English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 December 2009, 00:55   #1
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Send a message via MSN to Iznougoud
HDDs gone missing

I decided, in obvious conflict with my better judgement, to update SFS on my HDDs. Being cautious, I started off with the second partition (since it's empty) on my 4.2Gb SCSI HDD, added the new SFS filesystem, and removed the old, via HDToolbox.

When I rebooted the entire HDD was gone. Entirely gone. Can't be found via HDToolbox, not listed in early startup - it is as if it never existed. Along with it went the 19Gb IDE-HDD, which isn't all that strange, since the IDE HDD is connected to the controller of the X-Surf-board.

Now, I can understand the filesystem, or RDB, being, well - fucked up, but I should at least be able to access the HDD at hardware levels. I hate to admit it, but I'm lost.

The setup (changes made in HDToolbox were written to HD1):

A2000, with a phase 5 2040ERC accelerator.

4.2Gb HDD (2060scsi.device), HD0: 1Gb HD1: 3.2Gb.

19Gb IDE (xsurf.device), HD2: 19Gb

Help is not only welcome, it's desperately needed.
Old 01 December 2009, 09:36   #2
thomas

Are you sure you run HDToolbox correctly ? You need to tell it to look at 2060scsi.device, either via tooltypes (when run from Workbench) or via command line option.

If you cannot get the drive to be seen in HDToolbox, then you are really lost.

Nevertheless, which version of SFS did you have before and which version did you use to update ? Why did you add the new and remove the old, you could have choosen to update the old ? When adding the new, did you remember to change the identifier from 43465300 to 53465300 ?
Old 01 December 2009, 12:58   #3
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

I'm quite confident I've run HDToolbox correctly. Still, this would indicate a hardware error rather than a filesystem mishap, and I would consider it odd that this would coincide with my messing with the filesystem.

All my Amiga HDDs being unavailable, I'm not sure of the version number of the SFS I was upgrading to, it did require the identifier 0x33465300 though, and this identifier was found by HDToolbox.

I did upgrade from version 1.236. That I know. The new version would most likely be 1.277. Howevere, of that I'm not sure, at the time of writing.
Old 01 December 2009, 13:55   #4
thomas

The question is if you have any spare parts you can use to test what caused the breakdown. Do you have another SCSI drive with which you can test if the SCSI controller still works ? Do you have another SCSI controller with which you can test the drive ?

In order to access the IDE drive you need the XSurfIDE driver in the Expansion drawer of the Workbench disk. It is loaded by the Binddrivers command in startup-sequence.
You can get it from there: http://icomp.de/t/bin/xsurfide.lha
Old 01 December 2009, 14:10   #5
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

You're quite right. And I've dug out a couple of SCSI-HDDs this morning, I'll run tests with them later this afternoon.

Doesn't look good though. HDToolbox won't list 2060scsi.device at all. The bright side, is that it doesn't list any device. Of any sort. Which might indicate something other than my Blizzard-board/SCSI-controller being at fault. And as I said, it would be one heck of a coincidence..

Still. I messed around with the second partition (DH1), provided the hardware is functional, would there be reason to suspect that DH0 has gone to meet it's maker as well? I'd really hate to rebuild that partition. Almost as much as I hate making backups
Old 01 December 2009, 16:34   #6
thomas

Quote:
Still. I messed around with the second partition (DH1), provided the hardware is functional, provided the hardware is functional, would there be reason to suspect that DH0 has gone to meet it's maker as well?
Well, perhaps the step from 1.236 to 1.277 was a bit too far to be done without a backup. 1.236 is not even mentioned in the change log any more. I know for sure that there was one version step which was irreversible (i.e. made a change to the file system structure which is incompatible to older versions). It may well be that there is another version step which needs reformatting of the partition.

And of course changing the SFS code which is stored in the RDB affects all partitions which are formatted with SFS, not only DH1.
Old 01 December 2009, 17:08   #7
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

From the looks of it, the changes have been global. Found myself an ancient install of AOS3.9 on another SCSI-disk, which does find the partitions via HDToolbox - and they both are set to SFS 1.277.

