English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 May 2009, 17:10   #1
MrFluffy

scsi cdrom steps

Hi all, Im a bit confused at the various instructions for cdrom install so would appreciate a little clarity injecting into my cloudy brain.
Ive got a working scsi hd in my A2000, which boots to workbench using a gvp scsi/ram zorro card and seems to be using gvp.scsi device.
I put in the cdrom on scsi id 2 (ive tried it on 4 also), and the cable is hard terminated with a scsi terminator.
How can I actually see if the gvp card can see it? should it show up somewhere in workbench despite not having the cdrom fs installed? sort of a lspci|grep scsi equivalent but for workbench/cli instead of linux?

I havent done anything to the gvp card to tell it there is another device on the chain, do I need to run some sort of setup program or the like? cant seem to find anything on the hd, hdformat on there declares theres no hard drive in the system despite wb booting from it!

I never had a hd back in the day... S'all new to me

Old 19 May 2009, 17:39   #2
thomas

There is a nice little query program in the IDEfix97 package called FindDevice.
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/IDEfix97
(Do *not* install the software, just unpack the archive and run the FindDevice program.)
It will tell you if the drive is recognised and what the driver's name is.

In order to use the CD drive you need to install a file system, for example this: http://aminet.net/package/disk/cdrom/amicdfs240
Unpack the archive and follow the instructions, they are very detailed. Basically you need to know the name of the SCSI driver and it's SCSI ID, then you need the file system program in the L drawer and you need a text file in Devs/DosDrivers which connects the file system to the drive (change Device= and Unit= to match the driver and ID).
Old 20 May 2009, 02:49   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Also remember the drive is called "gvpscsi.device" (all letters in lowercase and no spaces).
Old 20 May 2009, 09:18   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
If you are running WB3.1, all you have to do is copy the file "gvpscsi.device" to WB3.1/devs directory. Boot from the floppy, go to the folder called storage, then dosdrivers, select the icon for CD0, right click and select info from the, I think, Workbench header, then change device name to "gvpscsi.device" and the unit number to whatever it should be, save it. Open a CLI / Shell window and type mount cd0:

After that, it should just work.

Paul
Old 20 May 2009, 12:54   #5
MrFluffy

Ah cool, thomas that program see's the yamaha scsi cdrom on id 2. And what is even better is I managed to transfer it onto the amiga using a old 720k disk and crossdos emulation, so now I have a way of getting things on the amiga provided they can be split into 720k lumps.

Now to spend some time overcoming the second problem, don't laugh but I cant find the miggy keyboard to add the words gvp to the cd0 config properties, its set to scsi.device at the moment...
Im sure I put kb somewhere safe when I ordered a pc->amiga kb adaptor so I could use it on a kvm, and the adaptor turned up and now doesn't work. My office is a mess...

Old 20 May 2009, 13:42   #6
thomas

This one works: http://www.vesalia.de/e_lyra.htm
I never had a problem with KVM and keyboards. Problems only arise with mice. I only found one KVM which works with a PS/2-Amiga mouse adapter. It's from Belkin.

However, you could transfer CD0 to the PC, edit it inside WinUAE or with Linux and then transfer it back. (Do not use Windows editors because they add carriage return characters which confuse the Amiga).

Please note that the CD0 and CDRomFileSystem which come with WB 3.1 are very basic. You should really switch to AmiCDFS or CacheCDFS. The Commodore CDRomFileSystem can only read basic ISO9660, not even Rockridge with Amiga extensions, not to mention Joliet or the like.
Old 20 May 2009, 16:07   #7
MrFluffy

Heh, with a belkin the problem is usually that the ps2 mouse looses sync when you switch too fast. I have a 4 port on my desk here and I am always cursing it. Belkin must have done more to teach keystroke navigation than any other product on the market

I tried to edit the file, but it was commented out with the comment that the setting was controlled by the tooltypes option on the icon rather than the file itself, I changed it anyway in vi and recopied it but it still shows scsi.device and not gvpscsi.device in the properties, so I have to edit the tooltype menu still it seems.

Now where is that damn keyboard, its driving me insane now, how do you loose a entire keyboard!

Old 20 May 2009, 17:12   #8
thomas

Just delete the icon. Without keyboard: drag CD0 to the PC floppy, then delete it from the HDD. On the PC delete PC.info. On the Amiga enable "Show All" on the floppy and drag CD0 back to the HDD.

Is it still in Storage/DosDrivers ? Move it to Devs/DosDrivers, then it is mounted automatically during startup.
Old 20 May 2009, 22:07   #9
MrFluffy

Icon deleted, now theres just the cd0 item itself rather than the ico file too, and moved it to Devs/DosDrivers too. Its ignoring the cdrom still though.
If I click on the CD0 program direct, it cant run it as I guess its just instructions to mount the filesystem rather than a actual executeable?

Is the ico file just a plain ascii file too? if so someone couldnt possibly paste one here so I can re-create it but with the changed parameters?
I did save it to a floppy, and got to relive another experience, crc errors...

On thinking about it, I think I forgot to uncomment the lines that defined the device. Let me try that and repeat first...

Old 20 May 2009, 23:06   #10
thomas

Quote:
Is the ico file just a plain ascii file too?
No, the info file is binary. But you can use any. Just copy pipe.info as cd0.info. And don't forget to put Device and Unit into cd0.

Better get a keyboard soon...