English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 February 2010, 18:43   #1
lost_lemming

out of all the Amiga Format mags, which

one did you think was worth the buy the most? or, which one do you still think is the best one in terms of the page contents and the coverdisks.

I think this one was the best. #28
http://amr.abime.net/issue_184

also whilst on the subject of Amiga format, what's the reason this mag aint going now? Did it start to lose sales in the late 90s? They went all the way to the year 2000 I just checked. If they came back I still think they could have like a CD or something with ADF's? no?
Old 25 February 2010, 18:48   #2
Graham Humphrey

Why did it close? I would think that's obvious isn't it? It didn't break even anymore, it was losing money so Future Publishing decided to close it down. Same as any other magazine that's no longer commercially viable. Frankly I think it's amazing it lasted almost halfway through 2000 - by the end its circulation was down to about 10,000 I believe.
Old 25 February 2010, 19:09   #3
Paul_s

Issue #18

http://amr.abime.net/issue_174

Was the first Amiga magazine I ever bought - still have the original one

I remember buying it from Asda on 21st December 1990 when me and my mum went shopping. I had to nag her to buy it for me! I got my Amiga 5oo at Christmas a few days later
Old 25 February 2010, 20:57   #4
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Issue #18
funny you should say that cause it was my first mag too! so yeah love this one too and just now, had a bash at all 3 levels. almost forgot how to beat the doom/10greenbottles one! but I cracked it here's some nostalgia hehheh

Old 25 February 2010, 21:16   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I use to be a subscriber back in the day and now kind of gutted that it all got binned The only AF i have is Issue 40 when I was getting back into Amiga and it had CrossDos as a cover Disk which helped be get started again so I guess Issue 40.
Old 25 February 2010, 21:19   #6
capehorn

One issue had good demos of Sensible Soccer and Jaguar XJ220. Also Revenge of the Mutant Camel which was a decent PD game. I'd probably go for that one. I only bought issues 3-50ish

Edit: #34 http://amr.abime.net/issue_190_contents
Old 25 February 2010, 21:40   #7
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I use to be a subscriber back in the day and now kind of gutted that it all got binned The only AF i have is Issue 40 when I was getting back into Amiga and it had CrossDos as a cover Disk which helped be get started again so I guess Issue 40.
I was browsing through an old set of AF's the other day and they didn't half cram LOTS of adverts in there! I use to have it delivered but always preferred Amiga Power. Their style of writing and the overall magazine were brilliant. I never did care for the 'Application' software in AF. Did like the hardware sorta stuff though!
Old 25 February 2010, 23:08   #8
Amigajay

Always thought Amiga Power was created by kids for kids, but thats just my opinion of course lol I like Amiga Format and Cu Amiga the best, a mixture of both games and apps, though The One Amiga was also good for just games (Couldnt stand Amiga Action though!) always funny to see which mag ended up with 4! cover disks on the front....i think it was The One who won in that respect!?
Mind you i was mag mag at that time buying countless mags each week, wished i would have kepted them they would be worth quite a bit now (console mags as well)...bring back Games-X!
Old 06 March 2010, 23:42   #9
amigang

My first issue was 77 of Amiga Format, very late in the game I know.
http://amr.abime.net/issue_233

I got it because i wanted to try and learn how to do 3d effects as good as I seen in Babylon5, with Real3D on the cover I thought I can do that, I think I only ever made the chess peace with it. lol

I did always enjoy the chirstmas mags, my fav was most likely the one that gave away GC F1 grand prix game, never played until I go it with the mag and was surprise by the graphics specially after an update with F1 Editor. Great game and program.
Old 06 March 2010, 23:49   #10
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Always thought Amiga Power was created by kids for kids, but thats just my opinion of course lol I like Amiga Format and Cu Amiga the best, a mixture of both games and apps, though The One Amiga was also good for just games (Couldnt stand Amiga Action though!) always funny to see which mag ended up with 4! cover disks on the front....i think it was The One who won in that respect!?
Mind you i was mag mag at that time buying countless mags each week, wished i would have kepted them they would be worth quite a bit now (console mags as well)...bring back Games-X!
lol, yeah, Amiga Power was not as grown up as AF. AF was for the more serious Amiga user and had an ok games review section.

AP were very honest with their reviews though and I respected them for upholding their fair/unbiased thoughts (not that AF was, but some mags would say a carp game was good when it clearly weren't!)
Old 06 March 2010, 23:57   #11
Graham Humphrey

AP certainly wasn't primarily a kids' mag though. I think that does the quality of writing and humour quite a big disservice.
Old 07 March 2010, 06:54   #12
ImmortalA1000

I have loads of issues but probably my favourites are either the one with Power Tower written on the front (DIY guide to towering your own Amiga in a PC case inc wiring diagram of A500/600/1200 PSU to standard PC PSU colour codes) which I found the most useful. The one about the launch of the Amiga 1200 was interesting too as it was the first real hardware C= released at the low end worth buying (A600 was nothing special and inferior in expandability to the A500+ it replaced).

edit: I presume nobody knows any place for some issues you can view or download (AMR misses out way too many pages to be worth my time as far as AF goes...many issues have only 16 pages scanned out of 200 if any at all)

Last edited by ImmortalA1000; 07 March 2010 at 06:55. Reason: extra bit
Old 10 March 2010, 07:24   #13
Welshieinnz

Heh, i`ve still got my ST Amiga format mags. Then got issue 1 of Amiga format until around 1994.
Old 10 March 2010, 08:54   #14
ami_junkie

Yeah I remember there were so many mags back then, Amiga Format, CU Amiga, Amiga Shopper and one of my favourites was Amiga User International, I still have a whole box-load of cover discs from them.

Old 10 March 2010, 09:30   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

http://amr.abime.net/issue_175

Issue 19, and it was the first one I got and also pretty much one of the first amiga magazines I got (from there I usually had Amiga Action. Sue me, I like childish humor and I *was* a kid at the time).

I don't know how many tigers and people I shot in the demo of Champion of the Raj, but I played that demo MANY times. That reminds me, I've never tried the full game...