English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 January 2012, 16:09   #21
pubzombie

@syncro that is a TRUE work of art. I will ask my misses if it can live with us.
Thanks to y'all for the links. Hacking my Xbox has just moved significantly up my todo list. Just behind strip the mould deposits of my resin garage kit of Bub the Zombie. More rainy weekends plaese
Old 30 August 2017, 09:26   #22
E-Penguin
Banana

After well over a decade gathering dust in my parents' garage I've got my xbox back (why did my parents throw away my original Amiga but not the xbox...?)

No controllers or games left. It does have a hardware mod in it, although I can't remember which one. Probably xchip. I feel I should do something with it. Is it old enough to count as retro in of itself these days?

I tried a bit of googling but couldn't find a very active scene, at least not comparable to that of the glorious Amiga. Is it too new? To generic-console to warrant attention after all this time?

Would love to hear from anyone doing anything of interest with theirs!
Old 30 August 2017, 09:59   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There was a huge scene but it has gone.

But THE forum which contains all the advice given back in the day is (was?) still accessible.

http://xboxforums.com/

Failing that perhaps try XBMC4XBOX community. This is a port of Kodi (XBMC) for the Xbox and has skins etc. for various emulators with cover packs etc.

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
Old 30 August 2017, 10:19   #24
E-Penguin
Banana

I've found a fair few forums that appear abandoned. It's sad that people have moved on - I wonder whether in another 10 years it will have a resurgence in popularity as the Amiga did, or maybe there was never that much fondness for the machine? It was fairly hackable, by console standards.
Old 30 August 2017, 12:01   #25
zardoz
Zone Friend

There's no emulator for any xbox is there? I'm sure that makes a difference; there are plenty of people who arrive here after trying winuae / fs-uae having never touched an Amiga before.

Makes you wonder what sort of retro scene there's going to be for modern consoles - they're all the same and there doesn't seem to be the wow factor anymore when jumping from one generation to the next. Retro Ouya forum anyone ;-)
Old 30 August 2017, 12:06   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Possibly, there is no good XBOX Original emulators. (Maybe some 360 emulators can do XBOX Original titles).

But 3D games don't age well. I can't bare playing the majority of PSOne games
Old 30 August 2017, 13:23   #27
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

True, 3D PSOne and Saturn games hasn't aged well, 2D games like Lomax & Castlevania SOTN still looks pretty damn good.

If you still use XBOX for emulation I highly recommend EmuXtras.
New stuff is still being ported to this day, latest addition is MESS, CDi and some obscure systems are now playable on the good old box.

Also in case you missed it, MrNova released a modified set of bioses a few years back which force progressive scan on all Xboxs, even PAL boxes.
http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewto...p?f=187&t=5208

Last edited by Retroplay; 30 August 2017 at 13:30.
Old 31 August 2017, 10:49   #28
S0ulA55a551n

Looking into it your best best is still xbmc on original xbox. Plays all media , loads of emulators etc. Easy to softwood and put big hdd into it and can then just ftp everything to it.

Wii is also very easy to hack without any hardware mods and will give you the ability to run so much home-brew and have an external hdd full of games. Not sure if they ever got the gamecube games working via backup.

also shout out for 3ds , especially the new ones, can now hack these with just softmods and keep updating them afterwards. Loads of emulators and can play back ups if you are so inclined. Can even copy your own carts to the sd card so you can carry all your carts with you.

Seems from my research that a modded 360 is just good for backup games and cheating in games like cod. No real home-brew or emulators
Old 31 August 2017, 11:06   #29
ransom1122

My Modded Wii can play GC Discs. ALso I think you can play GC Backups from External HDD now with the wii, but I may be wrong there. Haven't used my wii or Xbox Classic in ages..
Old 31 August 2017, 13:50   #30
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Still using my modchipped Xbox in the bedroom with all manner of emulators on it, man that thing has served me well, they're nothing if not robust!
Old 31 August 2017, 13:55   #31
E-Penguin
Banana

They do make a noise though. I plugged it in and it sounded like a helicopter about to take off.
Old 31 August 2017, 15:48   #32
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I replaced the fans in my Xboxes with silent 80mm fans and raised fan speed up to 30% in bios and still it hardly says anything.
The only downside is you have to do some minor cutting to the case for them to fit, but it's worth it.

Wii can play GC games from SD/USB, I haven't used mine in ages but back when I did use it WiiFlow got the job done just fine.
Nowadays Nintendont seems to be the best choice.
Old 31 August 2017, 17:01   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
My Modded Wii can play GC Discs. ALso I think you can play GC Backups from External HDD now with the wii, but I may be wrong there. Haven't used my wii or Xbox Classic in ages..
Yes the Wii can play GC disks from HD with Nintendont and it is fully integrated into the cover-based USBLoaders. You can also play WiiWare from HD now too.

Problem with the Wii is it's crap 480p output. Even with component HD cables it doesn't look sharp.

The Wii U is fully hacked and has HDMI output, can play all Wii Homebrew (emulators) in vWii mode and there is Homebrew (emulators) written for the Wii U native mode for the faster CPU and better gfx. Games from all 3 platforms (Wii U, Wii & GC) can be played from HDD
Old 31 August 2017, 17:33   #34
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The Wii U is fully hacked and has HDMI output, can play all Wii Homebrew (emulators) in vWii mode and there is Homebrew (emulators) written for the Wii U native mode for the faster CPU and better gfx. Games from all 3 platforms (Wii U, Wii & GC) can be played from HDD
I have to look into getting a Wii U. I love my Wii, this sounds only better.
The main downside to the Wii U is lack of GC controller ports, but I think you can find an adapter. Not for the memory though, so I guess the HD/SD/USB loading options for GC save to virtual NAND? Never tried, I have a GC memcard on my Wii.
Old 31 August 2017, 18:58   #35
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Yes the Wii can play GC disks from HD with Nintendont and it is fully integrated into the cover-based USBLoaders. You can also play WiiWare from HD now too.

Problem with the Wii is it's crap 480p output. Even with component HD cables it doesn't look sharp.

Say what. Can hack wii u and play gc games on it. I am in. Any good sources. Soft mod ? Is it as advanced as wii and 3ds hacks. As Zelda was last game now seems time to hack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 August 2017, 20:53   #36
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Say what. Can hack wii u and play gc games on it. I am in. Any good sources. Soft mod ? Is it as advanced as wii and 3ds hacks. As Zelda was last game now seems time to hack

All over gba temp

Old 02 September 2017, 19:03   #37
rare_j
Zone Friend

The xbox emulation scene started to die off when retroarch became a thing and now a raspberry pi with retropie outpaces the xbox quite a bit.
If you want to mod the xbox and play xbox games thats worth doing, but for the emulators raspberry pi and retropie is easier to set up and is better supported.
Old 02 September 2017, 19:18   #38
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
The xbox emulation scene started to die off when retroarch became a thing and now a raspberry pi with retropie outpaces the xbox quite a bit.

If you want to mod the xbox and play xbox games thats worth doing, but for the emulators raspberry pi and retropie is easier to set up and is better supported.

Yeah got a pi 3 in the case already

Old 22 February 2020, 04:59   #39
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Does anybody know if the Pound HD Link cable still is the best solution for HDMI these days for XBOX (the original first generation) ?

[edit]
Ordered a Pound HDMI cable, hopefully that'll take care of business.

Last edited by Retroplay; 22 February 2020 at 19:58.
Old 28 February 2020, 00:39   #40
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Cool XBOX mod for Wii2HDMI.
I might just order an extra Wii2HDMI and try this out myself.
[ Show youtube player ]