English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 December 2022, 21:36   #1
jizmo
Registered Abuser

OpenAI answering Amiga related questions

Post your most correct and hilariously wrong answers here.

Q: Why weren't essential commands like dir included in the Amiga ROM?

The Amiga ROM (Read-Only Memory) is a type of memory that contains the basic instructions and programs needed to start up and operate the Amiga computer. The ROM contains the operating system and other essential programs, but it does not include all the commands and programs that are available on the Amiga. Instead, the ROM is designed to provide the essential functions needed to start up the computer and load additional programs from external sources, such as floppy disks or hard drives. The dir command, which is used to list the files in a directory, is not included in the Amiga ROM because it is not considered an essential startup function. It is typically loaded from an external source when it is needed.

Q: Why are some Amiga units called "chicken lips" models?

Some Amiga computers are referred to as "chicken lips" models because of the design of their keyboard. The keyboard on these models featured a curved lip at the bottom edge, which some people thought resembled the mouth of a chicken. The term "chicken lips" is used primarily as a nickname or informal way of referring to these models, and is not an official term used by the manufacturer. The Amiga computers with the "chicken lips" keyboard design were produced in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and are considered to be classic examples of the Amiga line.

Last edited by jizmo; 12 December 2022 at 21:44.
Old 12 December 2022, 21:43   #2
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Q: Why were all the special chips in Amiga computers named after women?

The special chips in Amiga computers, such as the Agnus, Denise, and Paula chips, were named after women because the designers of the Amiga wanted to give the chips human names that would be easy to remember. According to one of the designers, Jay Miner, the names were chosen because they were "easier to remember than numbers" and because "it's nice to have a woman's name on a chip". There was no particular significance to the names, and they were not intended to convey any specific meaning or message.

Q: How can I make Stunt Car Racer run with a better frame rate on an Amiga?

To make Stunt Car Racer run with a better frame rate on an Amiga, you can try a few different things. First, make sure that your Amiga is set to run in the high-resolution mode that Stunt Car Racer uses. You can do this by using the "ScreenMode" command in the Amiga's command line interface. Second, try disabling any unnecessary programs or tasks that are running in the background. This will free up more of the Amiga's resources for Stunt Car Racer to use. Third, try using a disk accelerator or a fastloader program to improve the speed at which the game loads and runs. These programs can make a big difference in the performance of Stunt Car Racer and other Amiga games.
Old 12 December 2022, 23:00   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Somehow when I think of Fat Agnus, I think of a dude though.
Old 12 December 2022, 23:36   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Old 13 December 2022, 01:39   #5
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Did you assume gender?
Old 13 December 2022, 10:29   #6
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Q: Is Amiga computer still good for working or an everyday use?

It is not practical to use a Commodore Amiga as a modern computer for everyday use, as it is an older technology that is no longer supported. Additionally, the Amiga's hardware and software are not capable of running modern applications and operating systems, so it would not be able to perform many of the tasks that a modern computer is used for. It is possible to use an Amiga for some limited purposes, such as playing old games or running specialized software, but it is not suitable for general use as a modern computer.

Q: Can Amiga run Doom?

Yes, the Commodore Amiga is capable of running Doom. The Amiga's advanced graphics and sound capabilities made it a popular choice for video game developers, and many games from the 1990s, including Doom, were released for the Amiga. However, running Doom on an Amiga would require a copy of the game, as well as the appropriate hardware and software to run it. It is also worth noting that the Amiga version of Doom may not have the same level of performance or features as versions released for more modern computers.
Old 13 December 2022, 10:30   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Did you assume gender?
Of course.
Old 13 December 2022, 11:41   #8
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
Q: Is Amiga computer still good for working or an everyday use?

It is not practical to use a Commodore Amiga as a modern computer for everyday use, as it is an older technology that is no longer supported. Additionally, the Amiga's hardware and software are not capable of running modern applications and operating systems, so it would not be able to perform many of the tasks that a modern computer is used for. It is possible to use an Amiga for some limited purposes, such as playing old games or running specialized software, but it is not suitable for general use as a modern computer.

Oh well, that's me told. Closes terminal sessions, instant messengers, web browser, spreadsheet, word processor, photo editor, Internet radio player, and turns off A4000.

The only thing I don't do on my A4000 is email because not having it means I don't check it when I'm on there (I don't often use messaging software either). Of all the old systems I have, the Amiga is probably the most capable of modern stuff without external support (try using MacOS 9 online today). Not a dig at other systems, just a testament to how great AmiSSL is.
Old 13 December 2022, 11:44   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Dyslexia? It is Ag_nus not An_gus.
Old 13 December 2022, 11:50   #10
jizmo
Registered Abuser

OpenAI is very careful not to take any sides (whether Atari or Amiga is better for example), but I got it to answer this question:

Q: Why did so many Atari ST users leave Atari and started using Amigas instead?

The Atari ST and the Commodore Amiga were two popular home computers that were released in the 1980s. Many users who were initially attracted to the Atari ST's low price and compatibility with the popular IBM PC platform eventually switched to the Amiga due to its superior graphics and sound capabilities. The Amiga's advanced multimedia capabilities made it a popular choice for video game developers and other users who wanted a more powerful and capable computer for creative applications. The Amiga's success ultimately led to the decline of the Atari ST and other competitors in the home computer market.
Old 13 December 2022, 13:32   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Dyslexia? It is Ag_nus not An_gus.
Jeez, what have I done to you that you go straight for Dyslexia instead of picking the most logical choice: typo/sloppy git
Old 13 December 2022, 14:06   #12
haps
Rumpig

Q: Why would jizmo, a registered user at EAB be asking OpenAI inane questions about the Amiga?

