD needs no cable; just to plug it over. I can disconnect the Dvd and leave just the SSD HD if you like.

Edit: Yes, I don't see the reason for my problem, surely you won't either.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2013 at 21:47.
Old 10 January 2013, 22:26   #11
thomas

I do not know the FastATA, so you have to tell me. I know that the 44pin connector is shortened with one of the 40pin connector. These two build the first channel. The second 40pin connector is the second channel. You may have only one master and one slave on each channel. So if you use the 44pin connector you have to be careful how you use the 40pin connectors. The 40pin connector which is combined with the 44pin connector may have only one device and must be slave if the 44pin device is master.

I would try the SSD solely as master on one channel and connect the DVD and the CF to the other channel.
Old 10 January 2013, 23:15   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I would try the SSD solely as master on one channel and connect the DVD and the CF to the other channel.
That's what I do; the same connection that with the Cf; I just swap the SSD to try it. Just trying the SSD on the primary port (44 pins), not another HD (Cf) by now. I could try like this post with two HD's (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=787619&postcount=36), but I just can't get it running alone with more than Pio 3.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:50   #13
daxb

I think that isn`t the problem you have: I just want to mention that the lowest PIO mode will affect the device at the same port. I.e. devices with different PIO modes will always use the lowest for both.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:37   #14
roy bates

hi retrofan,have you checked your cables?

if you cant get past pio 3,some me included have had problems with the rom sockets being a different type to the fastata altough its not the same problem i think to yours.

check the cables are rated for ata 133 use.
as for different pios on the same cable using the lowest one,this is not true.you can have different pios on the same cable.and they can be set individuely for each device.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:43   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

My FastAta is MKII.

What it's happening with the Cf HD is the following: It runs in Pio 5 now (although I have to reboot it a couple of times with software problem, or just freezing), but if I try to use FixHDSize it tells it has 4Gb. Then I change it to no Split, first I Use it and then I Save it. Even then I reinstall it again with the installer as No split. Then if I run FixHDSize it tells it's ok with 8Gb, but after a reboot it will be splitted, showing with FixHDSize it as 4Gb.

There must be a way to fix that. Here I attach the readme file in rar.

Edit: No, it's more complex. The preferences say: Disk no Split. And behind the button/option to change, that always shows Split and you can change. It only asks you if you are sure to change the disk installation when you select to use or save as Split, so it's supossed to be saved as No Split.... But as I've told, if you run FixHDSize it will show it as 4Gb. Dunno why after "re"saving the preferences as no split then FixHDSize shows the right one.

Actually I don't have but 2 small partitions, under 4Gb. Perhaps could I fix it saving it again as no split and then installing the third partition and saving it with HDTools?
Attached Files
File Type: rar Readme.rar (6.8 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 January 2013 at 13:21.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:05   #16
daxb

@roy bates:
I`m really sure that I read it somewhere (years ago) that an old device (<=PIO3) can (or will?) slow down a faster device when on the same port. This might be only true for fast-ata MK1?

@Retrofan:
If you access your CF (HD or whatever) with HDToolbox, HDInstTools or similar programs you must run ATA3Prefs first and select NoSplit (if it is your wish). After that press USE button. ATA3Prefs sets Split as default. So you have to start ATA3Prefs when you want to use NoSplit. Blame elbox for that. At least this is true for MK1.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:16   #17
roy bates

@daxb:

nope,its not true for any fastata even a powerflyer.
Old 11 January 2013, 18:41   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
hi retrofan,have you checked your cables?
It could be ok with the Cf adapter, but with the SSD I don't use any cable, I just plug it to the Fast Ata and it doesn't work with more than Pio 3.

@daxb you say "ATA3Prefs sets Split as default.". Yes, it seems to be as default, and FixHDSize seems to demostrate that, but why then when changing it to split it asks is you are sure to change the disk installation?

I've tried with the option "Resident" in the s-s and I've tried also with it and with the preferences as resident, ... but after a reboot FixHDSize shows it as 4Gb.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 January 2013 at 19:45.
Old 11 January 2013, 21:20   #19
daxb

I don`t know FixHDSize, sorry. IMHO Split is nowadays really senseless. 10-15 years ago there might be a reason for it. I would recommend that you avoid Split.