English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 January 2014, 13:09   #1
jb2815

Amigasoft NZ

Hi, over the years I have had a couple of A500's, an A600HD, an A1200HD, and an A4000 030. I've visited this board every so often to remind me of the good old days, however I've got a question for all of the New Zealand members - and I know there are some of you out there!

Who remembers a company called Amigasoft? They sold copies of commercial games and utilities via post.

It operated in Auckland around the early 90's (or before?) until maybe mid to late 90's. I had a huge folder full of pages with games in alphabetical order with however many disks they were printed next to them.

If I recall, games were $5 per disk for the first 2 disks, and then an extra $3 for each additional disk after that.

Every few months Amigasoft would send out a Catalogue disk to its members. This would have a complete listing of what was available in ppmore I think, and it had a game demo and maybe some other stuff.

Anyway, this was hugely exciting when a bubble bag turned up with an order or catalogue disk.

Does anyone remember this crowd, or, is anyone that ran it on here? What happened to Amigasoft, I guess I stopped using it when Amiga was dying off. On that note, does anyone have any Catalogue disk ADFS? Cheers!

Edit: Not to be confused with Amigasoft.NET

Last edited by jb2815; 16 January 2014 at 13:14.
Old 16 January 2014, 17:10   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

I signed up to Amiga Soft in 95, they were selling off big time in 97 brought 100 random used disks for like $10-$20. They must of made a killing from piracy. I had to use them as I got my modem in 98 then it was telnet bbs's all the way . ONly problem was the bbs's only had the 0-day stuff online and none of the old releases.

There was also Nigels software and Blitz disks in Auckland. Blitz disks was $5 a disk flat rate, Amigasoft was cheaper.
Old 16 January 2014, 19:46   #3
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I signed up to Amiga Soft in 95, they were selling off big time in 97 brought 100 random used disks for like $10-$20. They must of made a killing from piracy. I had to use them as I got my modem in 98 then it was telnet bbs's all the way . ONly problem was the bbs's only had the 0-day stuff online and none of the old releases.

There was also Nigels software and Blitz disks in Auckland. Blitz disks was $5 a disk flat rate, Amigasoft was cheaper.
I remember ordering from Amigasoft. They never fixed or removed their defective disks. I ordered some game twice, over a period of several years, and it was defective both times. Also once the bubble wrap envelope came empty :-( There was 25$ down the drain.

But let's face it, there were almost no original games which I wanted available in the stores here. The only game I was able to buy that I wanted to, was Treasure Island Dizzy.
Old 16 January 2014, 22:52   #4
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

Wow that brings back some memories. I ordered from them a few times in the early nineties. I used to have their catalogues and a few of their game discs but I suspect that they all went when I sold my A4000 back in 2000.

I still have a heap of random Amiga stuff that has been in storage forever so when I have time I will go have a look, most of it is originals in their boxes and CD32 games though and a pile of ROM Kernel and Developer manuals.

Most of the 'other' stuff got flicked off years ago, although there is an A500 somewhere and my original C64 and tape deck somewhere there too.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:20   #5
earok

Good to see fellow kiwis

I'm extremely new to the scene (first time CD32 owner as of a couple of months ago) so I haven't heard of AmigaSoft but I know of a couple of ex-Amiga developers here so I may ask them if they've heard of them.
Old 17 January 2014, 02:38   #6
jb2815

I think it may have been a Glen Eden PO Box. I remember there were a few disks that had read errors and one or two that didn't work on my A600 even with Relokick. We sent them back and they replaced them no problem.
Old 17 January 2014, 04:43   #7
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Good to see fellow kiwis

I'm extremely new to the scene (first time CD32 owner as of a couple of months ago) so I haven't heard of AmigaSoft but I know of a couple of ex-Amiga developers here so I may ask them if they've heard of them.
Just to be clear, AmigaSoft were a piracy outfit. They advertised in the Christchurch Press, and other newspapers. You sent a stamped addressed envelope (or something) and got back a catalogue disk. You ordered from that with cash and received a bubble-wrap enforced envelope back in the mail.

Not sure how asking developers about it would go. A person I knew started up their own version of AmigaSoft, but without the impressive stock list. If I recall correctly they were warned to stop by some outfit.
Old 17 January 2014, 05:22   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

They had a very impressive (at the time) list of warez, and from memory they used Softwood File 2 as the database program. I might have some old stuff on my old A500 GVP HD if it still works!
Old 17 January 2014, 08:25   #9
Ze Emulatron

I have some games that have an Amigasoft label I bought in an bulk amiga disk auction for $1 a few years ago. I don't know if they work, I only kept the disks of AGA games because I thought the surface of the disks looked ok so I could write ADFs over them later on, I chucked all the OCS/ECS games I got from the auction that had Amigasoft labels because the surfaces of the disks looked damaged.

