English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 14 May 2019, 15:35   #1
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Could someone port Notepad++ to Amiga?

I'm not sure this is the correct source but what I found.

https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus

RC
Old 14 May 2019, 17:27   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

As far as i remember Notepad++ like other scintilla based editors rely on WxWidgets, that is actually not ported to any Amiga and like os but might be wrong on that
Old 14 May 2019, 17:51   #3
Locutus

OP, Answer: No

Sideline: Didn't MorphOS have a Scintilla based editor actually?
Old 15 May 2019, 07:32   #4
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Sideline: Didn't MorphOS have a Scintilla based editor actually?
Yes, FlowStudio is a Scintilla based program on MorphOS. It started as a text editor called Scribble, but changed its name now when it grew to a full-featured IDE.

So, the Scintilla engine itself is portable, but you need to build your own editor around it. Founding an existing Scintilla based editor that can be ported may be difficult.
Old 15 May 2019, 09:59   #5
Hewitson

What for? We already have the best text editor (vim).
Old 15 May 2019, 10:14   #6
Daedalus

Is there anything specific about Notepad++ that you need? Ports of software like that to AmigaOS are likely to be slow and clunky due to the large frameworks upon which they're built. For an Amiga native editor, what about Annotate? It has user-definable syntax highlighting, source folding, and lots of other "modern" features in common with the likes of Npp or Gedit. It also has an ARexx port, which means it might be possible to add other features you need without having to update the editor itself.
Old 15 May 2019, 13:29   #7
Hewitson

I wasn't familiar with Annotate. Looks like quite a nice piece of software (still not as good as vim though :P).
Old 15 May 2019, 13:56   #8
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Is there anything specific about Notepad++ that you need? Ports of software like that to AmigaOS are likely to be slow and clunky due to the large frameworks upon which they're built. For an Amiga native editor, what about Annotate? It has user-definable syntax highlighting, source folding, and lots of other "modern" features in common with the likes of Npp or Gedit. It also has an ARexx port, which means it might be possible to add other features you need without having to update the editor itself.
Nothing specific, just that most people use it on Windows and would like a nice editor on Amiga. Way back in the day I used TxeD and found it acceptable. I thought I would ask all the smart Amiga people here.

Thanks
RC
Old 15 May 2019, 14:45   #9
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am so used to Visual Studio Code now, that it would feel like like impaired to use some old school editor like the ones on being available for the Amiga, I'd guess.
Old 15 May 2019, 22:50   #10
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
What for? We already have the best text editor (vim).
Although I use vim by choice, I was paid to learn it because there was nothing else to use at work. For years I kept a little IBM published booklet, the vi reference guide, on my desk. Lord knows it's arcane, cryptic, and the very definition of a hardcore sysadmin text editor. I don't see that it would be terribly helpful to suggest it to someone to use in their spare time, who was actually looking for notepad++ like features.
Old 15 May 2019, 23:00   #11
DofD

At home I like to use GoldEd Studio as a general editor. That is when I'm not using vim.
Old 16 May 2019, 22:07   #12
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I don't see that it would be terribly helpful to suggest it to someone to use in their spare time, who was actually looking for notepad++ like features.
Why not? What does Notepad++ do that vim doesn't? Pretty sure the answer will be nothing, as vim can be configured to do almost anything. Best of all, vim is at home on the Amiga (it was originally Amiga-only software).