Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 May 2004, 16:47   #21
Peanutuk

what ?!?!
Old 12 May 2004, 17:56   #22
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
hahahah , I mistaking quoted your post instead of RCK's Zelda movie one.
Old 13 May 2004, 01:06   #23
Peanutuk

And here's a pic actually held by someone:

Old 13 May 2004, 01:27   #24
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Woot Woot
Old 13 May 2004, 02:50   #25
Amiga1992

It's quite ugly, I've got to admit. Maybe is the colors, silver with orange? Please, give me flat out white or something.
Compared to the PSP this looks like shit obviously. Then again most Nintendo products look like shit, they are not the best in the design department.

I still hope this thing gets 2D shit, because I see too much 3D handheld garbage around.
Old 13 May 2004, 05:07   #26
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The screens look small, not sure it has the horsepower to do real 3d games (which suck in low res mode). Nintendo should have made the screen that flips up 2x as large keepping the screen between the controls the same size.

Good games can sell shit systems, and good hardware dies without good games so we will see how this turns out (especially since sony is getting into the biz of handhelds).
Old 13 May 2004, 08:49   #27
FromWithin
Music lord

Well it's not on general display at the Nintendo booth. Apparently they are doing some presentation in a room, but you have to queue up for about an hour. Don't know what they presentation is, but I expect that its just a video. Although I have been told that they do have the actual hardware. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I might queue up if I've got time.
Old 13 May 2004, 09:30   #28
manicx

DS's design is a blast from the past. All I can say is that it is lovely and retro. I am glad Jim pointed out that he used to have a Nintendo handheld that looked similar and had two screens. It was the Nintendo's Game and Watch.

Does this colour looks familiar to you Akira?

People say that the screen is small. I say it's about right and don't forget it has TWO screens!

Bless! I love the design, it's a blast from the past. I used to love Game & Watch handhelds and I love the new design and the fact that it is a Nintendo.

Old 13 May 2004, 09:51   #29
manicx

Latest from E3

Dual Screens: Two LCD screens offer one of the most groundbreaking game-play advances ever developed: experiencing a game from two perspectives at once. Imagine the possibilities. In a racing game, drivers might see their own vehicle's perspective on one screen and an overall track view on the other. In a role-playing game, the action could take place on the first screen while the second provides a reference for a player's tools inventory. Game play also could use both screens at once, offering a giant boss for heroes to defeat. In the future, games could be created allowing users to play games on one screen while text messaging other DS users on the other. Each 3-inch screen can reproduce a true 3-D view and is backlit to assure comfortable play in any lighting condition.

Touch Screen: The lower screen will offer something never before provided by any game device: PDA-like touch capabilities. Players no longer have to rely on just buttons to move characters or shift perspectives. They can navigate menus or access inventory items simply by touching the screen with stylus or fingertip. A software-based keyboard might even allow the screen to be used as an input center for games and messaging. The possibilities are limited only by developers' imaginations. The screen will have a tougher film cover for durability, and will come with a stylus.

Microphone: An available microphone port means that in the future, players might need only to tell their games what to do. DS software could identify everything from voice commands to hand-clapping. Players might be able to move their characters simply by telling them which way to go. The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing.

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

3-D: With the newly developed graphics engine, DS can reproduce impressive 3-D renderings that can surpass images displayed on the Nintendo® 64. Games will run at 60 frames per second, and allow details like fog effects and cel shading.

Sound: The 16-channel sound allows for greatly expanded use of voices and music, and a richer, more immersive game experience. A plug for headphones transmits stereo sound.

Battery & Power Management: The battery is rechargeable and the unit features a low-energy-consumption design. The DS also has Power Management functions of Sleep mode and Standby mode. In Sleep mode, players can stop and resume game play whenever they like. If the user receives a message from a friend or user nearby, DS activates itself from Standby mode.

Processing: The unit will run on two processors, one ARM9 one ARM7.

New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.

Dual Slots: Nintendo DS makes a vast library of Game Boy® Advance games readily available. Developers could find ways to make new connections between GBA games and DS games. The GBA port could be used for new hardware, enormously expanding the functional expandability of the DS.

LOVELY!!!

