English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 September 2011, 10:14   #1
SteveE

Angry Don't you dare ignore me again :( (Kick Off 2 World Cup - 12/13 November)

Just to let you know that this year the Kick Off 2 World Cup will be held in England - yep, it's been 10 years in the making but the world cup finally comes to Birmingham!

This is a 2 day event and based on your games on Day 1 you'l be places with players of similar ability on Day 2 so you'l have plenty of close games over the weekend.

Even if you were a fan of other footy games this is your chance to experience a massive retro gaming world cup. With cheap flights heading into B'ham along with a dedicated Taxi service to ensure you'r not stranged at the Airport, we'l make your experience absolutely spot on. If you'r in the UK? Well these only come by every 4 years in this country so this is a wonderful chance to pit your wits against other players.

What we'r aiming for is to ideally have many players from different Boards - clans if you like - see how you fare compared to your mates.

Register here!

Last edited by TCD; 28 September 2011 at 00:20.
Old 07 September 2011, 10:22   #2
Amiga Forever

Question

Where is Senisble Soccer World Cup?
Old 07 September 2011, 10:31   #3
SteveE

This is the Sensible World Cup hehe

We do get SWOS fans attending though - I'm one myself. Loved playing online at swos.de with Redhair and Playavelli but being the age I am, I played loads of games on the Amiga and loved Kick Off 2. SWOS is great to play online, but no-one handles offline tournaments such as this one better than Kick Off 2 which is why we get fans of all footy games from this era attend.
Old 15 September 2011, 15:53   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Angry Don't you dare ignore me again

I know I start this thread every year but this time I thought of adopting a more aggressive policy, hoping to get at least a dozen of replies.

The 11th Kick Off 2 World Cup will be held in Birmingham, UK on 12th and 13th November at the Menzies Strathallan Hotel.

I get that you are not crazy about Kick Off. I get that you some of you probably haven't played the game in ages. But this is an Amiga game world cup for crying out loud; are there so many of them out there that you can afford to be that picky? Think about it, how many chances have you had lately to be in a room full of Amigas and retro-enthusiastics? Even if you don't feel like playing (although we'd love it if you did), surely it is worth a visit from some members of the ENGLISH Amiga Board considering that this year's competition is held in ENGLAND? Hell, I'd attend a Myst convention if you all decided to come to Athens.

So what do you say people? Two days of mindless Amiga gaming and a chance to test your skills against the world's best, who's up for it?

Kindly stay on topic and don't talk about other games here. Or knock yourselves out and discuss the Peruvian flora for all I care, at least it will keep the thread on float for more days than in the previous years.

Useful links:

Information topic

Registration page

Past Events
Old 15 September 2011, 18:24   #5
Amiga Forever

I am hopeless on Kick off but brilliant on Senisble soccer

I hope you get more people coming to play the kick off
Old 15 September 2011, 19:51   #6
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

I would if I could It must be an awesome event since I was at the last two italian tournaments and it was coool!
Old 16 September 2011, 03:56   #7
Djay
95th User

sorry if i missed it, but is there an entrance fee and/or a "supporters" fee?

i didnt really play kick off 2, well i dont really play any football games, but i would like to attend to show some support
Old 16 September 2011, 05:08   #8
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Why does the kick off 2 tournament remind me of windows 7?

Have a great time guys, Wish I could come.
Old 16 September 2011, 08:32   #9
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Yes there is a fee, in order for the organizers to cover the tournament room & other expenses. The exact sum will depend on the number of participants but it will be more or less £40 per player.

Quote:
i didnt really play kick off 2, well i dont really play any football games, but i would like to attend to show some support
That's good to hear! The important thing to remember is that not everyone in a world cup is a potential champion. There are plenty of weak players in it, and in fact the tournament format is designed in a way so that during the second day everyone plays in a group of players of more or less his caliber.

Here's a video to get you warmed up. It's from the 2009 WC at the city hall of Voitsberg, Austria:

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by alkis21; 16 September 2011 at 08:40.
Old 17 September 2011, 00:04   #10
Lorfarius

Great idea and I hope someone attempts a Sensi tournament at some stage.
Old 17 September 2011, 14:05   #11
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
From the info page: "Based on 45 players attending, we expect the tournament fee to be £40 per player."

hth
Old 17 September 2011, 18:36   #12
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
From the info page: "Based on 45 players attending, we expect the tournament fee to be £40 per player."

hth
Crikey! £40 to play KO2? I can play that (and Sensi, the better game) for free under WinUAE! And I don't have to travel to some place that might as well be the other side of the world to do it - I can sit on my sofa.

