English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 September 2013, 14:31   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Got it! 24€ from U.K.
Works absolutely fine, no lag at all on my system. Tested with a lot of games including TraumaZer0, ProjectX, BattleSquadron, Lionheart, James Pond 2, Apidya, Marvin's Marvelous Adventures, BCKid, Leander, KickOff 2, Goal etc. Never had a delay. Autofire and second button working flawlessly too.
Hope will last enough...
Of course it's there. But it's OK if you don't notice it. It occurs rarely, but then it's annoying. It's mostly not the bigger than usual delay but the completely filtered pushed button or stick direction in some hectic situations, due to too slow polling time.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 September 2013 at 14:44.
Old 09 September 2013, 16:38   #22
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Of course it's there. But it's OK if you don't notice it. It occurs rarely, but then it's annoying. It's mostly not the bigger than usual delay but the completely filtered pushed button or stick direction in some hectic situations, due to too slow polling time.
Sorry but I would have noticed that, and I've tested some fast paced games... I'm a very old Amiga user with a long experience and I would have noticed for sure what you say. Got many joysticks in the past: Prof Competition 5000 by Suzo - still the best IMHO -, Competition Pro, various Quickshot joysticks, Speedking, Albatros... I've tested this long enough with very picky platform games and shoot'em'ups where timing is essential and NEVER felt like it missed a fire press or joystick direction.
Maybe it depends on the full HW config/emulation settings too? Or they simply updated the controller with a better one in this edition (hard but still possible if they changed their HW supplier for example)...
I recommend this joystick for its plug'n'play simplicity and good results.

Are you sure you're not blaming it for your reflexes getting worse with age?

8/10 IMHO, WinUAE 2.5.1, 2.6.x, 2.7.x beta, Win7 HP x64 with modded/expanded MSI GX660 gaming Laptop.

P.S.
Even tested it with MAME and beat'em'ups like Art of Fightin', Street Figther and more where direction and timing for special moves is essential too and I can confirm.
P.P.S.
Tested with another friend of mine, another good old Amiga user and he confirmed never felt a lag or missing response.
P.P.P.S.
Works fine also with ZX Spectrum emu "SpecEMU 3.1b build 21/11/15" as Kempston joystick

Last edited by hexaae; 07 January 2016 at 00:59.
Old 09 September 2013, 16:49   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Are you sure you're not blaming it for your reflexes getting worse with age?
Nope. I have the Speedlink USB and a proper USB 9-pin adapter with a 10ms polling time. And of course real Amiga hardware to compare. Also the build quality (shell+innards) of the CP USB isn't nearly as good as the original db9 sticks, 90s revisions.

Quote:
Or they simply updated the controller with a better one in this edition (hard but still possible if they changed their HW supplier for example)...
I don't thinks so. Other users in forums still complain about recent versions.
Old 09 September 2013, 17:14   #24
hexaae
Bug hunter

Yes, some minor things can still be improved in this joystick... but it's close enough to good old days ones and has a perfect responsiveness on my HW, confirmed also by another old Amigan. As I said I wouldn't exclude HW differences in the joystick or testing-system at this point... You know, it's like when you read a lot of people complaining about latest video drivers for Windows, and you never had a single problem... Many things may change on different systems.

I'll report here if I change my mind (just tested for a few days ATM)...

Last edited by hexaae; 29 September 2013 at 20:37.
Old 29 September 2013, 20:36   #25
hexaae
Bug hunter

I can confirm after a longer testing that I have no delay input issues whatsoever with this USB joystick. Tested with fast and picky platform games, shoot'em ups and other games where fast response is crucial and it never missed a move or fire button press. FOR SURE I would have noticed problems as I'm an old and experienced joystick player... Very happy with this one.

I can definitely recommend SL-6603-SPORTS-EU to everybody.

Last edited by hexaae; 29 September 2013 at 20:41.
Old 29 September 2013, 20:43   #26
s2325
Zone Friend

Can you compare this with any joystick connected to Amiga? After long time it may be easy to forgot how fast response is.
Old 29 September 2013, 20:54   #27
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Can you compare this with any joystick connected to Amiga? After long time it may be easy to forgot how fast response is.
Not for me (and I'm quite picky)! Belive me: when you play games like TraumaZer0, ProjectX, BattleSquadron, Lionheart, James Pond 2, Apidya, Marvin's Marvelous Adventures, BCKid, Leander, KickOff 2, Goal, IK+ you would have noticed for sure lags and slow responsiveness, which is not the case for me honestly.
It performs very well, also when you need to correct a jump in the air or a millimetric platform jump in 10th of second: always reacted without delays on my HW. My theory is that those having delays have HW/SW problems with the emulators and/or their PCs...

Can't connect my original B1260@66Mhz expanded A1200 to monitors/TV but I see no problems with any game and this USB joystick + WUAE 2.6.0+.

See also the video when he juggles the joystick: [ Show youtube player ] It never misses a microswitch.

