English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 August 2009, 21:31   #21
barney

I think my hard drive might be too large for Faaastprep. Another member stated that Faaastprep is too old and outdated for newer/larger hard drives.

Regardless, I started over and used Faaastprep. I didn't see any difference in speed and from initial power up, it always stops at the purple "Workbench Install" screen. The only way it will successfully boot is if I hold down both mouse buttons, enter boot menu, then click "Boot". After than, if I do a warm reboot, it works fine.

Now on initial boot up, if I boot @ 68000 instead of 6830, it will boot right into workbench fine.

It looks to me like somthing needs to be conducted on my partition to allow it to boot in 68030 mode. Is there a particular file I need on my DH0: partition to allow the GVP SCSI card to work flawlessly with my A2630? Thanks.

Barney
Old 22 August 2009, 23:26   #22
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
I think my hard drive might be too large for Faaastprep. Another member stated that Faaastprep is too old and outdated for newer/larger hard drives.

Regardless, I started over and used Faaastprep. I didn't see any difference in speed and from initial power up, it always stops at the purple "Workbench Install" screen. The only way it will successfully boot is if I hold down both mouse buttons, enter boot menu, then click "Boot". After than, if I do a warm reboot, it works fine.

Now on initial boot up, if I boot @ 68000 instead of 6830, it will boot right into workbench fine.

It looks to me like somthing needs to be conducted on my partition to allow it to boot in 68030 mode. Is there a particular file I need on my DH0: partition to allow the GVP SCSI card to work flawlessly with my A2630? Thanks.

Barney
Here's what I did and always do, run Faaastprep, when it's finished and it says mount any boot disks, or something alike, leave Faaastprep in the drive and use that, it at least puts something on the drive. Then you can load up whatever Workbench you like, also check that you make the drive bootable in Faaastprep.
Old 22 August 2009, 23:58   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Barney

the Faastprep will allow devices over 18.1GB! so size is not an issue m8

the GVP is fine and set correctly,. the 030 card is what i holding up the system.

this card NEEDS a ROM update to work properly with your Kickstart ROM 2.04+ not sure but a purple screen starts at that value

not sure where to get the new ROM file, but I am sure someone knows
Old 23 August 2009, 00:33   #24
barney

I just recently bought the most up to date ROM (4.15), so that isn't the issue. I wonder if I have all the jumpers set correctly. Besides the RAM, and autoboot jumpers, there are a ton of other jumpers? Do I need to have them set a particular way?

Also, as far as using FAAASTPrep, it doesn't seem to do anything. I run the "automatic" option and it finds my drive and that is it. It doesn't allow me to add partitions or anything. In fact, after it detected my hard drive, I installed Workbench and it still did not allow me to boot @68030 on ititial boot up. After going into the boot menu and clicking the "boot" button, it boots fine. After this initial power up, softbooting works fine in both 6800 & 68030.

One more question. After using FAAASTPREP and detecting the hard drive, how do I set up partitions without using HDToolbox? Also after using FAAASTPREP, do I need to edit within the HDTOOLBOX icon: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=gvpscsi.device, Thanks.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 01:14   #25
Loedown

Quote:
I just recently bought the most up to date ROM (4.15), so that isn't the issue. I wonder if I have all the jumpers set correctly. Besides the RAM, and autoboot jumpers, there are a ton of other jumpers? Do I need to have them set a particular way?

Also, as far as using FAAASTPrep, it doesn't seem to do anything. I run the "automatic" option and it finds my drive and that is it. It doesn't allow me to add partitions or anything. In fact, after it detected my hard drive, I installed Workbench and it still did not allow me to boot @68030 on ititial boot up. After going into the boot menu and clicking the "boot" button, it boots fine. After this initial power up, softbooting works fine in both 6800 & 68030.

One more question. After using FAAASTPREP and detecting the hard drive, how do I set up partitions without using HDToolbox? Also after using FAAASTPREP, do I need to edit within the HDTOOLBOX icon: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=gvpscsi.device, Thanks.

Barney
Wait until I get home, I'll scan the manual, save you asking all these questions. Currently at work, yes I know, a Sunday, be home in 10 hours, go down the pub, or watch Australia getting flogged by England, I'll scan and send.

