English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2019, 21:16   #341
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I had to go download the file myself and drop it into the windows/system folder. All good now.
I just had to Swap the Ct4780 Live! out for a PCI 128 as it's been a bit Weird as of late the Card has Definitely got a Fault on the Plus side the PCI 128 has Very good Dos drivers Compared to the Live!
Old 20 June 2019, 21:24   #342
lesta_smsc

So I installed Windows ME... I quite liked it because it allows usb and other devices without additional drivers. It was fast too!

Anyways I then installed Windows 98 SE for the option of restart in DOS mode. Unfortunately, my motherboard although supports DOS sound via southbridge, the legacy sound needs to be enabled in BIOS first... but my BIOS has no such option! Now I'm looking into possibility of BIOS mod.
Old 20 June 2019, 22:16   #343
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
So I installed Windows ME... I quite liked it because it allows usb and other devices without additional drivers. It was fast too!

Anyways I then installed Windows 98 SE for the option of restart in DOS mode. Unfortunately, my motherboard although supports DOS sound via southbridge, the legacy sound needs to be enabled in BIOS first... but my BIOS has no such option! Now I'm looking into possibility of BIOS mod.
There will Probably already be one Floating around a Modded Bios
Old 21 June 2019, 00:30   #344
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
There will Probably already be one Floating around a Modded Bios
I sure hope So! The same bios is used by many models but I'm not sure whether support for an older revision ends in later releases...
Old 21 June 2019, 10:13   #345
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
I just had to Swap the Ct4780 Live! out for a PCI 128 as it's been a bit Weird as of late the Card has Definitely got a Fault on the Plus side the PCI 128 has Very good Dos drivers Compared to the Live!
But the Live has built in MPU401 emulation so glorious midi music in DOS games under windows. Also sound blaster 16 support for those effects. Monkey Island sounds fantastic on it.

Quote:
I sure hope So! The same bios is used by many models but I'm not sure whether support for an older revision ends in later releases...
There may be a hidden menu accessable by a key combination. Try googling for it or try mashing the keyboard lol.
Old 21 June 2019, 11:19   #346
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
But the Live has built in MPU401 emulation so glorious midi music in DOS games under windows. Also sound blaster 16 support for those effects. Monkey Island sounds fantastic on it.

There may be a hidden menu accessable by a key combination. Try googling for it or try mashing the keyboard lol.
Yeah I know I Was gutted having to Replace it but would rather have something that works and doesn't act Weird
Old 21 June 2019, 11:27   #347
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:

have had Two of them and They have both Acted up for Me. The Jetway board I had when I First Started the Thread was a lot Better with the Live! than my Asus P4SE Board. VIA Chipsets Seem to be the way to go. I have Sis Chipsets and have Ran into a lot of Strange Incompatibility issues that I just never encountered with VIA
Old 21 June 2019, 12:16   #348
lesta_smsc

VIA is good because they provide their own drivers as well as getting some from board manufacturers.

They provide DOS AC'97 codec sound... If you have option in bios. This is not possible on other boards
Old 21 June 2019, 12:54   #349
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
VIA is good because they provide their own drivers as well as getting some from board manufacturers.

They provide DOS AC'97 codec sound... If you have option in bios. This is not possible on other boards
Yeah I noticed that Option in the Jetway Bios before she Died
Old 21 June 2019, 13:02   #350
lesta_smsc

Just need to find a way to enable it on mine.

Update: I got it to say "test" in dos!... hoping for more soon...

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 22 June 2019 at 19:54.
Old 22 June 2019, 20:29   #351
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Just need to find a way to enable it on mine.

Update: I got it to say "test" in dos!... hoping for more soon...
How's it going so far
Old 22 June 2019, 20:32   #352
lesta_smsc

It works to a degree but I'm sure I need to have full bios access to enable it. It's crashing on selecting interrupt but DMA is fine and it is on port is 220!
Old 22 June 2019, 20:45   #353
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
It works to a degree but I'm sure I need to have full bios access to enable it. It's crashing on selecting interrupt but DMA is fine and it is on port is 220!
is your 16 bit DMA set to 7?
Old 22 June 2019, 22:46   #354
lesta_smsc

Success!!! I can't believe It!