On my HW it performs perfectly well.

Last edited by hexaae; 29 September 2013 at 21:02.
Old 29 September 2013, 21:09   #28
s2325
Zone Friend

I have this joystick and it require too much power to move stick. Solution should be games like Aquatic Games but after few years joystick is still like new. If it have lags it can be only worse.
Old 29 September 2013, 21:49   #29
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I have this joystick and it require too much power to move stick.
Yes, mechanically speaking is a bit rigid.
The best joystick I've ever had was Suzo Prof Competition 5000 (same aspect but was much better then the most common and cheap Pro Competition): had perfect feeling with very short movements, no rigid stick, not microswitched fire buttons (had a gentle spring)...

http://dykodesigns.woelmuis.nl/suzo_joysticks-en.html

This one performs quite well anyway, and the rest is a matter of habit. Most important thing IMHO is fast response without lags and it has no such issue.

Last edited by hexaae; 29 September 2013 at 22:03.
Old 08 October 2013, 07:47   #30
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Actually the lag is that worse that it filters too fast actions (pressing the buttons/moving the stick very fast) completely.
Exactly my experience. I ended up modding mine to simple DB 9 versions and using atari retroport for that reason.

I bought mine a few years ago though, so it could very well be that speedlink actually improved the usb logic? I doubt it though. Reports of lag were pretty much immediate and the lag was very noticeable, e.g. stuff like R-Type was virtually unplayable, and waggle games like decathlon on c64 did not work at all...
Old 08 October 2013, 11:00   #31
hexaae
Bug hunter

It's not my experience. Everything is perfectly playable and quick moves corrections + fire etc. are always immediately detected without any perceivable lag. I definitely think something in the HW has been improved at this point...
The model is SL-6603-SPORTS-EU.

Last edited by hexaae; 08 October 2013 at 11:05.
Old 13 October 2013, 13:17   #32
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

For reference, my semi-transparent blue one has a label underneath which says SL-6602-TBE, and as noted earlier, I have not detected the extreme lag reported by some. It would probably be useful if the models with high latency is identified with model numbers...
Old 22 November 2013, 00:53   #33
hoderer

Funny thing, now that my good old motorola defy+ supports OTG (usb-hostmode) through a custom rom, I tried uae4android with my USB-Competition Pro (SL-6602) and noticed a lag for the first time I use that joystick. It worked for my proposes pretty well on my PC. First I thought it was because of the buggy usb-hostmode or the emulator, but then I connected my retro-adapter v2.0 with an original competition pro and the lag was gone. This was really a good proof for me, that the usb-version is indeed laggy and that the retro-adapter is a great piece of work!

Old 22 November 2013, 17:00   #34
Snyfls
Heavy Metal Hamster

I have this joystick and have not noticed any lag. It's red and black edition SL-6603-SPORTS-DE. So far it looks almost perfect to me.
Old 22 November 2013, 17:47   #35
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyfls View Post
I have this joystick and have not noticed any lag. It's red and black edition SL-6603-SPORTS-DE. So far it looks almost perfect to me.
Old 12 August 2014, 16:22   #36
hexaae
Bug hunter

Hey! It works also on my (stock, no custom rom or rooted) LG G2 with OTG cable! I can play MAME games on LG G2 Android 4.4.2 with a real joystick!
Old 27 December 2015, 16:30   #37
hexaae
Bug hunter

For those interested is still available (SL-6603-SPORTS-EU) on http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...3&currency=EUR
Old 30 December 2015, 17:48   #38
rsn8887

To test for lag on Speedlink: Use Windows Joystick test program and quickly wiggle left/right. All my Speedlink competition pros show NO response exactly as Retro-Nerd said, it is not just laggy, it just doesn't even report those fast actions. Similarly, very short button clicks are sometimes not registered.

It could be possible that they actually improved their usb circuitry. I would not have believed it but that's what hexaae just stated so maybe things are better now? Anyways they are shoddily made from a mechanical point of view, too. If you can find an original old Competition Pro on ebay, I would still suggest getting that plus RetroUSB Atari adapter.
Old 31 December 2015, 13:55   #39
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
To test for lag on Speedlink: Use Windows Joystick test program and quickly wiggle left/right. All my Speedlink competition pros show NO response exactly as Retro-Nerd said, it is not just laggy, it just doesn't even report those fast actions. Similarly, very short button clicks are sometimes not registered.
You mean this?

Works absolutely fine even wiggling furiously here.
My exact model is: SL-6603-SPORTS-EU

I can play all our beloved Shumps and platformers without having ever had the impression it missed something...
Old 01 January 2016, 00:26   #40
rhester72

Ditto - it would seem something did indeed change in the 'sports' edition, because mine also works perfectly fine.

In fact, I specifically ordered the 'sports' one - years after everyone else got theirs - precisely because of a couple of reports that it didn't suffer from the lag/responsiveness issues of the early models.

Rodney