English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 August 2007, 18:49   #1
mrbob2

Xp speed advice

Hiya all, i have 2 laptops and thier both connected to the internet. My new laptop which is quite fast i want to use for playing games, emulation etc and as its connected to the net it has been updated with 80+ windows updates/service pack 2 etc and of course has antispyware and virus progs etc installed. If i did a fresh XP install and never updated it (kept it with service pack 1) no spyware progs etc needed.............would my system be faster and would i notice a big difference with games? or shall i just keep it as it is? Thanks for your advice.
Old 28 August 2007, 19:21   #2
OddbOd

Re-installing Windows generally does improve performance and stability especially if a lot of software has been installed/uninstalled leaving registry and temp file junk all over the place. By the sounds of what you're saying the XP media you have is quite old so my advice would be to bring it up to date before re-installing, that way you have fresh media that is also complete and current without the need for endless Windows Updates.

The simplest approach would be to Slipstream Service Pack 2 into your existing install disc and then use an update tool like RyanVM's Integrator to bring it right up to date before burning to CD. The process is quite straight forward as long as you follow the instructions carefully.
Old 28 August 2007, 19:49   #3
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Never updating is a very, very bad idea, unless you completely take the computer off the internet and never expose it to any files of unsafe origin (well it's a good idea not to do the latter anyways ).

A non-updated Windows machine that is directly connected to the internet (i.e. not behind a hardware firewall of sorts, e.g. a router), will almost certainly catch a virus within a very short time.
Old 28 August 2007, 19:52   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

well it makes life a little more fun
Old 28 August 2007, 19:52   #5
mrbob2

Thanks for the advice. I would use my slower laptop for surfing and my faster laptop only for games so it would never go online so no need for security updates or firewalls etc.
Old 28 August 2007, 21:14   #6
samklein

Send a message via MSN to samklein
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Never updating is a very, very bad idea, unless you completely take the computer off the internet and never expose it to any files of unsafe origin (well it's a good idea not to do the latter anyways ).

A non-updated Windows machine that is directly connected to the internet (i.e. not behind a hardware firewall of sorts, e.g. a router), will almost certainly catch a virus within a very short time.

Unless you know what sites is secure to get in.. I sugest use at least a anti-virus like Avast..
You don´t need to reinstall your windows every time it gets too slow.. use 2 or 3 registry cleaners you can find some freeware searching on google like this http://www.google.com.br/search?q=re...ient=firefox-a

You may thinking why 2 or 3 registry cleaners? Because I didn´t see yet one cleaner that really clean all registry.. allways something is left behind.. then I use another one that clean what the other didn´t clean.. get it?

Finally, defrag your hds.. you can find some freewares here.. take a look..
http://www.google.com.br/search?q=fr...ient=firefox-a

Sam
Old 28 August 2007, 21:23   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by samklein View Post
Unless you know what sites is secure to get in..
Well, I don't know if it's still as bad as while back, but a non-SP2 Windows XP version unprotected on the net caught a virus within like 10 minutes a while back, without any user action.
Old 28 August 2007, 21:31   #8
twizzle

Quote:
Well, I don't know if it's still as bad as while back, but a non-SP2 Windows XP version unprotected on the net caught a virus within like 10 minutes a while back, without any user action.
i will second that, it happend to me aswell i could not install the anti virus until the programs had been installed and updated themselfs.
Old 28 August 2007, 21:43   #9
samklein

Quote:

Man, I like that!! without any user action... well, I agree that windows is a virus itself..
Clicking on every link you see in front of you certanly you will caught a virus without doubt!! I have a cousin who used to use no anti-virus and after I teach him how to use a anti-virus and see who(known person) is sending links to him.. he stops to get problems..
If you don´t want to get problems with virus, rootkits and everything else.. use winuae, amiga or linux to navigate!
Old 28 August 2007, 22:01   #10
mrbob2

soooooooo anyway, the point of this thread is i will NOT NEVER EVER be going on the net with my gaming laptop so will i see a speed increase with the bare un bloated XP? The regisrty and HD are both fine
Old 28 August 2007, 22:18   #11
samklein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
soooooooo anyway, the point of this thread is i will NOT NEVER EVER be going on the net with my gaming laptop so will i see a speed increase with the bare un bloated XP? The regisrty and HD are both fine
You can put your gaming laptop online if you want to play online
Without any anti-virus, firewall... yes, you will see a speed increase.. your windows will boot up very fast..
In your another laptop.. install a anti-virus, disable the automatic updates.. even microsoft can make a stupid update to mess your windows..
now, don´t click on links that the sender is not known by you.. don´t ever never used it to pay bills on it, and don´t save passwords on it..
I do this way and never get problems..
Old 28 August 2007, 23:11   #12
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

If you don't update your *nix software it's just as insecure as Windows software, and I do believe rootkits are called rootkits for a reason, root is a very *nixish word. So, meh.

All you really need are security updates and a healthy dose of common sense.
Old 28 August 2007, 23:36   #13
samklein

Quote:
If you don't update your *nix software it's just as insecure as Windows software, and I do believe rootkits are called rootkits for a reason, root is a very *nixish word. So, meh.

Well, I get updates only because some program or device needs one.. now I´m using SP1 because my pendrive wasn´t using full speed (USB2.0).. I use a huge dose of common sense..
I agree about you said about rootkits... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit but it can´t install in your machine alone.. it needs help, your help.. get it?

100% secure operating system doesn´t exist...
I think that who made the operating system secure or insecure is the user..
Old 29 August 2007, 13:53   #14
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

The main problem with XP is not that it is a crappy OS ( no, really ) but all the useless stuff M$ load on top of the underlaying OS.

It still has it's problems, but XP with no added crap does work much better - especially on older hardware.
I'd recommend you take a look @ nLite - It's job is to take your install CD, remove the crap, add any updates you want, and add any extra software yo may want. This all then gets written as a new install CD.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you're interested I'll send you my nLite.ini to help get you going.

Beyond that I'd agree with previous comments:
-Keep your XP up to date! - It's too leaky not to.
-Good defrag proggie.
-Range of registry 'fixers'.
-CC Cleaner to scrape off the build up of windoze crud.
-Install as little software as you can - stuff slows XP

Don't forget:
-Good Antivirus
-Firewall ( hard, or soft )
-Spyware
-Addware... yep, it's that leaky!

Even with all that I still think it's less of a pain to use than Linux - but plenty will disagree with me.
Old 31 August 2007, 17:38   #15
Hewitson

Quote:

Just as insecure? Get a clue mate
Old 31 August 2007, 21:43   #16
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddo View Post
Just as insecure? Get a clue mate
Well I'm not greedy, I only need one exploit that grants me root.