English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2024, 18:47   #341
Howardphilips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Brick you could host your game on itch.io as I do for my games (also McGeezer & JoeJoe & others). You can give it away for free with optional Paypal donation (I suggest 5 or 10 euro for such a monument). Don't quit your day job, but it pays for pizza and all

Other requests:

- please fix the remaining bugs
- please make the source available on github. It would be too bad if you lost the source. Maybe someone will create an AGA version at some point.
I second all of that, the itch.io part to get some monetary recognition about your work and sharing the source code, if any skilled coder would like to further improve your already great job.
I guess you must feel both happy and exhausted at the same time for delivering this big baby. It's incredible you managed to complete your vision for such a complex game given the Amiga's limits, all the while learning assembly coding but you did it!
Thank you so much and don't forget to thank yourself for what you achieved!
Old 28 January 2024, 19:11   #342
sokolovic

Yep. This version is what we dreamed for a long time, thanks for that @BrickNash.
An itch.io page for it is a great idea, since you could get some thankful money from it and put easily any improvement or update. Its also easier to follow.
As for the source code, it would be great also. I'm pretty sure there would be people willing to help to finish polishing the game by removing the few bugs (my CD32 retroplay joypad doesn't works with it) or make an AGA version (Jotd ? ).
Old 28 January 2024, 19:34   #343
ztronzo

Since you freely allow downloads I added the game to AmigaLive so people can try it in 2-player mode and report any problems with 2p (I already reported a few for you to look into). But I would suggest creating an itch.io page and allow it downloadable with a fixed price or a "pay what you want" option. That way anyone can donate for your work and I will also replace the current version with a DLC version so players will always have to download from your itch.io website.

And again great work! I hope you re-use the engine for future beat-em-up developments!
Old 29 January 2024, 10:15   #344
Brick Nash
Prototron

Hey folks!

I've been offline this weekend just to get away from it all, but thanks for all the positive comments.

I made a few minor fixes (updated adfs can be got from same download link):
  • Player 2 can now join in on the select screen
  • Player 2 now starts with full health and lives on Level 1
  • Player 2 can now only join in when the game is active and not during transitions (like the barrel break)

The graphical corruption when facing left, and crashing when 2P tries to join comes from not having the extra Slow/Fast or Chip memory for the OS libraries to live in. This happens on my real A600 which only has ChipMem and nothing else (so the OS eats up 2-300KB of that ChipMem).

Be sure to set Slow or Fast to 512KB in WinUAE (or just add more ChipMem).

I did mention this in my release post (and the README file), but TBH I should have better error handling in the game which just tells the user there's not enough memory. Still, there it is.

Also, I'm not interested in any sort of financial return. It was just a personal goal to learn how the Amiga worked and to make something for the system I grew up with. I feel like I've achieved that.

As I said, I'll likely come back later in the year and do one more revision build when I have some motivation back, but barring bug fixes, the game is exactly the way I want it, so I'd like to move on.

Cheers!
Old 29 January 2024, 10:36   #345
vulture

@Brick Nash

Thank you for all your work and for the fixes m8! Recharge your batteries and come back when you're feeling ready!
Old 29 January 2024, 11:19   #346
franeti

Final Fight: Enhanced

Thanks for this update! I hope you can find time to improve it with our feedback.

Is it possible to create a whdload version after your updates?

Kind regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 January 2024, 11:54   #347
VincentGR

Great, thank you once again.
Old 29 January 2024, 12:07   #348
Brick Nash
Prototron

BTW, Bosses do take damage. Their energy just has to be worn down to the point where it's visible.

Bosses start with about 2-3x Full Energy amount, so just keep bashing them and it'll show eventually.
Old 29 January 2024, 12:09   #349
PascalDe73
PascalDe73

@Brick Nash
@Torti

Hi,
Many Thanks for Your Update.
I know nothing about writing WHDLoad slave.
But today, I updated the Torti install with the lastest ADF version (Without Disk.bin).
I made some test on my A1200 A1230Turbo+II With 32 MB FastRam (KS HYP 3.1.4) :
The game is really nice but I obtain a glish graphic error on the ring with Sodom : I obtain some bad lines on the floor in the ring.

In the new Readme file I saw KICKSTART V2.05 REV 37.300,

Maybe Torti need to update the Slave ? is a SLave with Workbench 1.3 is correct now with that information ?

About that glish... I don't know if it is a game problem or a slave problem ...

Please Could You have a look ?

Best regards,

Pascal
Attached Files
File Type: txt README.txt (2.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 29 January 2024, 12:11   #350
VincentGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
BTW, Bosses do take damage. Their energy just has to be worn down to the point where it's visible.

Bosses start with about 2-3x Full Energy amount, so just keep bashing them and it'll show eventually.
Indeed, I noticed that yesterday.
Old 29 January 2024, 12:17   #351
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalDe73 View Post
@Brick Nash
@Torti

Hi,
Many Thanks for Your Update.
I know nothing about writing WHDLoad slave.
But today, I updated the Torti install with the lastest ADF version (Without Disk.bin).
I made some test on my A1200 A1230Turbo+II With 32 MB FastRam (KS HYP 3.1.4) :
The game is really nice but I obtain a glish graphic error on the ring with Sodom : I obtain some bad lines on the floor in the ring.

