English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.EAB File Server

Old 27 October 2017, 23:06   #1541
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I hate it. It has Google in it. I never had an issue with DL speed, 500k/sec is okay. 20 k is almost like dropping the connection.
So register an account and get the full speed, unrestricted... I don't see the problem?

Here is my thinking..

The problem I'm having is that people are using the ftp account to leech the entire FTP. This happens all the time and there are always a few "ftp" users that have been online for days.
That is my only problem. This was not a problem before when the speeds slowed down, when a lot of people were downloading, since it never used that much bandwidth anyway for me.

Other people had problems with the FTP previously when a lot of people were online at the same time though as the it slowed down quite significantly. I fixed that, but now we use a LOT of bandwidth because of it.
I do not have a problem with you guys using all the bandwidth. My problem is that there are STILL anonymous accounts online for days at a time, downloading the whole thing. Since I fixed the bandwidth problem, it has now become a problem that anonymous people do that.

My long term goal was to disable the anonymous accounts and allow everyone to register an account. If we no longer have an "ftp" account, which is classified as anonymous, I can set up rules.

With registered accounts, I can make it so you can only download, say 50GB/week for a registered account (Currently no limits on them). That would not cause any ill effects for any of you that simply want to download interesting parts, or the whole TOSEC release in one week, but it would put a hamper for those that which to download the whole FTP in one go.
It would still be possible to do so if you have a reason for it. You'd just have to ask me and I'll remove the limit for a week or whatever, for your specific account.

Anyway, that is/was my long term goal with all of this. The "google backup" was just simply a way to let those anonymous people grab what they want and it wont affect me/us.

I honestly thought people would be happy to register an account and use that instead to get rid of the 500k/sec limit, but I guess I was wrong. Either you are to lazy to do so or you do not see the benefits from it. I'm simply trying to find a way to save the bandwidth for the EAB members instead of all the people who found the link to the FTP somewhere else and have no interest in the EAB community.

If I am wrong in all this, please let me know. I'm happy to put everything back the way it was, slowing the whole thing down when a lot of people is downloading.

Last edited by Turran; 28 October 2017 at 12:00.
Old 28 October 2017, 00:20   #1542
MartinW

I don't have a problem with Google Drive by the way, whatever works as far as I'm concerned. But a quick question. Let's say that I was one of the people that want an account on the old FTP server because they prefer that / the way it used to be (again, not me). Are they still allowed to register for an upload account, just to download? The link suggests not.
Old 28 October 2017, 07:16   #1543
Turran

I'm not doing any checks to make sure you have an EAB account, so not much I can do to prevent that =)

I did pm RCK to see if it is possible to move the eabadduser page here, behind a member only page, but no response to that.

Last edited by Turran; 28 October 2017 at 07:33.
Old 28 October 2017, 11:58   #1544
Turran

I've added a "Show last 500 uploads" to the EABSearch web page so you can keep track of new stuff etc. Also to help me keep track so nobody uploads anything .. bad

http://www.grandis.nu:81/eabsearch/
or
https://www.grandis.nu:444/eabsearch/

And yes, html design is not my strong point =)

Changed the anonymous ftp account from 20k/sec to 50k/sec until we fine tune this thing.

Last edited by Turran; 28 October 2017 at 12:04.
Old 28 October 2017, 12:37   #1545
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
And yes, html design is not my strong point =)
Huh? It's beautiful! Markup and text. No ads, no scripts, no annoyances. Shit, you can even select text! It's not that granted anymore
Old 28 October 2017, 16:19   #1546
emufan

Quote:
I've added a "Show last 500 uploads"
that's a good addition. Dannyboy once had that feature, but was gone some moons ago
Old 28 October 2017, 21:35   #1547
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
that's a good addition. Dannyboy once had that feature, but was gone some moons ago
Oh yes, there was something like that If my memory serves, I removed it because usage of it was practically nonexistent
Old 28 October 2017, 22:36   #1548
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
Oh yes, there was something like that If my memory serves, I removed it because usage of it was practically nonexistent
yeah, it was not so well known - mentioned maybe once or twice between post #1 and #1500
Old 28 October 2017, 23:18   #1549
Turran

Testing the next phase in this. This might all change and I'm just playing around.

Registered users are limited to download 50GB/week. This is reset at midnight between Sunday and Monday so you get reset to 50GB again. Should be enough for everyone, yes? Its just to prevent people from registering accounts to leech the whole FTP (~1.2 TB) at once. If you have a reason for wanting more for a week or so, just let me know.

You can see your remaining credits by sending the command "site user <yourname>".

This gives everyone 4 options.
1: Log in with "ftp" and any password. There is no limit on how much you can download, but its locked at 50k/sec. If I see you online for days at a time, I'll probably lock out the IP.

2: Use the mirror (see first post).