Paul
Old 23 August 2009, 02:47   #26
barney

Sounds good. I will be waiting for you to send the file. Thanks.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 12:54   #27
Loedown

Wait 10 minutes and check your email

Paul
Old 23 August 2009, 18:49   #28
barney

Thanks for the manual. I have one simple question that the manual does not mention. Does it matter what ID# my hard drive is? It defaults to 0. I vaguely remember sombody mentioning that it had to be 6. Is this true. Thanks.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 22:06   #29
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@barney

As my friend Zetr0 stated, you do need a ROM update, your GVP SCSI card is fine but the A2630 CPU card needs updated ROMS to work properly with KS2 or greater.

TC
Old 24 August 2009, 00:21   #30
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TC

thanks my friend, I think I must of worded my response earlier poorly =(
Old 24 August 2009, 11:01   #31
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@TC

thanks my friend, I think I must of worded my response earlier poorly =(
No mate, It reads perfectly to me, I think the issue was that it wasn't read properly.

I'm sure I've got those ROM images somewhere, the firmware is the same for the A2620 & the A2630

TC
Old 24 August 2009, 16:31   #32
barney

Actually, I have the newest version ROM for my accelerator. I remember finding one on ebay but after checking inside my system I already realized I had the newest version. My GVP SVSI card also has the newest ROM. I may just use a different SCSI card and Accelerator all together. Thanks.

Barney
Old 24 August 2009, 16:41   #33
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@barney

Pity, because it's a proven & common combination that work very well together indeed...

You have mentioned that your GVP ROM is V4.15. which indeed is the last official release. What Version ROM's do you have on your A2630...?

TC
Old 24 August 2009, 17:48   #34
barney

My accelerator board has I believe Version 7. It really isn't a serious problem. They do work fine together except for cold booting. Entering the boot menu really isn't that big of a deal, but I may still look for another option. There is somthing rather interresting I found about the GVP board. There is a jumper in the center of the board and depending on how you have it, it will double your HD speed. Mine went from 1,100 kb/s to 2,208 kb/s. That was a pleasant surprise.

Barney
Old 24 August 2009, 20:39   #35
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Barney

What revsion A2000 motherboard do you have?
Old 24 August 2009, 23:12   #36
barney

My motherboard is revision 4.3. Could my revision be too old for full compatibility. I hope not. Thanks.

Barney
Old 25 August 2009, 00:21   #37
Loedown

Quote:
My accelerator board has I believe Version 7. It really isn't a serious problem. They do work fine together except for cold booting. Entering the boot menu really isn't that big of a deal, but I may still look for another option. There is somthing rather interresting I found about the GVP board. There is a jumper in the center of the board and depending on how you have it, it will double your HD speed. Mine went from 1,100 kb/s to 2,208 kb/s. That was a pleasant surprise.

Barney
You have the whole manual for reading, I fail to see why these problems persist?
Old 25 August 2009, 01:18   #38
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
My motherboard is revision 4.3. Could my revision be too old for full compatibility. I hope not. Thanks.

Barney
Revision 4.3 is a quite old and buggy mobo. I'll check on Dave Hayne's archives about clashes, if I where you...

At least you'll learn something new, if not the cure for the problem.
Old 25 August 2009, 01:55   #39
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
A2000 history. May have something useful.

At least a good read.

[Major edit]

Found an old GVP text explaining problems on their hardware: http://ftp.back2roots.org/padua/text/GVP.FAQ1

Most important part:
Quote:
******** pre-4.4 A2000 motherboards

Q: I experience occasional read/write errors and crashes on
my GVP Series-II SCSI HC+8 host adapter for the A2000.

A: Jumper J15 on the GVP board should be set for Amiga
motherboard revisions older than 4.4. Without this, you
may encounter random Gurus with extra RAM installed. The
actual motherboard update can be performed at Commodore
service centers; refer to Commodore's technical bulletin
#25 for details.

Last edited by rkauer; 25 August 2009 at 08:25.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:40   #40
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@rkauer

isn't that a DTACK pull up? jumper?

I have an older < version 6 and I need that enabled on the GVP GForce 040 for it to be recognised by the A2000.

@all

For those that have recently downloaded the "GVP Impact Series II User Manual.pdf" from the zone, be advised I have corrected a few OCR errors this morning

more information on corrections here