I uploaded an adf of the Amigasoft catalogue disk I have to The Zone (BJCover.zip the disk had a name of BJCover), but the disk I created it from wasn't the greatest, it has read/write error when trying to view the applications list and the Base Jumper Demo starts but stops at a black screen. I don't know why but the Disk/ADF causes a software error and Gurus the Amiga then starts fine so use at own risk.

Images from adf

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 17 January 2014 at 08:38.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:43   #10
jb2815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
I have some games that have an Amigasoft label I bought in an bulk amiga disk auction for $1 a few years ago. I don't know if they work, I only kept the disks of AGA games because I thought the surface of the disks looked ok so I could write ADFs over them later on, I chucked all the OCS/ECS games I got from the auction that had Amigasoft labels because the surfaces of the disks looked damaged.

I uploaded an adf of the Amigasoft catalogue disk I have to The Zone (BJCover.zip the disk had a name of BJCover), but the disk I created it from wasn't the greatest, it has read/write error when trying to view the applications list and the Base Jumper Demo starts but stops at a black screen. I don't know why but the Disk/ADF causes a software error and Gurus the Amiga then starts fine so use at own risk.

Images from adf

You beauty! That's great, thanks for that it brings back a few memories seeing that disk label.

Reading through the disk is good too, I had forgotten that if you spent over $50 you would get a free 1 disk program. Also that utilities were $5 per disk for all disks.

What's funny is that it says 'we can provide a GST receipt for tax purposes'. It must have been a legit pirating business haha, I guess copyright laws were a bit more relaxed then..
Old 17 January 2014, 19:29   #11
copse

Crikey, seeing that disk label brings back some memories. Neuromancer. Pool of Radiance. Gods. Cadaver. etc.
Old 20 January 2014, 09:49   #12
redblade
Zone Friend

That label brings back memories. Thanks for uploading the catalogue I wanted a copy of their menu selector tool.

They must of made a killing, although it must of been boring hearing that X-copy boing all day.

*UGH* The disk uploaded to the zone has the Joshua Virus on it.

Last edited by redblade; 20 January 2014 at 10:39.
Old 20 January 2014, 12:26   #13
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
*UGH* The disk uploaded to the zone has the Joshua Virus on it.
That must be what caused the software error and Guru the Amiga.
Old 20 January 2014, 13:41   #14
Hewitson

There were a number of "businesses" like this in Australia. I don't recall ever buying anything from them as I normally downloaded my warez, but I did occasionally buy them from cash converters. They sold cracked games for a dollar or two per disk.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:37   #15
jb2815

Quote:
That must be what caused the software error and Guru the Amiga.
Hah I wondered why my superfrog had a software failure on its first boot after I looked at that disk... always used to write protect my physical floppy disks too.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:50   #16
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2815 View Post
Hah I wondered why my superfrog had a software failure on its first boot after I looked at that disk... always used to write protect my physical floppy disks too.
I hope it was a copy, not an original disk. It didn't affect any of my disks because they are write protected and my usual machine, my A500 couldn't read the disk anyway so had to use my A2000 when I made the ADF.
Old 22 January 2014, 08:36   #17
jb2815

Quote:
I hope it was a copy, not an original disk. It didn't affect any of my disks because they are write protected and my usual machine, my A500 couldn't read the disk anyway so had to use my A2000 when I made the ADF.
Nah it was only an ADF, I don't have any real Amigas anymore..
Old 01 August 2014, 06:04   #18
XPD
Geek Kiwi

I remember Amigasoft, they advertised in the local paper and I sent away for a list... spent a small fortune with them until I made contact with a Reality member, who supplied the same stuff for $3 a disc. That particular member opened a successful business (legit) which took off "mighty" strong
Old 01 August 2014, 08:27   #19
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPD View Post
I remember Amigasoft, they advertised in the local paper and I sent away for a list... spent a small fortune with them until I made contact with a Reality member, who supplied the same stuff for $3 a disc. That particular member opened a successful business (legit) which took off "mighty" strong
That must be Simon Barton aka Bad Barty/Reality, who ran Microworld in Symonds St, right? I didn't realise he was flogging off pirated games, I just assumed he imported them.

I have some of his imports, I know Vroom has a Reality intro on it. It doesn't appear to be in TOSEC either.
Old 01 August 2014, 22:39   #20
XPD
Geek Kiwi

I dont think it was a well known "service" he was offering, I only found out because a mate sent BB a letter (back in the post days ) and he got a reply with a list of games etc

They were the days....