English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 July 2008, 17:03   #21
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

if you've installed it to hd then you shouldn't need a playdisk, but if you want to play it from hd why not use the whdload version?
Old 19 July 2008, 17:13   #22
dword

Hiya,

Yeah thats a thought, the thing is though Im using a cf flash drive which needs the adf kit driver to load, and Im messing about with things just to figure out if its indeed possible for me to do hard drive installs to a CF flash drive and it seems to be working, if you can confirm if whdload supports flash drives firstly and secondly if it supports flash drives without an extra fee for that functionality? I plan to register for whload when I eventually can afford a hard drive but I will maybe end up doing it sooner if it does support cf flash drives in the amiga?

Thanks all, I am going to reinstall because theres something not write if its asking for a play disk if I installed it to DH0:ULTIMA6 which is a folder on my flash drive and all the files are there and it loads, thats strange?
Old 19 July 2008, 17:22   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dword View Post
Yeah thats a thought, the thing is though Im using a cf flash drive which needs the adf kit driver to load, and Im messing about with things just to figure out if its indeed possible for me to do hard drive installs to a CF flash drive and it seems to be working, if you can confirm if whdload supports flash drives firstly and secondly if it supports flash drives without an extra fee for that functionality? I plan to register for whload when I eventually can afford a hard drive but I will maybe end up doing it sooner if it does support cf flash drives in the amiga?
You could always install Classic Workbench on the CF and use WHDLoad via that: Classic Workbench CF versions
Old 19 July 2008, 18:26   #24
dword

Ahh thank you I wasnt even sure if it was well supported, dont get me wrong I am making things difficult for myself but I am aiming to see if I can make the absolute most off what I have and learn a bit in the process. That whload sounds good and from what I read theres alot of obscure titles that Im after which work best on that. If I can get some basic functionality on my cf drive with whload I will most likely register it.

Update: Trauled the suggested post and I have got a very very! nice looking workbench! , it has so much stuff! However I am unsure what I need to do to access my flash drive in winuae, the flash drive is plugged in Im just unsure how to open it via the instructions? I followed them to the letter and The actual workbench setup np but Im unsure of the next step? Its just once I verify my flash drive is mounted by default I will then do the instructions for a real amiga so just need some guidance as to where my flash drive is amoungst this myriage of features - Im also unsure wherehd toolbox is?

Ok that was the worbench instructions so I went back to the thread suggested and it says to copy system.hdf to the root of the cf drive, will that really boot the amiga? I just somehow dont think that will work or there is an instruction missing but I could be wrong

Last edited by dword; 19 July 2008 at 20:46.
Old 19 July 2008, 20:57   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

Ok that was the worbench instructions so I went back to the thread suggested and it says to copy system.hdf to the root of the cf drive, will that really boot the amiga? I just somehow dont think that will work or there is an instruction missing but I could be wrong
You have to write back the special CF boot disk from ppill to a real Amiga disk. This disk boots your system.hdf in the root of your CF card.
Old 19 July 2008, 21:21   #26
dword

Yeah I clicked to do that after posting , well if this is what you mean........I used the adf software from the adf kit which has a driver for my cf card , well I wrote the real_amiga adf to a floppy disk, rebooted and the install started, the thing is its looking for system.zip so I am going to put the zip file on my cf drive. Its kinda difficult for me because I feel there are other steps needed to prepare the actual cf drive for a real amiga other than copying system.zip because I dont think the new amiga floppy has a driver on it for my cf card i.e no df0: volume? ........it says something about using some tool to make the cf flash drive be DF0: but being new to amiga Im kinda needing exact commands to do that then I should be fine. also whats ppil? ......away to google that .....actually on a quick look I have system.hdf on my root drive but no way on my PC where I downloaded the files is a system.zip file, also my flash drive shows up as toshiba something or other when the adf kit boots it, although Im not sure if thats of relevance
Old 19 July 2008, 21:32   #27
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You need this special boot disk ADF from ppill's CF ClassicWB packages. Download i.e the cf_ClassicWB_FULL.zip, then you find this files inside:

Instructions\
cf_Boot_FULL.zip = the special boot disk
cf_ClassicWB_FULL.zip = system.hdf

ClassicWB.uae
Old 19 July 2008, 21:37   #28
dword

Ahh thanks , I downloaded the lite one Ok downloading that now!
Old 19 July 2008, 21:41   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I doesn't matter, the LITE packages should have the boot disk too.

