English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 February 2020, 10:57   #1
manicx

Installing WB 3.9 to CF on my A4k

I got a new CF kit to my A4k. Just when I was about to backup my HDDs (2 in number), my main HDD decided to die before even copying a file. Strangely enough, I have backups of 2/3 partitions, but not the system one.

I know that the best way to go, is to install the OS to the CF card through WinUAE. However, I am not sure

a) By default OS3.9 will support my IDE buffered interface (I will use just the CF and a CD-ROM, both as masters in each IDE socket)

b) When to install Picasso96. I have a CV64 in my A4k. If I install in WinUAE, will it mess up with the modes if I transfer the CF to my Amiga?

My A4k has just the CV64 and the IDE buffered interface that may require additional software and I want to focus on these at first.

I am not sure if it possible to install OS3.9 directly from the CD to a blank partition directly on my Amiga and if yes, how?
Old 12 February 2020, 15:05   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi ya, easiest way is to install with WinUAE as you say.

Once on the Amiga you should be able to setup the CD without additional software however you could install idefix97 as this will guide you through full setup and has a useful CD32 emulator.

Picasso 96 installer is again quite straightforward or you can use CGX4 for slightly better performance.

Finally yes you can do the whole install on the Amiga using a boot Disk to load the CD driver this is what we did back in the day.
Old 12 February 2020, 16:32   #3
manicx

Thanks! I have the original disk of IDEFix that was sent to me back in 99 I think with the serial. I suppose the Aminet Version requires that too?

Oh, just read that to have both ports working on my interface, I must use IDEFix. Thought that OS3.9 is capable of this out of the box.
Old 12 February 2020, 20:26   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx View Post
Thanks! I have the original disk of IDEFix that was sent to me back in 99 I think with the serial. I suppose the Aminet Version requires that too?

Oh, just read that to have both ports working on my interface, I must use IDEFix. Thought that OS3.9 is capable of this out of the box.
I can't recall offhand, you might be right the IDEFix is required to activate the second channel. With OS3.9 for sure you could make Master/Slave on IDE0 with no additional software.

Your key should work with the Aminet version or just search for Power Computing IDEFIX97 key in google.

Good luck
Old 12 February 2020, 23:19   #5
manicx

I have a problem with installing boing bags. It asks me for CD and even though I have an iso mounted, nothing happens .... Any ideas?

Old 13 February 2020, 09:27   #6
thomas

Is it an ISO of the original CD? It needs AmigaOS3.9 as label and requires the multimedia files and everything in the respective directories.
Old 13 February 2020, 11:59   #7
manicx

Hi Thomas... I solved the issue with

assign AmigaOS3.9: CD0:

Everything went smooth after that.
Old 23 March 2020, 15:52   #8
manicx

Ok, not to start a new topic, everything was proceeding ok with installing to CF, but I needed some hardware that I ordered and I waited almost a month to receive it. During this time, I didn't install anything and now that I decided to proceed, I do not remember if I installed Boing Bags 1 & 2 in my OS3.9 installation. Meh, we are getting older and forget stuff. How can I tell if I installed boing bags?
Old 23 March 2020, 20:52   #9
Daedalus

Check the Workbench versions (Workbench->About... or version in the shell). 45.1 is the original, 45.2 is BB1 and 45.3 is BB2. Also, the copyright date in the titlebar of the Workbench screen on booting will give an idea: 2000 is original, 2001 is BB1 and 2002 is BB2.