English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 August 2023, 00:17   #1
Vahacris

HDF vs WHDLoad

Hi guys!

I know what are the advantages of the WHDLoad format over the ADF format and I have been using WHDLoad for years.

Recently, when emulating on PS Vita, it turned out that I need files in HDF format. From what I see HDF's are made based on WHDLoad - they have the same filename and same version number.
Comparing gameplay in HDF and WHDLoad format on PC, I didn't notice any differences, hence the question - from the point of view of purely emulation - in what format should I keep my collection? HDF or WHDLoad? What are the advantages of HDF over WHDLoad? What is the best format for emulation?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 28 August 2023, 08:59   #2
derSammler

HDF is just a hard disk image. It's the same as ADF, just for hard disks instead of floppy disks. A HDF can contain games installed by WHDLoad.

Also, what is the "WHDLoad format" anyway? Whatever you think it is, it can not be compared to an HDF, as these have nothing in common.
Old 28 August 2023, 09:11   #3
giantclam

...not to mention the auto-configuration constructs out there for whdload.lha titles...ie; I use Amiberry and for this is the builtin XML file, fs-uae does same with online db ...
Old 28 August 2023, 13:18   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

HDF of the WHDLoad were built exactly for what you are using it - emulators on consoles.

It is just a HD image containing single WHDLoad installation that can be used for some emulators to organize and make single game accessible from front end. Usually back in the day you had boot ADF or HDF that would start the game in HDF regardless what game was.

I used HDFs to setup couple of more frequesnt games to work from Desktop shortcut.

And what to collect - that question is quite simple - EVERYTHING. WHDLoad, HDFs, SPS, ADFs, LHA,.... everything - preserve everything!
Old 28 August 2023, 22:27   #5
Vahacris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
HDF of the WHDLoad were built exactly for what you are using it - emulators on consoles.

It is just a HD image containing single WHDLoad installation that can be used for some emulators to organize and make single game accessible from front end. Usually back in the day you had boot ADF or HDF that would start the game in HDF regardless what game was.

I used HDFs to setup couple of more frequesnt games to work from Desktop shortcut.

And what to collect - that question is quite simple - EVERYTHING. WHDLoad, HDFs, SPS, ADFs, LHA,.... everything - preserve everything!
thanks for the answer. I've always used whdl because no good emulator had any problems with it - winuae, fs-uae and retroarch runs them good.
the first hardware I came across that doesn't run whdl is the amiga emulator for ps vita and there I used the hdf set from ransom. I thought it was an exception but recently I came across a relatively new hdf set from randomatically for retroarch and I was surprised. who needs hdf set for retroarch if this emulator is great for whdl? that's why I started to wonder if the hdf format has any advantages over whdl.
from your answer I conclude that there are no such advantages and it is better to stick to playing whdl and leave only large-capacity games in hdf (those for which there is no whdl version).
Old 28 August 2023, 22:48   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Sorry, but what are whdl ?

WHLoad is a sort of interpreter that allows you to run with almighty compatibility games that you otherwise could never install on HD,

The HDF are Disk images, which could include both games WHDload but also normal "DOS" games, that is, games that you could install
normally atraverso installer or by hand !
Old 29 August 2023, 03:24   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahacris View Post
thanks for the answer. I've always used whdl because no good emulator had any problems with it - winuae, fs-uae and retroarch runs them good.
the first hardware I came across that doesn't run whdl is the amiga emulator for ps vita and there I used the hdf set from ransom. I thought it was an exception but recently I came across a relatively new hdf set from randomatically for retroarch and I was surprised. who needs hdf set for retroarch if this emulator is great for whdl? that's why I started to wonder if the hdf format has any advantages over whdl.
from your answer I conclude that there are no such advantages and it is better to stick to playing whdl and leave only large-capacity games in hdf (those for which there is no whdl version).

No problem.

HDF or zipped/lha WHDload contains the same data if version on file is the same. What happened, back in time when people started running emulators on consoles, for example xBox, best and easiest way was to use HDF files with ADF loading WHDLoad program and HDF file containing iWHDLoad install for that game. Those files are still there to be used for some strange cases.

FTP site here has most if not all WHDLoad versions of the games.
Old 31 October 2023, 11:08   #8
DocMindwipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
FTP site here has most if not all WHDLoad versions of the games.
Entering the Most Stupid Question of the Week competition with......

Can WHDLoad packed games be extracted and written back to disks to be played 100% as they were origianlly?

I know I'll lose some trainers and possible fixes but I is not care about that

Old 31 October 2023, 11:49   #9
Nor Bert
Norbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMindwipe View Post
Entering the Most Stupid Question of the Week competition with......

Can WHDLoad packed games be extracted and written back to disks to be played 100% as they were origianlly?

I know I'll lose some trainers and possible fixes but I is not care about that
Not.
Old 31 October 2023, 12:08   #10
Seiya

imho, WHDLoad is good for Not AmigaDOS games. HDF is good to install games that are AmigaDOS by hand or by install script.

WHDLoad games usually run from AmigaOS 3 and 68020 procfessor minum so they are faster than original game.
I love emulate original stock A500 and Stock 1200 speed, so i love play from Harddisk games with original speed.
If i need more speed i set 68020 and i have no problems.

NoAmigaDOS games to avoid to load too many disk, WHDLoad is a very good opportunity.
Old 31 October 2023, 14:28   #11
dreadnought

I like HDF sometimes because it's a standalone container. In some case it's easier/faster to just ues this instead of booting up WB and all that jazz. I don't think eg WinUAE can drag and drop and run WHDL archive...can it?

It's different on RPi because Amiberry is built this way.
Old 31 October 2023, 20:34   #12
Seiya

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 November 2023, 06:08   #13
petran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I like HDF sometimes because it's a standalone container. In some case it's easier/faster to just ues this instead of booting up WB and all that jazz. I don't think eg WinUAE can drag and drop and run WHDL archive...can it?

It's different on RPi because Amiberry is built this way.
Puae in Retroarch supports lha on the fly too
Old 25 February 2024, 21:45   #14
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
The Amiga is a computer, not a console.
Old 26 February 2024, 06:08   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesideez View Post
The Amiga is a computer, not a console.
Anubis was commenting about Vahacris emulating on the PS Vita (see first post).
Old 26 February 2024, 06:12   #16
ransom1122

Hdfs can have additional startup sequence commands that can add benefits to loading a game via emulator.

Wheras emulators launching lhas directly is launching them in vanilla relying solely on the config of the emulator..

Emulators don't have that capability to add what I add in some hdfs to make them work..

Also additional files can be added into a hdf.

Try loading any of the battle packs for battle Isle data disks in lha form.. you can't.

Hdf you can by making a startup menu which allows you to select any battle map using custom arguments

Last edited by ransom1122; 26 February 2024 at 06:24.