English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 01 December 2010, 16:03   #21
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
John Girvin aka Girv on EAB did some work on getting Alien Breed 3D to run using Quake engines on the Amiga and PC.

http://www.weedoorsbanging.com/archi...-breed-3d.html

Last edited by TCD; 01 December 2010 at 16:21. Reason: Fixed 'Birv' to 'Girv' ;)
Old 02 December 2010, 06:33   #22
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Ports of Call Deluxe for the PC
Old 16 December 2010, 20:20   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Zool comeback : http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/12/...ool-to-return/ ?
Old 16 December 2010, 22:21   #24
zgermans

My mobile phone from a few years back came with a remake of Turrican as a standard built-in game, very much to my surprise

Think it was an Siemens M65...

Last edited by zgermans; 16 December 2010 at 23:10.
Old 17 December 2010, 00:49   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Afterburner has had a few remakes, as has Outrun - theres been a few name-lifts as our dear gimbi says -

Dragons Lair (XBox)
This is how the game should of been, instead of the stop motion anim that abused the word "game".

Dungeon's and Dragons: Heros (XBox)
*good multiplayer game - like a grown up version of gauntlet

Gauntlet: Dark Legacey (XBox/PS2)
*A great multiplayer laugh - especially if your friends are loot whores

Bionic Commando (XBox360 / PS3 / PC)
*God I love this game! takes a bit to get the knack, and its tough as nails in commando!
kinda as nin-ty hard as the NES version!

Bards Tale: the quest for coin and cleavage (XBox / PC)
*although its an a front to the Bards Tales we know and love, theres a lot a purile humout that tickles the ribs more often than I like to admit

Micromachines (XBox)
*Heres another great multiplayer racer - at times its certainly more luck than skill - basically we have a grown up version of micro-machines =)

StreetFighter IV (PS3 / XBox360)
This a wonderfull adaptation - using 3D renderd HD visuals yet keeping the 2D speed of play I got to give this some play at R3Play and I fell in love with it =)
Old 17 December 2010, 01:13   #26
Djay
95th User

Not strictly Amiga... but Frontier First Encounters got a remake

http://www.spacesimcentral.com/ffed3...ject-t436.html
Old 21 December 2010, 13:57   #27
cai24
Graphics Astronaut

Stardust and super stardust were remade for playstation 3 as Super Stardust HD

Also, original designers of Super Stardust reteamed to make Dead nation for PSN as well.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:53   #28
laffer
Zone Friend

Head Over Heels by tomcat on here (and some other people for graphics and sound).

Not an Amiga original or anything like that, the Amiga didn't even have a great port of the game... but I tried it out in WInUAE the other day out of curiousity as I've become a bit hooked on the game after trying the remake
Anyway, so even though it's not a good Amiga port (straight from the ST port I suspect), I find the game still is highly playable on lots of fun on the Amiga.

And I've been reading some reviews of the Amiga version as well and it seems to have gotten generally good scores, even very good scores in some mags.

So it may not be an Amiga classic, but it's certainly a classic game put on the Amiga.. so maybe it still counts a bit
Old 22 December 2010, 16:43   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Toki will get a remake on the DS in 2011.
Aw man, you fooled me! When I (re-) read this I was actually getting excited, until I read the linked article I'll fix it:

Toki will get a remake on PSN network, XBox live Arcade and Steam.
Old 22 December 2010, 17:25   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, I see. I blame them for using a pre-occupied abbreviation!
Old 22 December 2010, 17:32   #31
BrooksterMax

Pinball Fantasies is a PSN mini game
Old 22 December 2010, 20:11   #32
s2325
Zone Friend

remake of Blood Money: [ Show youtube player ] (sort of, because it look now like NES game...)
Old 05 January 2011, 19:16   #33
s2325
Zone Friend

Amiga PocoMan for Windows: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 January 2011, 20:47   #34
StarEye
Zone Friend

People need to learn the difference between a remake or a sequel/new game in the series. Super Stardust HD is not a remake of either of the Amiga games. It's a sequel. It's a bloody good sequel as well.