First you have to mount the system.hdf with WinUAE, to copy the needed WB 3.0/3.1 files, because they are still under copyright. Follow the normal ClassicWB installing instructions for that.

ppill wrote this:
Quote:
Using WinUAE copy the necessary files from the Workbench 3.x to the HDF of your choice (like you would when installing the normal packs -- simply load the ClassicWB config file, add the HDF file in the Hard Drives tab and click Start)

Then you can copy the system.hdf to your CF card root.
Old 19 July 2008, 21:46   #30
dword

theres the link where I got the files from last time , just wandering if thats not the cf specific one, away to check

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm

dam heres the link from the thread

http://www..com/file/12134444...icWB_LITE.html

its not valid for the modded lite one
Old 19 July 2008, 21:48   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

These are the normal ClassicWB packages from Bloodwych. Get the ppill CF versions here:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=306788&postcount=46
Old 19 July 2008, 21:57   #32
dword

Thanks silly me I think I found a zip with those exact to files you mentioned on my hdd however its great you linked them as I will start again just to be sure I do it as described. cheers for the help

Sorry one final thing, I know most of it now but just making sure Im reading 100% of what you said

Quote:
Using WinUAE copy the necessary files from the Workbench 3.x to the HDF of your choice (like you would when installing the normal packs -- simply load the ClassicWB config file, add the HDF file in the Hard Drives tab and click Start)
Then you can copy the system.hdf to your CF card root
so I have the hdf loading fine and well what exactly are the necessary files I need to copy? say I want the lot what would be a command I can do to copy the emulated running hdf workbench to my H: root? (This is the part Im thinking theres more to as initially I just copied and pasted the HDF file which is not the way its whats in the HDF file when running ie the actual workbench files but another problem is I cant see my flash drive in the emulated winuae following the instructions but Im going to keep trying

Just to break it down

Using WinUAE copy the necessary files from the Workbench 3.x

Ok so when I get to the above instruction Ive added a hardfile I downloaded from the provided links into the hard drive tab. The roms set, I click start everything loads, at this point Im guessing I need to copy some files somewhere? I also dont know how to access my flash card in the emulator? it doesnt show but Im going to try some stuff.

I get copy at some pouint the HDF to the flash disk, I do this just with windows copuy and paste what I dont understand is why the winuae emulation is needed prior to installing on a real amiga because there arent specific instructions for copying the amulated hdf file emulated contents to a flash drive? (Im assuming this is the purpose, however my flash card I dont know how to access it in an emulated enviorment - sorry about my dumbness Ive only really used an amiga seriously for a matter of days so my way of looking at it which makes sense logically to me is copy hdf to root drive of flash drive i.e windows copy/paste , next use adf software to put the boot adf to floppy disk and then put the floppy disk and flash card into the amiga and it should boot? To me the winuae is just viewing a premade hard-drive which is emulated with me following the instructions to the exact letter , so its like start it up, view it, close it down? I dont see how thats updating the hdf in anyway and thats what got me scratching my head? so Im asking exactly whats the missing piece here , if its the case I need to mount my flash drive in the emulated hdf and then copy some files could someone explain:

how to mount my flash drive in the emulated HDF
which files have to get copied and how as the guide just says copy the required files? )

Last edited by dword; 19 July 2008 at 22:48.
Old 19 July 2008, 22:39   #33
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

Ok so when I get to the above instruction Ive added a hardfile I downloaded from the provided links into the hard drive tab. The roms set, I click start everything loads, at this point Im guessing I need to copy some files somewhere? I also dont know how to access my flash card in the emulator? it doesnt show but Im going to try some stuff.
There is no need to mount you CF card under Windows in WinUAE.

Just start the "ClassicWB.uae"and add the system.hdf in the WinUAE hard drives tab and press start. Now you should follow the instructions on the screen.