Last edited by manicx; 13 May 2004 at 09:59.
Old 13 May 2004, 10:54   #30
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Good games can sell shit systems, and good hardware dies without good games so we will see how this turns out (especially since sony is getting into the biz of handhelds).
exactly !
Old 13 May 2004, 13:16   #31
Bloodwych

I like the retro flip backlit screens, although I'm waiting to see how that's going to effect battery life. I doubt with modern technology it will be that much of an issue.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:52   #32
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

I'm still curious though about Nintendo's claims to date this is not the replacement for the GBA-if so, how can they hope to market two different handhelds at the same time?

And yes, Zelda pics look nice, but possibly a case of too little, too late? Where are the 3rd party games? Belated PS2/X-box ports aren't exactly helping the situation for it.

Game & Watch were classics. Though the double screen versions were the ultimate sign of luxury for parents wealthy enough to afford them, the single screen games could be pricey enough!

Though one old issue could still rear its ugly head-trying to keep an eye on whats going on in one screen whilst trying to play the other could be quite annoying-the times I lost a life on Oil Panic when all mayhem was happening & suddenly see my 2nd guy down below pull away right when I didn't need it led to some harsh words being said!
Old 13 May 2004, 19:44   #33
Amiga1992

I think you are more Nintendo biased than RCK, manicx

The thing does look like shit. And it's far away from a perfect design, your hands will hurt as much as with the GBA or anything. The D-pad looks specially shittier than ever. It's so stuck into the machine that I am afraid it won't be very responsive. The GBA's D-Pad already is shit and unresponsive, this one with almost no "extrusion" seems even worse. The 4 buttons are too close, look at all the free space below. This one is thought for small kids again! And they will have to promise me more titles than N64 remakes (fer fuck's sake haven't you had enough remakes with the GBA?) and one new Nintendo title. I want to see thirdparty support for this bad boy.

Not dissing it, but i'm just waiting. In my current economic situation I will find it hard to purchase any of these new portable systems, but at the end it will probably be the DS because it's much cheaper and it's got more chances of getting 2D stuff methinks. and you can play GBA games on it, innit? I read it has a GBA cart slot? That's a bonus.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:59   #34
terryhan

The Sony PSP uses mini DVD type things, right? Without any way to burn your own, surely any 'deving' is going to be pretty difficult?
Gameboys have always had pretty good cartridge 'backup' solutions - and with the rumoured power of the DS, a full range retro system emulators should be possible... hell, it's almost possible with the GBA.
Old 13 May 2004, 21:23   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

PSP uses memory things doesnt it?

Still, I shall pay attention to both machines emu/homebrew scene.
Old 13 May 2004, 21:49   #36
JudasEZT

two screens.. thats perfect for epilepsy..
Old 13 May 2004, 22:53   #37
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
PSP uses memory things doesnt it?
Yes, Memory Sticks. which I think have gone up to 1 gig or ssomething (fucking expensive though)
Old 14 May 2004, 09:19   #38
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
The thing does look like shit. And it's far away from a perfect design, your hands will hurt as much as with the GBA or anything. The D-pad looks specially shittier than ever. It's so stuck into the machine that I am afraid it won't be very responsive. The GBA's D-Pad already is shit and unresponsive, this one with almost no "extrusion" seems even worse. The 4 buttons are too close, look at all the free space below. This one is thought for small kids again! And they will have to promise me more titles than N64 remakes (fer fuck's sake haven't you had enough remakes with the GBA?) and one new Nintendo title. I want to see thirdparty support for this bad boy.
All the above is speculation based on pictures. When we get one we will know exactly how it feels. The GBA SP looks shit too, but it is an excellent handheld.
Old 14 May 2004, 10:53   #39
Amiga1992

The GBA lookis like shit and physically IS SHIT.

Shit materials for its construction (one of the cheapest-looking handhelds I own)
Shit disposition of controls (if you are not a kid, your hands hurt or are uncomfortable)
shit D-Pad (barely any responsivity on it. The old grey gameboy DPad was much better)

Most of us have been into gaming for years. We can tell from a picture how a gamepad can feel, even more if we see it being hold by some person (giving you the antropomorphic scale). Nobody is saying "this system will be shit!" I said that will depend on its games, like for all systems. The GBA is great and has loads of nice games, but also a shitload of stinkers, and I havent counted, but probably the stinkers reach up to 50% of the market.
Old 14 May 2004, 14:51   #40
RCK
Administrator

Please note the design is *not* final
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nds.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	6790