English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 September 2010, 23:54   #1
Tarak1200

Amiga 1200 wb 3.1 software compability issues

Hello,

When i try to copy software to the 1200 I often get a set of colourful icons, every time i try to click on one of them the screen darkens a bit. Then i usually get another set of icons with the same name but they are of the ordinary drawer type with no color and no fancy artwork; when i click on one of them i sometimes get an error message , sometimes one of them works but then stops and i get another error message. i also found it difficult to open the tool installer , i should open automatically when i click an icon that requires that tool; generally i have problems opening any tools. any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 09 September 2010, 23:58   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Colourful icons to me sounds like NewIcons. It was a 3.1 patch from many years ago.

Reinstall NI 4.6?

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/NewIcons46
Old 10 September 2010, 08:44   #3
thomas

When the screen flashes, the title bar should show a message. Ususally something like "this project does not have a default tool" or "unable to open your tool xyz". Drawer icons may refuse to open if there is only the icon but not the drawer. You can use "show last message" from the menu if the message already disappeared.

All the above might indicate that you only copied icons, but not the corresponding files. If you want to replace an existing icon with a colored one, you should not replace the .info file but rather use the CopyNewIcon tool.

The tool Installer is not copied to HDD during the installation of WB 3.1. You have to copy it manually. Or better use the newer version from Aminet.

http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Installer-43_3
Old 10 September 2010, 10:27   #4
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you want to replace an existing icon with a colored one, you should not replace the .info file but rather use the CopyNewIcon tool.
Are you saying you should not use another .info renamed? I aways just rename a .info if I dont have one for something else. Is this bad? I might not have understood what you meant

Cheers
Old 10 September 2010, 10:34   #5
tero

Problem is any additional data stored in the .info get lost if you just rename a new .info
That's tooltypes/default tool and attributes
Old 10 September 2010, 10:35   #6
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
Problem is any additional data stored in the .info get lost if you just rename a new .info
That's tooltypes/default tool and attributes
Whoops, thanks for explaining that I think CopyNewIcon tool from now on then.
Old 10 September 2010, 15:07   #7
thomas

Note that CopyNewIcon only works with NewIcons. The OP asked about WB 3.1 and colored icons, this let NewIcons as the only choice. If you want to copy old-style (3-colored) icons, you should use other tools or IconEdit. If you want to copy an OS 3.5+ icon, you should use the Workbench icon information window.
Old 15 September 2010, 20:56   #8
Tarak1200

Thank you

Thank you!

i have solved the problem by directly archiving the program on pc and then extracting it directly from my disk. the problem originated when i copied files directly from my pc to the amiga using a simple 720 disk. apperently due to crossdoss parameters copying from the disk directly to the amiga hard disk causes problems

Thanks again