The Alien Breed games are not remakes either, and I have trouble calling them sequels even. There's very little incommon other than the (broken) top-down view, and it's got some kind of aliens that doesn't look like the ones in the Amiga games at all. It lacks the mood and atmosphere of the original games, and it's just way too over-the top for my taste. Too busy, too loud and not a particularly good or fun game to play. It's really not worth getting. They (Team 17) should've just ported the Amiga versions - like Codemasters did with SWOS - with HD graphics and online co-op.
Old 11 January 2011, 17:35   #35
laffer
Zone Friend

I really liked the first new Alien Breed game actually, only one of them I've played but I imagine they're all quite similar.

But as you say, they don't share very much with the classic Alien Breed games.
Old 11 January 2011, 18:59   #36
StarEye
Zone Friend

Have you tried Alien Swarm? It's a free game on Steam, and it's really a much better game than the Alien Breed sequels.
Old 18 January 2011, 11:16   #37
Cauterize

Cannon Fodder 3 announced for PC and Xbox 360

Quote:
GFI announce development of the sequel to a well-known tactical action – Cannon Fodder 3

Several military groups of Europe, Asia and Africa have made a military alliance to establish dictatorship by joint efforts. Your goal is to stop them at any cost… Even with a price of thousands lives of soldiers named “cannon fodder”, who are ready to die everywhere and every time it’s needed. ‘Cause it’s their work.

You have a small army which consists of only “cannon fodder” soldiers, who are ready to rush into fight with the enemy, sparing neither effort nor oneself. The player will have to pass several episodes full of cartoon violence among different locations, and the Earth is not the limit – it’s time to go into open space and show the enemy “who’s daddy”.

You’ll get classic isometric environment in full 3D, weather effects, change of time, destructible environment, physical water – all this and a lot more you’ll find in Cannon Fodder 3.

Cannon Fodder 3 is currently under development for PC and Xbox 360 platforms under Codemasters’ license.

About GFI

GFI, founded in 2003 by a group of experienced game industry professionals, is a leading Russian publisher of interactive software and multimedia products.
Our mission is to provide our partners with a full spectrum of professional publishing services including localization, marketing, online and retail distribution solutions for the Russian, CIS and Baltic territories.
Our goal is to maximize your opportunities by leveraging our experience, retail relationships and market knowledge to give your products the competitive advantage in our territories.

More info about GFI can be found at http://www.gfi.su

About Codemasters

Codemasters is a leading developer and publisher of best-selling interactive entertainment products for a global audience across multiple gaming platforms and channels. Established in 1986, the company’s dominant brands include Colin McRae DiRT, Race Driver GRID, Overlord and Operation Flashpoint; the company recently secured the exclusive worldwide video game rights to FORMULA 1. Codemasters is headquartered in Warwickshire UK, with North American operations based in Universal City, California. The company also maintains operations in Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Benelux and Malaysia.

More info about Codemasters can be found at http://www.codemasters.com
Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...r-3-announced/
Old 19 January 2011, 14:54   #38
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Cannon Fodder 3 for PC and Xbox 360!!!

I'm all excited now after stumbling across this.... I hope it's not just another rumour!

http://spong.com/article/23545/Canno...C-and-Xbox-360

EDIT: Awww crap! just read this:

http://spong.com/article/23551/Codem...dder-3-Project

Excitement over
Old 19 January 2011, 15:06   #39
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I'm all excited now after stumbling across this.... I hope it's not just another rumour!

http://spong.com/article/23545/Canno...C-and-Xbox-360

EDIT: Awww crap! just read this:

http://spong.com/article/23551/Codem...dder-3-Project

Excitement over
From Russia with Love \o/

Availability in the usual places...

Excitement returned
Old 19 January 2011, 15:32   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yesterday a news thread, now one in OT... seems like Cannon Fodder still has its fans Moved all of them here.
Another attempt on cashing in on an old name? I'd say so.

Last edited by TCD; 19 January 2011 at 17:33. Reason: 'in' not 'out'... /embarrassed