English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 August 2015, 02:56   #1
-Acid-

IDEfix alternative?

Is there an alternative to IDEfix97 when using an IDE splitter?

I ask because tonight I installed IDEfix97 (which normally works flawlessly for me). I used ; to stop the loadmodule scsi.device command and use LoadIDE reset instead.

At first the installer updated something and rebooted the Amiga, upon reboot it was stuck in an endless reboot loop. When I finally restored the correct scsi.device and got back to wb I finished the installation off and it rebooted to wb fine. All big partitions working as expected, it can also see my CF adapter if I inserted a card before booting and it can read discs from the DVD drive.

However, when i reset the Amiga sometimes it gives a software failure and gets stuck in a couple of reboots before starting wb again. Other times it will keep reboot looping until I get a software failure then it boots. It seems to happen more if I leave a disc in the DVD drive, it happens when there is no disc in the drive and it still happens if I do not mount the drive at all. This never used to happen does anyone know what's causing it?

I'm using Classic WB full and i've never had a problem with IDEfix97 on it in the past.
Old 07 August 2015, 08:26   #2
thomas

There were different vendors selling IDE splitters and each splitter came with its own software. Only the IDEfix software works with splitters of different brands. So if your splitter is not an IDEfix splitter, then you should try the software which came with it. However, those other softwares might be too old to support large harddrives. My first splitter was made by VOB and the software was called SpeedUp. It had a 2 GB limit, not even 4 GB.

Nowadays the only alternative I know is the 4xEIDE'99 from Elbox. This splitter comes with software which should even support LBA48 (drives larger than 128 GB). http://eu-shop.elbox.com/en_US/p/4xEIDE99-interface/18

Perhaps you could track down the cause of the gurus. Did you upgrade ClassicWB or something else since you ran IDEfix successfully last time?
Old 07 August 2015, 09:51   #3
gulliver
BoingBagged

Idefix is not the only software that works with different brands. If I am not wrong, there is also the one that comes with OS4 Classic, which is called atapiismajik, and it is a 68k executable. It is built in the OS4 default emergency boot floppy.
Old 07 August 2015, 12:11   #4
-Acid-

Is the Elbox software free or available without the adapter? i'll just be using it with a bog standard splitter I bought from Amigakit for the A4000.

I've not changed anything in my workbench install, it's not giving guru's it just gets stuck in a cycle of rebooting I do not get to see any screens in between. Then eventually when an error message does come up it's just a simple software failure.

I could just go back to using loadmodule but then I would have no access to my DVD or CF cards (not to mention my zip drive i'm yet to get sorted out).

Last edited by -Acid-; 08 August 2015 at 22:26.
Old 08 August 2015, 18:06   #5
SKOLMAN_MWS

eide.device - search in google.
Old 08 August 2015, 22:54   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOLMAN_MWS View Post
eide.device - search in google.
Done.

Edit: Found another.
Attached Files
File Type: lha eide.lha (60.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: lha eide2.lha (21.8 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by prowler; 08 August 2015 at 23:57.
Old 09 August 2015, 12:32   #7
-Acid-

Thanks for the advice and links, i've got a lot of archives from Elbox site as well to fiddle around with, gonna have a mess with it this afternoon after the football on TV