English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 17 August 2023, 07:30   #1
giantclam

GiantClamBake's last garage unboxing...

Although cured now, the 35+ year endurance of living with HCV (after a dirty blood transfusion in the 70's because MBA), has left me with a ravaged liver, and I've somewhere near the last 5-7years of life as I know it...

...this, is a good thing ~ it gives me purpose and reason to unbox lots of old computing gear (not just Amiga), so that it might find a new 'home' to go to, and live on past me pushing up the daisies =). Along the way of course, I'm finding things even I myself haven't laid eyes on since last century or so, and it's been a fun time of reminiscence.

The top unit is a Panasonic CW-7502-B ... I remember burning my first coasters with it ; I still have some successfully burned CDs which actually still read =) I had it hooked up to my A1200 [DKB Cobra030-882-32mb/Ferret SCSI]

...yep, I checked the weight =) That's light-weight compared to the drive under it -- Sony Spressa CDU924S

These are very thin on the ground out in the wild... iirc back in the day, it was considered to be one of Sony's 'mistakes' ..could do overburn, copy certain console media, via hacking the ROMs on it... that thing weighs 2.9lbs ..must have a cast chassis.

I'll have to find a scsi card and check if they still work (the A1200 is in pieces getting a last rework), but unless age alone has tormented them, they were boxed in working order so I'm 'hopeful'.

I've been umming and ahhing about what to do with the A500, but recent PM with fellow member here, twisted my mental arm and I concluded to part it out ...most all of it at any rate. The mainboard I want to big box, 'just because' I always wanted to do that, and in my mind that's a more tempting target these days, because pistorm ...

...so he ended up with more than he bargained for...sold him the A500 kbd complete for what it'll cost me for an A500 kbd_header to PS/2 adapter for the bigbox build, and I've kept an old Dell server PS/2 splatterplank with awesome keystrokes so that'll all be fine... but he ended up with my A590 (byebye fred & wilma), maxtor 50mb scsi hdrive, and the original seagate st-325n 21mb scsi drive which I think still works...

.....and PSU brick of course. There's both a 1084S ans 1942 monitor in a box at the back sequestered behind automatic transmission parts that'll need be moved...

...just found another box full of pre-2000 ISA/PCI and early AGP1 that'll be an interesting lot, not to mention the 3DFX voodoo2 sitting in a box...but I can't get the Acer V66M pentium board to boot up, and it's behaving suspiciously like it's suffering BIOS bitrot...ie; no beeps if ram present removed, beeps when video card present..weird..

...more later.. it's a deep hole of stuff to dig through...
Old 18 August 2023, 11:42   #2
Port89

I've got an A590 too, mines much cleaner though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	79992  
Old 18 August 2023, 15:21   #3
giantclam

That front case panel sunburn looks uncannily familiar....

....got the V66M to fire up... when I saw the BIOS screen, I knew exactly why I was having a hard time pinning down the exact mobo variant.. it's from an IBM Aptiva .. https://archive.org/details/ibmprodu...2174august1999 ...

...had to get the o'scope out to discover the pentium-II that was in it was motorboating... luckily I had another slot-1 phenytoin with humongous pressed steel passive heatsink...

...GPU is a Matrox G200 AGP ... other GPU is a voodoo2 (getting a cleanup)...hdrive is a 4200rpm ST32132A 2gb noisy bugger....I ?think? onboard audio is working, but strangely doesn't appear in BIOS...and not a working PS/2 or serial mouse anywhere to be found around the place...

...did find the scsi JAZ drive, but I know for fact it has an internal fault...only works for around 50% of the head sweep, then looses the plot, like a fractured ribbon conductor or something...there's about a half dozen cartz for it as well....

...I'll have to check, but I think the slim 3.5" IDE 640mb drive and ribbon cable to fit inside the A1200 was in the same box as the JAZ..under some boxes of sound blaster cards ... I know that drive is all xpk compressed, so I probably should boot that on the A1200 (after rolling back roms), as there maybe some interesting stuff on it stored away...
Old 19 August 2023, 05:54   #4
giantclam

Yep...my old Seagate slimline 3.5" from the A1200...

...that drive's still good....

Voodoo2 all cleaned up...this is the 8mb CT-6670

....excavation continues...
Old 20 August 2023, 07:22   #5
giantclam

.... simm d'jour ...

Old 21 August 2023, 07:44   #6
giantclam

...old PCI SCSI card located....now, if I can just find the box of cables, I can check if those CD burners are still alive....

Old 28 August 2023, 07:11   #7
giantclam

The last A500 board I have left...rev.6A with spiderweb on rom...

....even left myself a mod_note...

Old 28 August 2023, 10:46   #8
giantclam

Tried the voodoo2 last night ~ bugga, win95 not seeing it, although video pass-thru was fine. Left the machine idling for a bit, then gave it the magic finger test ; TMU and it's ramfield was dead cold...like, even though they're not being utilized they typically generate powered state heat...pull the card for a close inspection...

