English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 December 2005, 01:10   #1
-=SPY=-

Any aussies about ???

Hi mates .. I used to be really into the amiga scene back in early 90's when carding and using whitebox(phreak software) to modem trade worldwide :-) I was a member of Liberty who was a cracking/phreaking group based in australia who wrote the software called Whitebox which was very well know for its free call making on the old ccitt5 systems which have been upgraded to digital :-( which caused the death of phreaking in OZ,There was only blue box which stopped working also and then only option was AT&T cards which was very unsafe.Liberty got busted for there software and credit carding etc .... i then joined a german based group called SUBZERO who were a demo making crew but the scene was still dying as not many people could trade wares so i left the scene after getting in bit of troulbe myself... aussie BBS systems i was regulary uploading to are ... Borderline,Blue Obssession,The Nut factory, Predators,Blue Marlin,Devastation phase 1,Hamburger heaven and few others.... overseas bbs i used to be on .... 7th Heaven, Hangar 18, and few others ....
I gave away computers for few years getting back into it all again... would like to hear from any fellow old skool amiga users who where on any of the bbs sytems i mentioned or you remember me from the old days :-)
Greets to all the old skool groups Paradox,Quartex,Subzero,Decay,Crystal,Fairlight,Bamiga sector 1,Rebels

would like to hear from any people from the old days...
LAter....
-=SPY=-
Old 09 December 2005, 13:04   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hey -=SPY=-,

I'm an Australian from Sydney but been living in London for the past 6.5 years. I used to have an Amiga 500 but never really used BBS that often. I used to visit this game pirate in Sydenham who had loads and loads of stuff which I think he grabbed from BBS.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:01   #3
-=SPY=-

hahah I know who you talking about .. the fat bloke named Michael.... yeah i used to upload games to him.... he eventually run a BBS as well .... he lived in a dump of a very narrow house with his mum and dad etc , that place smelt real bad and it was on a main road across from train Tracks and he had movie posters all over the walls of his room and he had 1000's of amiga disks... he use to charge $5 a game lol

small world aye ???? :-)

later matey...

p.s. I lived 3 suburbs away from him in mascot.....
Old 12 December 2005, 15:31   #4
DamienD
Banned

No way, that's the guy

I used to visit once a month or so and grab the latest games from him.

Spent loads of money. Sometimes the games didn't work, he was pretty cool about it though. Next time you came along he'd just let you grab another game.

Small world indeed.

PS. I used to live with my parents in Caringbah, Sutherland Shire. I used to visit Micahel with my friend who lived in Hurstville. Not sure how he got to know this guy...

This was was about 15+ years ago. I must have only been 13 - 14 years old at the time. Unfortunately my Amiga broke soon afterwards and we never got it fixed

Last edited by DamienD; 12 December 2005 at 15:52.
Old 12 December 2005, 19:18   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I'm an Aussie living in Perth. Only really got into BBS's in the mid-90s when I struck up a friendship with a scener called the Heavyweight^Brk. Mainly logged on to Terra Firma run by a guy called Psyche (Dario) here in Perth. Still got some stuff that I leeched from Terra Firma archived on CD. Unfortunately I also lost a heap in HD crashes etc. back in the 90s when CD burners and media were quite pricey. Anyway, Terra Firma was shut down by Psyche around 1996/97 and I looked to the net to grab Amiga stuff. Soon gained access to ftp sites with contacts made on Galaxynet. Accessed one or two overseas BBS's (e.g. The Bitch, Boondocks) via telnet back in the late 90s, but they were often quite slow compared to local BBS's and ftp sites. Have to say that I miss the old skool BBS's. Only thing on the net that has come close to them in all these years has been EAB!
Old 13 December 2005, 00:01   #6
-=SPY=-

small world damien.... hehehe would you believe i now live in the shire in Miranda....

and yeah Michael was ok... he used to advertise selling games in the Trading post ... thats prob how your mate got in touch with him.

ANd to Drbong ... Dario from perth ??? I know that name Dario ... He also did he used to go by old alias Quasar or the Smurf ???? I used to use some Unix Systems as well never heard of Terra Firma . i left the scene in 93-94 the Group Liberty run the bbs called Destiny Stone...
Old 13 December 2005, 01:28   #7
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Exclamation

Has anyone noticed how the font used by connex/yarra trams (public transport in Melbourne/Au) looks suspiciously like WB>2.0 Topaz?
Old 13 December 2005, 02:56   #8
Galaxy

and I'm in Canberra - Been using Amigas since 1990, but never visited a BBS as I did not get a modem until late 1996.
Old 13 December 2005, 04:09   #9
EternalAmiga

Well I'm from Perth originally, currently living in Geraldton now though.

I never was into BBS' etc however I used to buy some games off a guy out near Midland who had thousands of disks and a room full of Amigas. I think he advertised in the paper. I remember ringing him up about 12 years ago when I saw his ad in the paper and being amazed at how cheap he could sell Flight of The Amazon Queen for! Little did I realise it was cracked - didn't matter to a 12 year old kid though!
Old 14 December 2005, 07:15   #10
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Hi from Adelaide...

I didn't get a modem until ~1993-94, didn't get on any pirate BBS's...
Got about 100-200 disks (out of his collection of ~2000) full of stuff from America when I was dating a BBS sysop's daughter though
Most of the stuff I got before that was just swaps with friends.