3: Register an account. Only option if you want to upload. Downloading has no speed limit but it does have a limit of 50GB/week.
Register here: https://www.grandis.nu:444/eabadduser/
I've updated the explanation text there.

4: Grab whatever you want from google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XRvNkVOelNNRk0

Thoughts?

Last edited by Turran; 28 October 2017 at 23:32.
Old 28 October 2017, 23:22   #1550
prowler
Global Moderator

Sounds good to me!
Old 28 October 2017, 23:36   #1551
Turran

Turned off ident lookup at login. This should speed up login times. If you do not know what it is, you only have to know its faster now =)
Old 29 October 2017, 07:58   #1552
DamienD
Global Moderator

Good plan Turran

Thanks again for hosting and spending time looking at various solutions that should suit everyone.
Old 29 October 2017, 11:14   #1553
Dunny

Quote:
Turned off ident lookup at login. This should speed up login times. If you do not know what it is, you only have to know its faster now =)
That's fixed the delays while browsing using Chrome. Not that I use that now I have filezilla installed... Must get around to getting an upload account. The FTP is too handy not to use it.

I might even upload my Amilator utils to it too when I'm done.
Old 29 October 2017, 14:48   #1554
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
So register an account and get the full speed, unrestricted... I don't see the problem?

Here is my thinking..

The problem I'm having is that people are using the ftp account to leech the entire FTP. This happens all the time and there are always a few "ftp" users that have been online for days.
That is my only problem. This was not a problem before when the speeds slowed down, when a lot of people were downloading, since it never used that much bandwidth anyway for me.

Other people had problems with the FTP previously when a lot of people were online at the same time though as the it slowed down quite significantly. I fixed that, but now we use a LOT of bandwidth because of it.
I do not have a problem with you guys using all the bandwidth. My problem is that there are STILL anonymous accounts online for days at a time, downloading the whole thing. Since I fixed the bandwidth problem, it has now become a problem that anonymous people do that.

My long term goal was to disable the anonymous accounts and allow everyone to register an account. If we no longer have an "ftp" account, which is classified as anonymous, I can set up rules.

With registered accounts, I can make it so you can only download, say 50GB/week for a registered account (Currently no limits on them). That would not cause any ill effects for any of you that simply want to download interesting parts, or the whole TOSEC release in one week, but it would put a hamper for those that which to download the whole FTP in one go.
It would still be possible to do so if you have a reason for it. You'd just have to ask me and I'll remove the limit for a week or whatever, for your specific account.

Anyway, that is/was my long term goal with all of this. The "google backup" was just simply a way to let those anonymous people grab what they want and it wont affect me/us.

I honestly thought people would be happy to register an account and use that instead to get rid of the 500k/sec limit, but I guess I was wrong. Either you are to lazy to do so or you do not see the benefits from it. I'm simply trying to find a way to save the bandwidth for the EAB members instead of all the people who found the link to the FTP somewhere else and have no interest in the EAB community.

If I am wrong in all this, please let me know. I'm happy to put everything back the way it was, slowing the whole thing down when a lot of people is downloading.
Totally acceptable and you are way nicer than most leechers will ever deserve. We are talking about making the most out of finite resources.

Also, to those who complain and taking a top notch service like this for granted. Don't think about what to download next, think about what you can upload as well. If you have the mega leecher syndrome (acting like a hamster) and feel like there is something missing in your collection at any given time, before you leech the whole FTP site for the third time this week, use your brain instead, make list and compare (diff), only download the new stuff.

Last edited by modrobert; 29 October 2017 at 14:56.
Old 29 October 2017, 16:36   #1555
Turran

Just a normal sunday afternoon. This is the standard weekend. I doubt there are many EAB members logged in ..