Ah well.. Suppose I have a couple of weeks of rebuilding the workbench to look forward to. Any advice on that, given that I'm starting from scratch? After all, I might as well make the most of it, and if possible further optimize the system. I honestly can't recall all the patches and changes that have been made over the years..
Old 01 December 2009, 17:15   #8
thomas

You should first try to revert back to 1.236 and see if the partitions magically appear again. Then make a backup.
Old 01 December 2009, 17:25   #9
chiark
Needs a life

This is reminding me of something with a CSA Magnum 40/4 which I never got to the bottom of: I had to use the CSA tool to prep the drive, even though it supports RDB. I can take a hard disk prepared on the CSA Magnum and use it on any device, but I cannot take a disk prepped on any other device and have it recognised...

If I try to boot with a disk that hasn't been prepped by the CSA software, the csascsi.device driver isn't loaded (so without binddrivers and csascsi.device in the expansion drawer, it won't be found).

It sounds a bit familiar, that's all

Is there a specific tool you can use for the 2060?

(as an aside, I still can't work out what the CSA software is writing to the RDB or disk so that is recognised successfully!)
Old 01 December 2009, 17:54   #10
thomas

Quote:
Is there a specific tool you can use for the 2060?
There is SCSIConfig on the Phase5 SCSI Disk. But it does nothing specific except that it should find all drives on Phase5 controllers without changing tooltypes or the like.

The SCSI disk is available here: http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=13

The disk also contains UnitControl which could be helpful in your case. It can configure the SCSI controller and cause it to rescan devices.

Quote:
I still can't work out what the CSA software is writing to the RDB or disk so that is recognised successfully!
The RDB can store drive initialization code. This feature is sometimes used to load driver updates.
Old 01 December 2009, 18:05   #11
Jope
-

It could also store something before the RDB, like the ICD AdIDE does. The RDB doesn't have to begin at block 0. (Thomas naturally knows this, but for the benefit of the others. :-)
Old 01 December 2009, 18:47   #12
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

After some serious messing around, I've managed to access the files on DH0, and I am in the process of copying them to another HDD right now. For some unknown reason, both partitions were set to SFS 1.277, and I now seem to have managed to switch back to 1.13 (which is the correct version number).

Question is what to do now - other than introducing regular backups. Should I reformat the entire drive with SFS 1.277, or should I stay with FFS, at least on the boot partition, given that it's not that big, and use SFS 1.277 on the 20Gb IDE drive only (which I haven't started to mess with yet, and I will - obviously - backup the data before I do that). Then again, maybe SFS 1.13 is sufficient. After all, it worked fine until I started to "improve" things.
Old 01 December 2009, 20:29   #13
chiark
Needs a life

Jope, Thomas, thanks for the info: I didn't see the drive initialisation bit in the RDB!

Glad you've recovered your data iznougoud
Old 01 December 2009, 20:51   #14
thomas

Quote:
I now seem to have managed to switch back to 1.13 (which is the correct version number).
This version is really old, more than 11 years. Many changes have been done since. Of course this version is not compatible to later versions. Even the programmer has changed. The last version made by John Hendrikx was 1.84 which is already 10 years old, too. After that Jörg Strohmayer continued development.

IMHO you should make the big step and upgrade. At least to 1.84, better to 1.279.

But remember that changing SFS to a higher version on one harddrive will affect all partitions on all harddrives which are formatted with SFS. So you need to backup *everything* before you start, not only one partition.
Old 01 December 2009, 21:18   #15
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Hopefully I've learned my lesson. And I intend to backup, and wipe the HDD. The backup, however, will be stored on an FFS-formatted HDD - just in case. As a matter of fact, after what I've been through - upgrading isn't more work than simply restoring, so I guess it's all for the best.

And before I forget it, thanks for all your help

Last edited by Iznougoud; 02 December 2009 at 07:54. Reason: Deleted a question which wasn't relevant anymore.
Old 02 December 2009, 08:30   #16
chiark
Needs a life

It's also worth backing up to a PC whilst the disk is out: just use WinUAE to either make an image of the real disk or copy everything to a mounted directory...
Old 02 December 2009, 14:48   #17
Jope
-

Remember to use clone if using the normal cli copy command.
Old 03 December 2009, 20:24   #18
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Given I don't have SCSI in my PC, I'll consider archiving sys: and transfer it via LAN instead...