These days I don't have much time for games, usually 1-2 hours a week on the PC and no time for the poor Ami... Sold the A500 a few years back anyway, only got the CD32 now.
Old 17 February 2006, 05:50   #11
Rimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPY=-
Hi mates .. I used to be really into the amiga scene back in early 90's when carding and using whitebox(phreak software) to modem trade worldwide :-) I was a member of Liberty who was a cracking/phreaking group based in australia who wrote the software called Whitebox which was very well know for its free call making on the old ccitt5 systems which have been upgraded to digital :-( which caused the death of phreaking in OZ,There was only blue box which stopped working also and then only option was AT&T cards which was very unsafe.Liberty got busted for there software and credit carding etc .... i then joined a german based group called SUBZERO who were a demo making crew but the scene was still dying as not many people could trade wares so i left the scene after getting in bit of troulbe myself... aussie BBS systems i was regulary uploading to are ... Borderline,Blue Obssession,The Nut factory, Predators,Blue Marlin,Devastation phase 1,Hamburger heaven and few others.... overseas bbs i used to be on .... 7th Heaven, Hangar 18, and few others ....
I gave away computers for few years getting back into it all again... would like to hear from any fellow old skool amiga users who where on any of the bbs sytems i mentioned or you remember me from the old days :-)
Greets to all the old skool groups Paradox,Quartex,Subzero,Decay,Crystal,Fairlight,Bamiga sector 1,Rebels

would like to hear from any people from the old days...
LAter....
-=SPY=-
Hi..

I'm an Aussie too, I'm in Melbourne / victoria and i used to run a public domain bbs called Backwards BBs, i had over 1000 users on the bbs, ithe bbs program i was using is called pcboard which ran on my old 486 pc.

I still have my amiga 500 with 5 meg memory blizzard turbo board and 20 meg hd..(Could have been bigger) and a kickstart rom sharer..
I also have an ami600 as well plus not to mention my other pc's,
Plus i have over 700 amiga disk's

The Darkside....
Comp 1
-------
Amd 1.3 gig duron
120 gig hd
----------------------
Comp 2
-------
DFI Nf4 ultra infinity mobo
Amd athlon64-3200+ (Venice)
1 Gig ddr400 memory.
Asus extreme n6200tc gfx card
dvd writer
smc cable/dsl 4 port 10/100mbps broadband router
Two 120 gig hd's

regards from Len..

Old 17 February 2006, 06:27   #12
gizmomelb

ahh missed this thread.

another Aussie/Melbournite. Used to track tunes/code trainers/intros as an indie, but was loosely affiliated with Punishers (oh the shame!). Also used to run an independant BBS - Cyberspace, which started on an XT with 20MB HDD - eventually it grew to multi-node dial-ins and a 486 (from memory) before I closed it due to lack of callers (and the mainstream appearance of internet dial in accounts).
Old 17 February 2006, 08:25   #13
cooldude

Thumbs up

G'day to any other Aussies out there. I'm from Adelaide & still use my Ami most days!!
Started with a C64, A500 & now A1200 '060.

Used to go on a few boards here for games, like most people.

Now I collect WHDL games & make MP3s. The miggy's still fun so I see no reason to stop using it,
although I'm on my second motherboard 8^/

PS- Anyone got MagiC64 V1.8 Registered - Just started putting C64 games on the HD
& V1.8 uses tooltypes (Start a game from it's own icon etc)

Cheers mates!
Old 17 February 2006, 09:22   #14
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

G'day peeps.

I used to live in the UK (Portsmouth), where i got my first Amiga, before emigrating to Perth in 1990, Now living in Melbourne (Melton), I still have my original A500, just dont have the time or room to fire it up, along with the A1200.
Old 19 February 2006, 05:08   #15
polish

I bought 2 A500's off whiteb, and my friend eric had recently gave me an A1200 HD wich im going to start to put into a tower and ill be taking pics along the way
Old 19 February 2006, 05:17   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Hey, polish, have you been following the minimig hardware thread on Amiga.org ?

Amiga on a chip....................
Old 19 February 2006, 08:52   #17
polish

no, havnt seen it yet but thanks for pointing it out it looks quite awesome with the size and disks as flash cards will be awesome

I wonder how much it would cost to build, materials will be a bit hard to find too

oh and it would look sweeet as with a PSP LCD running widescreen in an awesome case with the boing and rainbow amiga tick on the back
Old 20 February 2006, 04:08   #18
cronos

I am from Melbourne, and I used to go by the name, Terminator (or tRm). I was a graphic/ascii artist and swapper for many european legal groups such as Trance Inc. Eventually I joined Broken with Heavyweight who now created 'Affinity' with some other Perth sceners.

I got into the BBS scene very late (mid 90s), so I don't really remember the names of those leet BBS's. All I can remember was a sysop named 'Count Zero' who ran a rather large BBS.

I miss the old days... I still have my Amiga 4000, but I rarely use it thesedays...
Old 20 February 2006, 05:50   #19
polish

would you mind selling or giving away that Amiga 4000 since you rarely use it?
Old 20 February 2006, 07:21   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

Yeah im an Australian too living in Melbourne, Victoria.. and the main BBS's i used to frequent were " Satans Loins ", " Empire ", " Woodstock " .. and a few others that i cant remember... i had a list of about 8 that used to call through Terminus.

And a friend and I had our own BBS for a little while called " Dark Fusion " ... im not sure if anyone would remember us though.. but the sysop was Nexus, and i was the co-sysop known as Blade.

Oh the good old the days..