English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 February 2006, 05:42   #61
blade002
Zone Friend

If you give me the ADF's and tell me how to convert them back to workable Amiga disks. then i'll do it!!.. you will also have to tell me how your supposed to record the game as you go!???. hehehehe
Old 02 February 2006, 09:24   #62
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The main problem is the degraded playability and the size of the movies at the end.
Lionheart is a long game, and therefore will create HUGE files again. And i don't want
a shitty bitrate on a game like this.

But yes give me some time, i'll do movies anyway. I'll love this game to much ^^.
Old 02 February 2006, 11:15   #63
Ironclaw
Banned

If you record with the XviD MPEG-4 Codec and have it set to quantizer at quality 1 (maximum quality), you'll get great quality. This is the codec I use when recording all my movies. the size of the video file varies from game to game depending on how much movement there are on the screen and how many colors in use. When using quantizer, the bit rate is automaticly set to the best one allowing the best quality. If you record a game that is fast paced with alot of action and things moving around, it will record in over 2000kbps...... so, use this codec and have it set to quantizer quality 1 and you will record with perfect quality... if you record in the native resolution 320x240 or 320x256, the game will run smooth, or sometimes even too fast provided you record having the Disable framerate limit while recording checked (on). I must have this boxed checked when recording or I will get audio sync delay problems... the drawback recording with this option on is that you will not hear any sound and WinUAE will emulate the game as fast as it can. So mostly for me when recording with this option and in 320x240/256 the game runs way too fast, like 200-300% of original speed. I therefore sometimes record in 640x480/512 for more pleasant speed..... and also better viewing quality. If I'm recording an adventure game with still backgrounds like darkseed where not much moves around, I go for double resolution, that way I can have much higher quality in the final product when converting to the H264 codec.

Just record one stage at a time.... and recompress the avi... then record the next stage and recompress that avi.... then when all stages has been recorded, send the avi's to recordedamigagames.... I have no problem with space . Got 2x 250gig harddrives and lots of free space.
Old 02 February 2006, 11:24   #64
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
If you give me the ADF's and tell me how to convert them back to workable Amiga disks. then i'll do it!!.. you will also have to tell me how your supposed to record the game as you go!???. hehehehe
For those on a PC and using WinUAE, there are some recording instructions in the FAQ section of www.recordedamigagames.org

But I guess it's not that well written or described... it works for me.. but guess we might need to make a more simple, yet detailed guide on how to record amiga games.

Is there anyone here that could be so kind to make a good recording guide? You could start a new thread and people could chip in and help and give suggestions. Maybe make it so good that it could be called something like "Recording Amiga games for Dummies".. like those books .
Old 02 February 2006, 13:22   #65
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
And i don't want
a shitty bitrate on a game like this.

But yes give me some time, i'll do movies anyway. I'll love this game to much ^^.
Yeah, this is a great chance to show the Lionheart haters just how brilliant Lionheart is!.. When i first completed this game, i just wanted to grab the developers and shake their hands!.

Such a credit to our beloved machine.
Old 02 February 2006, 17:22   #66
BippyM
Global Moderator

ALL my recording is done with uncompressed frames and then I recompress in whichever codec I feel is most adequate!

Have 700gb+ HD space is helpful tho!
Old 02 February 2006, 20:24   #67
Ironclaw
Banned

yeah, uncompressed is 100% quality... i record in uncompressed when i need best quality, like when ripping sprites from a game...
Old 26 February 2006, 20:25   #68
ST Dragon

Ah, Lion Heart!
The Memories!

I completed Lion Heart back in summer of 1994 (No cheating!) and what a graphic fest that was!
Incredible! It sure looked as if it used a lot more than the basic 64Half-Bright colours the OCS/ECS chipset was capable of.
The rainbow copper effects were amazing, especially the fire stage.

I still have some AMIGA Power / Format Mags with articles quoting that no other console adventure platform game of the time could match Lion Heart, especially in the graphics department.

The game had some of the most stunning looking Heroic Fantasy levels, which I had only read about in novels like Conan, Elrik, Lords of The Rings, Dungeons & Dragons, etc…
The Wastelands, the swamps, the spider infested caves, the forgotten city, the fiery caverns, the gravity defying citadel and especially the last Sorcerer Boss fight, were all some of the coolest and most memorable gaming moments.
The Sorcerer him self, reminded me of Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat, but in a more sinister & evil looking way. The fight it self was quite tough and took a few tries to overcome.

The ending was very epic & dramatic.
I love Valdyn’s expression when the king, approaches in the background to greet & congratulate him on defeating his enemy, but Valdyn is like "Yeah right, get lost! I lost my girl in the struggle, so who cares about you old man?!” leaving him surprised in the great hall!

Then he discovers the secret powers of the talisman and breaks the spell that had petrified his love.

A true masterpiece!