Because he is a stooge.
Old 15 December 2022, 14:26   #13
pandy71

Many answers are heavily filtered to avoid any incorrectness from political perspective... Question about Commodore CEO can be interesting, especially if formulated intentionally in not very detailed manner... there can be clash of the many filters...
Old 15 December 2022, 15:46   #14
jotd
This cat is no more

you can ask the A.I. to be ironical / aggressive / provocative. It's also pretty funny.
Old 16 December 2022, 17:46   #15
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Many answers are heavily filtered to avoid any incorrectness from political perspective... Question about Commodore CEO can be interesting, especially if formulated intentionally in not very detailed manner... there can be clash of the many filters...
That's actually a good topic, let's see what the big AI brain says:

Q: What mistakes did the executives of Commodore made that led to the demise of Amiga?

There are several factors that contributed to the decline and eventual demise of the Amiga. Some of the mistakes that were made by the executives of Commodore include:

1) Poor management and financial mismanagement: Commodore was known for its financial instability and poor management, which hindered the development and marketing of the Amiga.

2) Lack of investment in research and development: Commodore did not invest enough in research and development, which resulted in the Amiga falling behind its competitors in terms of technology and features.

3) Insufficient marketing: Commodore did not adequately market the Amiga, which made it difficult for the computer to gain a foothold in the competitive personal computer market.

4) Competition from other personal computers: The Amiga faced intense competition from other personal computers, such as the IBM PC and the Macintosh, which had better marketing and more resources behind them.

5) Delays in releasing new products: Commodore was slow to release new products, which allowed its competitors to gain an advantage in the market.

Overall, the combination of these factors contributed to the decline of the Amiga and the eventual demise of the company.
Old 18 December 2022, 00:20   #16
Toffee

Hopelessly wrong but I still feel impressed though! With modern languages and APIs I've been blown away with the results.

Q: Can you write a 68000 assembler routine to setup the Amiga Blitter to draw a line from position 1 to position 2?

Sure, here's an example of an Amiga Blitter line drawing routine in 68000 assembly language:

; Set up the Blitter registers
move.w #$4008, $dff01c ; Blitter Control register: Enable the Blitter and set line mode
move.w #1, $dff180 ; Blitter A Shift register: No shift
move.w #1, $dff182 ; Blitter B Shift register: No shift
move.w #1, $dff184 ; Blitter C Shift register: No shift
move.w #1, $dff186 ; Blitter D Shift register: No shift
move.w #$ffff, $dff188 ; Blitter Linefiller register: Fill with all 1s
move.w #$ffff, $dff18a ; Blitter Mask register: Enable all channels

; Set up the Blitter source and destination addresses
lea start, a0 ; Point A0 to the start of the line data
move.l a0, $dff190 ; Blitter A Data register: Set source address
lea dest, a1 ; Point A1 to the destination address
move.l a1, $dff194 ; Blitter Destination address register: Set destination address

; Set up the Blitter dimensions
move.w #width, $dff198 ; Blitter Width register: Set width of the line
move.w #height, $dff19a ; Blitter Height register: Set height of the line

; Start the Blitter
move.w #1, $dff01e ; Blitter active: Start the Blitter

; Wait for the Blitter to finish
wait_loop:
btst #15, $dff096 ; Check if the Blitter is busy
beq wait_loop ; If it's busy, wait for it to finish

; Line drawing routine complete
rts

; Line data
start:
dc.w 1, 2 ; Coordinates of the starting and ending points of the line

; Destination address
dest:
dc.w 0, 0 ; Placeholder for the destination address

; Line dimensions
width:
dc.w 2 ; Width of the line (2 pixels)
height:
dc.w 1 ; Height of the line (1 pixel)

This routine sets up the Blitter to draw a horizontal line from position (1,1) to position (2,1), with a width of 2 pixels and a height of 1 pixel. The Blitter will draw the line by copying the data at the source address (specified in the start label) to the destination address (specified in the dest label).

Note that this is just an example, and you may need to adjust the Blitter registers and parameters depending on your specific use case.

Last edited by Toffee; 18 December 2022 at 00:30.
Old 18 December 2022, 00:33   #17
Toffee

Can you write me a story where the Amiga computer wins the computer wars?

It was the early 1980s, and the computer market was dominated by a few major players: IBM, Apple, and Commodore. These companies were locked in a fierce battle for market share, each trying to outdo the others with faster, more powerful machines.

But a new player entered the game: Commodore's Amiga computer. The Amiga was unlike any other computer on the market: it had a custom processor, advanced graphics and sound capabilities, and a sleek, modern design. It was also significantly cheaper than its competitors.

As word of the Amiga spread, more and more people began to take notice. Consumers, businesses, and even governments began to switch to the Amiga, drawn in by its impressive performance and low price point.

As the Amiga's popularity grew, the other computer companies began to take notice. They tried to compete with the Amiga by releasing their own low-cost computers, but they couldn't match the Amiga's combination of power and affordability.

In the end, the Amiga emerged as the clear winner of the computer wars. It became the dominant computer platform, and its influence could be seen in the technology of the future. The Amiga's success proved that a small, innovative company could take on the giants of the industry and emerge victorious.