English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 May 2004, 14:17   #1
Wibble

Question I can't get any serial communications within WinUAE working.

There must be something really simple I've missed. My goal is to get a few old comms programs like Term and JR-Comm working in WinUAE, but I just can't get any serial communications going between these progs and my Amiga B2000. Spent hours on the problem.

I have WinUAE 0.8.25 running on Windows XP and there is a Null-Modem cable (with RTS/CTS lines) connected between the PC and the B2000. There is nothing wrong with the cable because I can transfer files between these machines using Microsoft's hyperterminal.

Under "Game and I/O Ports" in WinUAE, Serial: is set to COM1, and 'Shared' + 'RTS/CTS' are enabled. Tried it without 'Shared' and it makes no difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tony.

Old 03 May 2004, 16:16   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it work if you disable RTS/CTS from both sides?
Old 03 May 2004, 23:42   #3
Wibble

Hey! It's working! I have CTS/RTS enabled in the comms program running on the B2000 and also in the WinUAE settings, but *disabled* in the comms program running within the emulator. Sooo.., things fail to work only when handshaking is enabled in both the WinUAE settings and the comms program running in WinUAE. Thank you for the clue, Toni.

Tony.

Last edited by Wibble; 04 May 2004 at 23:21.

Old 04 May 2004, 19:44   #4
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
I'm just wondering, what does the "Shared" option do? And how does WinUAE handle Serial port emulation? D:
Old 04 May 2004, 23:20   #5
Wibble

I don't know how WinUAE emulates any of the Amiga's hardware, but opening the Amiga's serial device driver as 'shared' allows other tasks/processes to simutaneously access the serial port.

Tony.

Old 15 May 2004, 10:34   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Forgot to explain the meaning of serial settings:

RTS/CTS checked: PC serial port hardware handles the RTS/CTS handshaking transparently. Emulated Amiga only sees serial data, no handshakes, RTS/CTS inside the emulation should be disabled. This is the most safe way of transferring serial data.

RTS/CTS unchecked: Handshake lines are passed to emulated Amiga serial port. RTS/CTS must be enabled in Amiga software if RTS/CTS is used.

Shared: WinUAE only keeps the PC serial port open when DTR-line (Data Terminal Ready) is active.

Direct: "Link game"-mode. Uses 115200 bps (keeps latency low) to transfer data between two PCs running WinUAE, also supports Amiga's special 9-bit mode. Most link games only work when using this mode.

This probably should be added to FAQ..