Sound it was a matter of putting set blaster before starting the .com files. Strange because everywhere else the set blaster is last. Without going in this order it does not give sound correctly.

Prince of Persia 2 with background music and in-game sounds! Never heard it sound so good!

Was planning on selling this on... although not sure now as this is a portable true DOS machine.
Old 22 June 2019, 22:51   #355
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Success!!! I can't believe It!

Sound it was a matter of putting set blaster before starting the .com files. Strange because everywhere else the set blaster is last. Without going in this order it does not give sound correctly.

Prince of Persia 2 with background music and in-game sounds! Never heard it sound so good!

Was planning on selling this on... although not sure now as this is a portable true DOS machine.
Personal Opinion, Keep it Bro rare as Rocking horse Poop to have Dos sound on a Laptop :-)
Old 22 June 2019, 23:48   #356
lesta_smsc

I think I will. I am so excited right now that I got it working! And now I can do set this with a bootdisk if I wanted to use newer Windows. I think I may put Windows ME back on as it has DOS mode access through software override but the added benefit of USB support natively.

Even my old desktop would not support having music and sound on POP2! Well it did but SFX would occasionally glitch. Now it's spot on!

I'm very impressed VIA provided this on AC'97 codec! And hopefully this configuration method may help others. I might have to register on VOGON to supply the info.

I didn't think setting the set blaster earlier would be the solution. But it is. I think the other driver loaders makes use of the settings if available!

Update: you could all potentially use VDMSound for running DOS games via Windows 98 if there are no native drivers for DOS! This may be my next project lol...

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 23 June 2019 at 11:34.
Old 23 June 2019, 13:16   #357
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
I think I will. I am so excited right now that I got it working! And now I can do set this with a bootdisk if I wanted to use newer Windows. I think I may put Windows ME back on as it has DOS mode access through software override but the added benefit of USB support natively.

Even my old desktop would not support having music and sound on POP2! Well it did but SFX would occasionally glitch. Now it's spot on!

I'm very impressed VIA provided this on AC'97 codec! And hopefully this configuration method may help others. I might have to register on VOGON to supply the info.

I didn't think setting the set blaster earlier would be the solution. But it is. I think the other driver loaders makes use of the settings if available!

Update: you could all potentially use VDMSound for running DOS games via Windows 98 if there are no native drivers for DOS! This may be my next project lol...
Yes I do Agree with you that ME was good for Native USB Support but (And I know you have Probably been told this 100 Times already) it's quite a Messy OS in General in Comparison to 98SE, Yes I know you have to Install Drivers and Patches Manually but it makes for a Much better Experience than ME. Plus with Unofficial SP3 you can make 98SE look like ME if that's what your Going for :-) I do not hate ME by all Means, 98SE is just the Better Option in my Eyes
Old 23 June 2019, 13:19   #358
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

What a Quirky little Card the PCI 128 is :-) Some of the Music and Sounds aren't what they should be but not in a bad way at all! it Makes the Wolfenstein 3D Music sound Badass! the output is Set to Analog though when in Dos would this be why I can only get Music from Jill of the Jungle as its Digitized SoundBlaster Effects? If so how do I go About Changing the Output?
Old 23 June 2019, 15:36   #359
lesta_smsc

Yes I've got usb drivers now so no point changing back.

Though I wonder if there is any real benefit of true DOS mode vs the one in Windows itself?
Old 23 June 2019, 15:41   #360
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Yes I've got usb drivers now so no point changing back.

Though I wonder if there is any real benefit of true DOS mode vs the one in Windows itself?
The Dos Games that Play up for me in Windows always Seem to Be fine in Dos Mode so theres a Benefit