Quote:
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Username | PID | OnLine | Action |
|----------+-------+----------+----------------------------------------------|
| ftp | 12039 | 01:29 | Dn: /~Uploads/Thalion at 137.2K/sec |
| ftp | 7292 | 05:42:17 | Dn: SNES_DVD.ISO at 47.9K/sec |
| ftp | 8956 | 12:05:54 | Dn: Pillmania-WHDL.lh at 57.2K/sec |
| ftp | 9607 | 35:22 | Dn: AmiMasterGear.rar at 54.2K/sec |
| ftp | 32567 | 17:59:57 | Dn: FrozenFish August at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 32568 | 17:59:57 | Dn: Fred Fish collect at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 2831 | 02:04:31 | Dn: Demos_WHDLoad.3.0 at 49.9K/sec |
| ftp | 9965 | 11:30:44 | Dn: TowerOfBabel_v2.0 at 50.2K/sec |
| ftp | 18171 | 25:58 | Dn: Tropical Island ( at 50.1K/sec |
| ftp | 8583 | 22:55 | Dn: /Commodore_Amiga/ at 48.8K/sec |
| amiga_fo | 13491 | 10:27:35 | "RETR SSF2T-3.DMS" |
| ftp | 8121 | 09:25:12 | Dn: BeneathASteelSky_ at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 18459 | 12:54 | Dn: AF_DTV_VOL_2.zip at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 31104 | 01:56:01 | Dn: /~Uploads/Codetap at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 3077 | 10:29 | Dn: Amiga_GameMusic.r at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 11185 | 26:57 | Dn: QuestForTheTimeBi at 50.5K/sec |
| ftp | 3413 | 02:26 | Idle: 00:21 |
| ftp | 13443 | 56:29 | Dn: /Commodore_Amiga/ at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 12275 | 18:04 | Dn: Now Thats What I at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 30276 | 03:22:02 | Dn: SpaceGun_v1.0_JST at 50.6K/sec |
| ftp | 8211 | 10:23 | Dn: PinballFantasies_ at 50.2K/sec |
| ftp | 21432 | 46:29 | Dn: QuestForTheTimeBi at 50.8K/sec |
| ftp | 31237 | 01:55:59 | Dn: /~Uploads/Codetap at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 29215 | 45:23 | Dn: /Commodore_Amiga/ at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 13507 | 09:58 | Dn: /Commodore_Amiga/ at 50.0K/sec |
| ftp | 28769 | 15:51 | Idle: 00:14 |
| ftp | 4818 | 06:44 | Dn: /Commodore_Amiga/ at 50.0K/sec |
`----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Edit: Changed maximum logins at a time for the "ftp" account from 40 to 20.

Last edited by Turran; 29 October 2017 at 16:42.
Old 29 October 2017, 17:22   #1556
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hmmm, interesting Turran

Someone seems to be downloading the "SNES_DVD.ISO" that I created and uploaded under "~Uploads/DamienD/SNES DVD":

Code:
|     <snip>                                                                 |
... DamienD's SNES DVD... [REVAMP]
... DamienD's SNES DVD...

Can't really imagine why, unless they are leeching everything?
Old 29 October 2017, 17:46   #1557
BippyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hmmm, interesting Turran

Someone seems to be downloading the "SNES_DVD.ISO" that I created and uploaded under "~Uploads/DamienD/SNES DVD":

Code:
... DamienD's SNES DVD... [REVAMP]
... DamienD's SNES DVD...

I firmly believe all users should have to fulfil certain criteria before being allowed on the ftp.. To stop leeching.

Minimum 15 on topic posts.. That kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 29 October 2017, 18:52   #1558
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I firmly believe all users should have to fulfil certain criteria before being allowed on the ftp.. To stop leeching.

I've seen it on a few other sites where you need a X amount of posts before you are allowed to get access to their FTP. One has a limit of 2GB per day the other 5GB per day. PPXclub has even stricter set of rules to get to their FTP
Old 29 October 2017, 19:00   #1559
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:

Agreed

...so have you cast your vote here then: Should the "EAB File Server" be locked down to members only?

As we can see from very recent activity; new members and I'm sure random people (from other Amiga forums that haven't even bothered to join EAB) are probably leeching parts / the whole FTP at some stage or another

Thankfully Turran is on the case with various options

...and to the EAB members that are complaining about slow anonymous speeds; to reiterate Turran's words:

Quote:
Personally I also don't see the issue with this

You want access to this awesome resource??? At least have the decency to register on EAB, participate in threads and request your own account...

If not, then you will be forced to use a slower connection or the GoogleDrive; heaven forbid, yeah sooooo harsh
Old 29 October 2017, 21:14   #1560
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
They are most certainly doing that.

A year or two back, I started logging all downloads and importing it to a SQL database. My plan was to make a fun statistics webpage where you could see how many times a file were downloaded, most downloaded file, etc. But the SQL database got so big that after 2 months, it was so big that it got slow to search from. I do not remember the exact size, but one line in the database per downloaded file got to be too much to be useful information =)

Although, most files are small, so not so strange. But then again, ONE directory in the Commodore C64 folder contains over 90.000 files (Had a hard time syncing that to google drive, heh).

Quote:

I agree that would be nice. Problem is that I need some coding on the EAB forums for that. Right now, the forum and FTP are two totally different systems with no communication between them.

If we could move the eabadduser page to a locked webpage on the forum that was only open to users who has 15 posts (or whatever), its easily done, but I can not do that. We need RCK for that and he's not responding to my initial request if the forum can send FTP commands (the register user part is just, log on as "this" user, run "this" command and the user is created, so its pretty easy).

I think we're pretty good right now. Turning off the "ftp" account is the next obvious step, but I think we're good =)

Oh, and here is the difference between a registered and non registered account

Quote:
| aeromaxx | 11302 | 02:31 | Dn: Commodore Amiga - at 28920.8K/sec |
| ftp | 6725 | 01:04:01 | Dn: AlienBreedTowerAs at 50.1K/sec |
Fun story that.. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89215

Last edited by Turran; 29 October 2017 at 21:38.