English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 19 January 2002, 15:03   #1
MethodGit

Micro Machines

I have an original of this game (from an actual disk as well, no crap about "you got it from the web") which is bootable, but always gurus before the actual start of the second race (not the breakfast level after the qualifier in the bath level, but the school one). I noticed the game was mentioned on Codetapper's RNC protection list, so I suspect that the copy protection scheme is making it guru at that one point.

I was wondering what the level of difficulty in editing protection code in Codemasters games is? Is it done with just a hex editor like how you crack Wizball?

It'd be nice to crack this game in a clean way and place it among side the other "clean-crack" Codies games, Capt. Dynamo & Quest Of Agravain.
Old 19 January 2002, 18:24   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I really don't think you understand a thing about cracking or how it works. One does not crack games with a hex editor. You can 'patch' a game, but somebody else had to figure out what values to change beforehand, and I doubt they used a hex editor to do so.

If an executable is modified when being cracked, a modified executable takes it place. Clearly there are differences between the original binary file and the modified binary file. When you change the hex values, you are just making the original binary equal to the cracked one. But the hex edit you perform is not how it was cracked in the first place! One does not read binary data the way one reads ASCII or source code.

My advice for you is to not try to understand cracking until you understand more about programming. I wouldn't expect that you will be able to 'edit protection code' (?!?), or whatever you mean there. It seems you just want to patch originals to be cracked, which is really just pushing buttons. Nor do I understand why you want to do this. Do you have software that nobody has a crack for? Certainly you aren't writing installs for WHD. If you want to modify originals, then you can't be interested in this for CAPS. I suspect every original you have, there also exists a crack for, so it puzzles me what you are trying to do here.
Old 19 January 2002, 19:55   #3
MethodGit

Look, Codetapper kindly bothered to crack Quest Of Agravain and Captain Dynamo for us, so I thought "why not find a way to 'patch' the other Codies game in my possession, Micro Machines?".

This has nothing to do with CAPS.
Old 20 January 2002, 06:22   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I already stated that this can't be for CAPS.

But you must have skimmed over my response. Yes, Codetapper had to crack those two games in order for them to be WHD installable. But there already existed cracks for Agravain and Dynamo both. The reason he needed originals was so that the install would work from originals - NOT so they could be cracked! I daresay that when he did this, he didn't crack them with a hex editor either. So I stand by my original point that I can't fathom why you feel the need to crack or patch your originals.
Old 01 August 2002, 11:20   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Marz, this used to happen to me too so I copied a pirate version from a friend of mine and it works fine. PM me if you want it.
Old 01 August 2002, 11:46   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21
Marz, this used to happen to me too so I copied a pirate version from a friend of mine and it works fine. PM me if you want it.
One problem with that, he’s banned
Old 01 August 2002, 11:58   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Hmm.. I guess not then.
Old 01 August 2002, 19:02   #8
Amiga1992

Bwahaha

Anyway, my original copy of Micro Machines works perfectly. And if you want to play the game to no end, just WHDLoad it and there you go
Old 02 August 2002, 09:10   #9
alkis21
Zone Friend

That's rarely an option for people with no fast RAM, or no hard disk for that matter. We're humans too, you know! Well, at least those with a hard disk, not the others.