...which I got around to this'arvo... the card was topmost in a mini-tower case, and so backside of the PCB was really dirty, which is why it got a rubbidydub in the ultrasonic bath first off. Before that giving it the visual, I noted one area of the board where some insect had decided to excrete bodily fluids upon the smd components thereabouts, so I headed for this spot straight away...typically ultrasonic cleaning removes corroded/damaged bits, and same was so here, 2 caps gone, clean it all up & replace caps with new...

...and win95 now detects it, and we're away (potato test) [ Show youtube player ]

I still remember buying that card for my son back in '98 ~ for me, the voodoo2 drew a line in the sand, that the NEXT Amiga (that never came) had to equal ... it was already like that in the x86 crowd ~ if you didn't have a voodoo2 you were lame =) ...and only the rich could afford the 12mb version...you could pretty much buy an entire A1200 system with monitor 2ndhand for the same money....

...all I have to add to that box, is a floppy drive, and it's bye-bye time ...prolly ebay... do want to VGA capture some of my own rollcage playing first though... =)
Old 02 September 2023, 14:18   #9
giantclam

....XT clone... (1986 datecodes)

Old 04 September 2023, 09:33   #10
giantclam

AT/XT PC100/PC102 keyboards, genuine still working clicky keys...

....compaq/hp cnt75mxz47 16bit soundcards (onboard audio amp) ..ES1869

...nearly at the monitors now....
Old 04 September 2023, 15:13   #11
breech

Looks like a fun project resurrecting that old gear
Old 05 September 2023, 02:06   #12
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
Looks like a fun project resurrecting that old gear

More fun than flicking through a 40year old photo-album =)
Old 06 September 2023, 03:49   #13
giantclam

..been having some fun with the voodoo2 ...stumbled across these ads... =)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 September 2023, 12:40   #14
giantclam

...ahh, found these....I grabbed a few of them years ago....

..have to mod the A1200 RF shield to fit (it'll hang over the power section caps, not any of the chipset), and although it's only 1GB in size, the '1200 has a DKB Cobra & Ferret SCSI, so additional storage will come from....

....as someone echoed to me, these are really handy for bulk transfer of data between machines..

....I believe I saw an original Xbox with 'transparent' case....
Old 08 September 2023, 06:14   #15
giantclam

....I did see a puttie cat...

Still boots, hdrive still works....haven't found the optical drive yet (it's broken, that was this machine's problem)...I think I saw the controllers in another box....

..one of 2 EMU10K1 soundcards I used for creating free-running ambient/atmospheric sound at art exhibits/installations back near the turn of the century. I've got another of these somewhere with all the 'wincap' capacitors replaced with Elna audio caps and ultra low noise op-amps....

....back then, this was all setup on an AMD K6-2 mobo, and used a lot of custom LADSPA plugins, running under AMS -- I still have all the patch files, but I know (having already tried) that I have to recreate the hardware base & OS structure (particularly alsa/kernel parts) for the patches to actually run/work. You can hear one track of this stuff... [ Show youtube player ] ...
Old 08 September 2023, 08:39   #16
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
..been having some fun with the voodoo2 ...stumbled across these ads... =)

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for sharing. - Brilliant!
Old 08 September 2023, 13:10   #17
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Thanks for sharing. - Brilliant!

..that pivot line of "Hey...lets use it for games!" has stuck with me for decades ... but one image that still cracks me big time...

LOL ....perhaps they had to place it like that to access the ramfield...bwahaha....

....can't check the SCSI optical drives yet, as they're both caddy loaders, and of course the rubber drive belts have gone to pot (same with the IDE PATA cdrom drives).... I've got some belts coming, but they both still appear on the scsi_bus as they should... doesn't mean a lot, but it's something....

....that V66M build is all but ...I just want to image the old 2.1GB Seagate and retire it (to preserve working condition), and get it booting from IDE<->CF media instead ... it'll be so much quieter, then I'll drag it in here and do some video capture...
Old 10 September 2023, 06:16   #18
giantclam

Checked & working video cards...

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...359-s3-trio64v

http://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manu...ernine.php#SR9

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...200-le-sd-16mb

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...-128-pro-ultra

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...radeon-9600-xt
Old 09 October 2023, 16:37   #19
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

We are now exactly one month on tomorrow since you last posted....

Having not heard much more in a while, I'm guessing your "Garage unboxing" is now well & truly "unboxed" fella?

Thing is.... Was it good for ya?
Old 10 October 2023, 02:06   #20
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
We are now exactly one month on tomorrow since you last posted....

Having not heard much more in a while, I'm guessing your "Garage unboxing" is now well & truly "unboxed" fella?

Thing is.... Was it good for ya?

Nahh... not finished yet ~ broke my toe (kicked something) helping a mate erect a shed last week, 2 weeks of school holidays before that pinned me down to grandpa duties (grandkids love coming out to here in the countryside), and got sidetracked building a couple of 'retro PCs' to sell off while the marketplace is keen for this junk...

....I have to check pimiga for another member here (that's next on the rank), and then I can get back to rifling the shed out =)

...and just for you, defining 'countryside' ....