That's a lot of money. In my day even the arcades would cost me a couple of quid for an afternoon's gaming, and that was on a bad day.

D.
Old 17 September 2011, 21:20   #13
alkis21
Zone Friend

This is an obvious provocation so at first I didn't want to reply, but just in case you're being serious... what you are saying can be applied to dozens of things and it sounds equally ridiculous.

"£80 for a concert? I can listen to music at home!"

"£50 for a meal at a restaurant? I can cook it myself!"

"£10 for a movie? I can download one for free!"

"£400 for clothes? I prefer staying in my room all the time anyway so who needs them!"

There is absolutely no comparison between playing Kick Off 2 on WinUAE (not even a real Amiga for crying out loud...) and actually attending an international competition, having people cheer for you and congratulate or comfort you after a result, feeling the thrill of victory and the adrenaline of a close fight, making new friends along the way, getting drunk in the evenings... no comparison at all. And in any case just because it's not your idea of fun I see no reason for you to belittle it.
Old 17 September 2011, 23:24   #14
SteveE

Kick Off 2 was the football game until SWOS came along...and then this got even more fans due to it's simplistic nature.

Two totally different games but given how many fans of Kick Off there were with sales figures always top of the charts, I'm suprised more people don't want to attend - don't worry if you havent played in 25 years as there will be lots of new guys there.
Old 18 September 2011, 00:01   #15
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
This is an obvious provocation so at first I didn't want to reply, but just in case you're being serious... what you are saying can be applied to dozens of things and it sounds equally ridiculous.

"£80 for a concert? I can listen to music at home!"

"£50 for a meal at a restaurant? I can cook it myself!"

"£10 for a movie? I can download one for free!"

"£400 for clothes? I prefer staying in my room all the time anyway so who needs them!"

There is absolutely no comparison between playing Kick Off 2 on WinUAE (not even a real Amiga for crying out loud...) and actually attending an international competition, having people cheer for you and congratulate or comfort you after a result, feeling the thrill of victory and the adrenaline of a close fight, making new friends along the way, getting drunk in the evenings... no comparison at all. And in any case just because it's not your idea of fun I see no reason for you to belittle it.
Old 18 September 2011, 00:34   #16
alkis21
Zone Friend

I'm way ahead of you Steve
Old 18 September 2011, 02:47   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not to mention that Steve's thread was posted 8 days earlier.
Threads merged.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:50   #18
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
And in any case just because it's not your idea of fun I see no reason for you to belittle it.
I wasn't belittling your competition, far from it - we used to run SWOS tournaments at school. I was expressing some doubt that the frankly enormous entrance fee was worth it to play an Amiga game! Even if you get to play on a real Amiga, that's still a hell of a lot of money.

And I'm sure that if I'm expressing doubts that it's worth the extortionate amount of cash, then others might also be put off...

I find many footy games on the Amiga to be really, really good fun - but £40 really is just a stunning amount. Not to mention expenses while there - travel, food, lodge (if this is more than just one day) etc...

D.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:56   #19
lolafg

I wish you all the best for this World Cup Alkis , never gone to one yet but i'd love to...maybe in the future!

Will there be a new KO2 CV done for this World Cup or will you play with the current one ?

The only thing that is ,to my point of view ,missing in KO2 CV is the bicycle kick , it's why i play most of the time with the KO2 Final whistle CV.

Well have good time in this WC , it's really a GREAT EVENT !!
Old 18 September 2011, 12:18   #20
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Threads merged.
There goes my catchy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
I wish you all the best for this World Cup Alkis , never gone to one yet but i'd love to...maybe in the future!

Will there be a new KO2 CV done for this World Cup or will you play with the current one ?
Cheers mate. We always release a new KO2CV version before world cups, with at least a new pitch for the occasion where the billboards are changed to accommodate the host's flag and caption. Not sure whether new features will be added.