English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 06 August 2018, 20:00   #21
daxb

A nice one is the TAB feature where you can load up to 32? modules simultaneous for quick switching. "man milkytracker" says here: "milkytracker [options] files..." but only the first file is loaded (TAB feature is activated and works manually). Is this a bug? I would thing that each file is loaded in a TAB.

Edit:
I can't mark and copy paste a track with keyboard hotkeys. At least Shift + Cursor keys and Ctrl + [c|v] don't work here. Using mouse and context menu works but it is not good for the workflow.
Old 06 August 2018, 20:08   #22
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
A nice one is the TAB feature where you can load up to 32? modules simultaneous for quick switching. "man milkytracker" says here: "milkytracker [options] files..." but only the first file is loaded (TAB feature is activated and works manually). Is this a bug? I would thing that each file is loaded in a TAB.

Edit:
I can't mark and copy paste a track with keyboard hotkeys. At least Shift + Cursor keys and Ctrl + [c|v] don't work here. Using mouse and context menu works but it is not good for the workflow.
Hmm, it could be a bug. A lot happened between 0.90 and 1.00, like switching from SDL1.2 to SDL2 and a bit of refactoring. If something works in 0.90, it should work on 1.0+, if it doesn't, it has been broken and should be reported here: https://github.com/milkytracker/MilkyTracker/issues

Amiga port specific bugs should be reported here: https://github.com/amigaports/MilkyTracker/issues
Old 06 August 2018, 21:06   #23
daxb

I'm using the armhf raspbian RPi version what is 0.90.86 what is about 5 years old. At the moment I don't know how to upgrade to 1.02. Bug hunting for old versions doesn't make sense, right?
Old 06 August 2018, 21:07   #24
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I'm using the armhf raspbian RPi version what is 0.90.86 what is about 5 years old. At the moment I don't know how to upgrade to 1.02. Bug hunting for old versions doesn't make sense, right?
Yeah, no, that doesn't really make sense. :P Maybe someone just haven't compiled the latest version for RPi yet. I would if I had that setup, but I don't have a Pi. :/
Old 06 August 2018, 21:08   #25
jotd
This cat is no more

I have a raspberry Pi, maybe I could build it for you.
Old 06 August 2018, 21:10   #26
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I have a raspberry Pi, maybe I could build it for you.
It should be pretty easy if you have the build tools installed.

https://github.com/milkytracker/Milk...ter/INSTALL.md
Old 07 August 2018, 00:00   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

Another source of frustration: after having downloaded all the ST-xx disks in .wav format, I realize that samples are completely out of tune one to another.

A C note for a sample can be a G# or whatever. I've checked several samples and none of them were in tune.

As it's irrelevant for drums, it seems completely unpractical to tune instruments together. So giving up my small module project ATM.

(now I realize that I used Octamed mainly with samples + MIDI GM32 which was in-tune, didn't have this problem)
Old 07 August 2018, 14:42   #28
daxb

Hmm... I didn't tried but the manual http://milkytracker.titandemo.org/do...r.html#samples says it supports 8svx/iff samples loading. So you could try to load the original ST-xx samples. If this doesn't work/help then got to "Config" -> "I/O" and check/change the settings. But first I would load a Protracker mod that you know very good and hear if it plays accurate in Milkytracker. The differences can be small to large, depending on settings.
Old 07 August 2018, 21:11   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

Yes, that was I was thinking today. I have used the conversions to .wav, and a long time ago I had absolutely no issues with 8svx STXX samples so the wav conversion must be a little off. I have grabbed the original STXX disks from aminet and will test those.

It's possible that the .wav conversions are only useful for drums (not a big deal if they're out of tune) or just to hear how the sound look like with VLC.

I'm going to test this. Because having used Octamed, protracker, ... I can say that MilkyTracker is way better and very intuitive when you know the former trackers, even after all those years (maybe it's slightly TOO powerful after all ) and I have a cool but doable project in mind.

Aaaand yes, that was it. Using .wav versions is completely unusable, but using 8svx version of the samples works very well and is in tune. Beginning to get the hold of it, looping samples and all. Really good tracker.

Last edited by jotd; 08 August 2018 at 00:19.
Old 08 August 2018, 00:51   #30
daxb

Nice that it works for you. I think it needs some time using Milkytracker to get into and be able to say how good or bad it is. For me it seems the pc keyboard layout makes the most problem if you are used to Amiga keyboard for decades. Often hit the wrong key or want to use a Protracker hotkey.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:30   #31
jotd
This cat is no more

best for notes is: get a 100 euro midi keyboard like the Roland A500 (nice name ) then note entry is a breeze.
Old 08 August 2018, 13:02   #32
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Note entry in Milky ain't that different fro OctaMED or Protracker IMO. It's all the special commands and shortcuts that can be a bit confusing for Amigans, as Milkytracker is mainly made for those who were used to making music with Fasttracker 2 in the 90's.