Last edited by ST Dragon; 26 February 2006 at 20:37.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:39   #69
blade002
Zone Friend

Hey ST Dragon!!!.. Excellent comentary on Lionheart, and i completely agree with you!. AMAZING game!!!!...

But did you know that Lionheart has " 2 " endings!!!!. If you find the Talisman which i think is hidden on about Level 4 .. i cant remember exactly. Anyway, if you find it, it will free your girl and you will get a happy ending! if you dont find it, then you get the ending that you see above.

Maybe you know already because you mention her being free with the use of the Talisman..

Oh damn, i can see him holding the Talisman in the last picture there!. now im confused.. lol.

ok thats enough with my rant.
Old 27 February 2006, 09:15   #70
ST Dragon

Hey, I never knew Lion Heart had two endings. I would always get the Talisman at the secret cave & the cracked 4-disk CD-32 rip version of the game which I have, would not show the ending after you beat the Boss.
So, I used to use the 3-disk beta version that allowed you to see the "good" ending from the start.
But I did play through out the game without cheating, discovered all the different routes & secrets and even defeated the Sorcerer’s different forms (I think it were 3)

So in the “Bad” ending you get to see Valdyn sitting next to Ilene’s petrified body, without the Talisman in his hand?! Interesting…

I should convert the 4-disk [!] verified adf images to real AMIGA disks and try it out on my real A1200.

By the way, in the level right before the air-ship, there was a platform swinging from a chain & you had to make it swing more in order to reach higher ground (on top of the air-ship). These hanging/swinging platforms you would encounter them again at the Sorcerer's Citadel as you ascended upwards while being chased by the rising acid from below. I can't remember how I made them swing so I got stuck wiggling the pad left-right trying to make it swing more, but no luck!
It's been 12 years since I did this, so please could someone remind me.

Last edited by ST Dragon; 27 February 2006 at 13:44.
Old 27 February 2006, 13:39   #71
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
you have to push the pad DOWN many times to make the platform swing.
Old 27 February 2006, 13:45   #72
ST Dragon

Hmm... I'll try it out.
I use my Mega Drive Joypad on my Amiga not a joystick, so would this work aswell as the stick?
Old 27 February 2006, 14:54   #73
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I still have some AMIGA Power / Format Mags with articles quoting that no other console adventure platform game of the time could match Lion Heart, especially in the graphics department.
http://thalion.atari.org/games/lionh...ionheart2.html

Last edited by alexh; 17 July 2022 at 19:17.
Old 27 February 2006, 15:52   #74
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Lionheart is the best platformer on Amiga.

I see no point in comparing this gem with Beast, as Beast games were not playable, had no such a nice graphics and sounds. In shot, Beast games were borring and to hard to play.

Lionheart had all what an good game need. Proper intro, great gameplay with different levels and different objectives, and nice outro.

It was easy to learn moves, explore game for extra stuff (there is a lot of lives to be collected) and to do some other stuff you have to to complete the game. Only downside of this game was that there was no save/password to skip levels that you've completed.

I remember reading of the problems programers had to go trough to feet the game and sounds in 1MB.

I always wondered why this game never got converted to other platforms, but it seems some users here had some good explanations.

Another platform game that was also excelent, but it came at the end of Amiga's life is Mr. Nutz.

Hmm, I should complete this game again... It should be easy with Save State option.
Old 27 February 2006, 15:55   #75
Ironclaw
Banned

Yeah, Lionheart is great http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...ndex.php?id=54
Old 27 February 2006, 16:10   #76
ST Dragon

@Alexh
Yeah those are the exact AMIGA mag issues which I ahve!

@Anubis
Mr. Nutz is another excellent platform game.
What makes it cool is that it combined elements from Sonic 2, Mario World & even Zelda.

Those Techno City levels were great and the Bosses them selves awesome!
I love the 4 different Boss music themes!

Where could one download all the music themes for Mr. Nutz?

I would love to hear the Boss music themes again!
Ahh.. nostalgia

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 February 2006, 16:21   #77
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
For some reason I can't play none of those movies. What codec is used for them and where to download it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dragon
@Anubis
Mr. Nutz is another excellent platform game.
What makes it cool is that it combined elements from Sonic 2, Mario World & even Zelda.
I agree with that. It is great game based on other game ideas. SNES port of this game is another porting mistake from Amiga to consoles.
Old 28 February 2006, 00:40   #78
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dragon
Where could one download all the music themes for Mr. Nutz?
http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/unexotic...s/Mr_Nutz.html
Old 28 February 2006, 01:09   #79
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
For some reason I can't play none of those movies. What codec is used for them and where to download it from?
The codec is mentioned on the front page AND in the FAQ on www.recordedamigagames.org . But here's the link to save you the trouble

http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
Old 28 February 2006, 03:02   #80
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
The codec is mentioned on the front page AND in the FAQ on www.recordedamigagames.org . But here's the link to save you the trouble

http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
Thank you for the link.

I can't see it on the front page.

Nice movies.