All you need is a copy of a normal and valid WB 3.0 disk image, insert this disk when the CWB installation aks for it. Now the script copy some files to the HDF and it's fully working after a reset.

NOW you can copy the fully working system.hdf to your CF card root. Use Windows for it.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 July 2008 at 22:55.
Old 19 July 2008, 22:58   #34
dword

dow! yeah okay so those instructions I followed and it says correct then loads the workbench at that point it updates the HDF file......right thanks thats what had me stumped I wasnt thinking the HDF was updated

Update: I held myself back there because I was trying to understand what was happening hehe, Im really pleased though as it loaded and I can see my hdd! so it works and is pretty fast as well! Thanks so much all

Last edited by dword; 19 July 2008 at 23:09.
Old 19 July 2008, 23:03   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Update: I held myself back there because I was trying to understand what was happening hehe, Im really pleased though as it loaded and I can see my hdd! so it works and is pretty fast as well! Thanks so much all
No problem. Have fun with your CF WB. You can remove the boot disk once you've started the Workbench, because it's resident after a reset.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 July 2008 at 23:19.
Old 19 July 2008, 23:19   #36
dword

Good summary yeah well I actually dont have a reall HDD just using it as an alternate way to use whdload without a real HDD , if it doesnt work its cool, either way the min I boot the modded floppy adf it loads workbench with LOTS more stuff than standard and my flash drive loads, superb! , Im guessing I will need to use that floppy that was included as an adf to initiate the boot which then hands over to the flash disk but thats cool Just to find whdload now I saw it on another version but cant see it in programs, I am wandering if I need more than just the lite version, Im away to find that out , actually just got whdload working by running whdload command , its saying dos error 205 object not found on loading whload.slave so Im away to see what this software is all about hehe

Last edited by dword; 19 July 2008 at 23:24.
Old 19 July 2008, 23:27   #37
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Im guessing I will need to use that floppy that was included as an adf to initiate the boot which then hands over to the flash disk but thats cool
Yep, that's correct.

Quote:
Just to find whdload now
The problem with WHDLoad: A lot of WHDLoad installed/patched games needs Fastram. You should purchase a 4MB memory extension, then you can play the most WHDLoad games.

Attention!

More than 4MB Fastram causes trouble with the PCMCIA port.

Quote:
I am wandering if I need more than just the lite version, Im away to find that out
Not with an unexpanded Amiga 1200, this steals too much Chipram. The LITE version is good enough.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 July 2008 at 23:33.
Old 19 July 2008, 23:34   #38
dword

Yeah Im badly going to have to upgrade asap , gonna get a hdd and a little ram just to start with . I should be able to run some games though?
Old 19 July 2008, 23:39   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Some older games with 1-2 disks should work. Try i.e. Turrican or Hybris. They should run fine with 2MB Chipram.
Old 20 July 2008, 00:00   #40
dword

kk yeah I was just reading on the forum that many wont work, as I understand it you install the game then run it through whload somehow , what worries me was that dos error, theres like 2 google hits for it and none relate to my situation so I was thinking maybe to give it a miss, I have an original of turrican I believe but trying to find a tutorial that doesnt involve the non classic wb one i.e getting the zip file and installing , well its hard but its maybe because I have been concentrating on that dos error, I figure though if I cant even get whdload to work by typing whdload It may well not work, sorry to ask again but does anyone have any idea why if I do window---->enter command then type whdload it comes up about the fact that a certain screen isnt in the regged version then it trys to load then dos error 205 object not found on loading whload.slave

I really hate having to ask so many questions but there are only 2 google hits which is kinda bad.

Thanks anyways

Ive got the turrican lha file , I maybe think I need to pass the lha to the command which would explain alot here goes nothing

Cant allocate shadowmem for turrican however I now know how to use the program but Im guessing that means not enough memory? If so Im hoping I can run whdload in emulation, actually I know its prob a pain me asking so much but am pleased the amount of stuff Ive picked up today and hopefully it will help others

Last edited by dword; 20 July 2008 at 00:12.