In the new Readme file I saw KICKSTART V2.05 REV 37.300,

Maybe Torti need to update the Slave ? is a SLave with Workbench 1.3 is correct now with that information ?

About that glish... I don't know if it is a game problem or a slave problem ...

Please Could You have a look ?

Best regards,

Pascal
Unfortunately I don't really know anything about WHDLoad. I'm leaving that side of things to the community to do other setups using what's there if they wish.

The game wasn't really designed for anything else other than an un-accelerated Amiga 600, so I'm unsure how it'd react to other setups.
Old 29 January 2024, 12:21   #352
PascalDe73
PascalDe73

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't really know anything about WHDLoad. I'm leaving that side of things to the community to do other setups using what's there if they wish.

The game wasn't really designed for anything else other than an un-accelerated Amiga 600, so I'm unsure how it'd react to other setups.
Hi,

Ok Many thanks for Your answer, I wrote to Torti about It... but maybe JOTD could have a look too to obtain an official slave ?

Best Regards,

Pascal
Old 29 January 2024, 12:21   #353
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:

It is pretty good on the ultra-fast pistorm32 configuration. Actually everything is working perfectly except the timer ... it basically doesn't count down at all, maybe goes down by a second or two til the level is finished. Everything else seems to be good.
Old 29 January 2024, 12:35   #354
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
It is pretty good on the ultra-fast pistorm32 configuration. Actually everything is working perfectly except the timer ... it basically doesn't count down at all, maybe goes down by a second or two til the level is finished. Everything else seems to be good.
That sounds about right actually. I deliberately made it tick down longer because lots of these games have the timer set way too fast, and it's also not something I think is an essential feature. It was left in purely for aesthetics.
Old 29 January 2024, 13:52   #355
Torti-the-Smurf

Thanks for the Update Prototron (i had not yet time to test it)

But i updated the FFE WHDload pack for your all convenience.
https://eab.abime.net/zone/FinalFightEnhancedWHD13.lha

The good thing about this setup is, that its basically "future proofed".

So, if a new version comes out,
you Folks only have to overwrite the older files within the DATA folder ( but leave the folder C & S alone ) .

Greetings Folks... i have to Smurf on .....
Old 29 January 2024, 14:02   #356
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Thanks for the Update Prototron (i had not yet time to test it)

But i updated the FFE WHDload pack for your all convenience.
https://eab.abime.net/zone/FinalFightEnhancedWHD13.lha

The good thing about this setup is, that its basically "future proofed".

So, if a new version comes out,
you Folks only have to overwrite the older files within the DATA folder ( but leave the folder C & S alone ) .

Greetings Folks... i have to Smurf on .....
All thanks should go to you for making the game more accessible and able to run correctly. My sincerest gratitude.

I'll put the link in the YouTube descriptions.
Old 29 January 2024, 14:13   #357
Seiya

whdload don't work because missing s/startup-sequence
Old 29 January 2024, 15:08   #358
DanyPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
whdload don't work because missing s/startup-sequence
It's strange, I downloaded Torti WHDLoad version and Startup-Sequence is there.

Extract the archive directly from Amiga Workbench.
Old 29 January 2024, 17:10   #359
Torti-the-Smurf

@ Prototron.
Thank you for making this classic finally playable on the Amiga.

@ PascalDe
Got the same error when running it native. (without the slave)

Tried other kickstarts..... Same result; But in WinUE there are no Rope glitches.
So i guess, the timing differences in WinUAE vs Real & FPGA shows there ugly head again

That can also happen in custom slaves.
Depending on your own Setup, the Setup that was used to create and test the Slave,
the results can vary.

Some Folks assume the "newest" is automatically "the "best. Not true. (try the latest, of course!)
But sometimes older slaves or a JST version works better on certain setups.
There are so many variants to consider. (Chip & Ram Speed, Cpu ect)

Also, new bugs can be introduced with new slaves.

I always suggest to people: "use the slave that works for you" ; dont blindly update !

anyway... going of topic here

But yes, JODT could fix that glitch, i am pretty sure .

Not me tho. I am too dumb for that

@ Seiya.
The Pack is complete ; just extract it with LHA and off you go ....

It´s actually super easy, barely an inconvenience

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 29 January 2024 at 19:18. Reason: Respond to PascalDe73 - Sorry Pal - I didnt see it the first time
Old 29 January 2024, 19:35   #360
vulture

@Brick Nash

A few gameplay notes if I may, in case you decide to improve them in a future update:

1. It's easy to kill all off screen enemies just by constantly punching. Maybe some AI improvement to circle you around instead of going straight to you.

2. Seems like the player's punch has higher priority than some enemy attacks that it shouldn't have. Andore's running chest, the bald guys running bull, Sodom's running sword attack (maybe others), all can be stopped just by constantly punching their way.
Same with drop kick. it takes higher priority while it shouldn't.

3. In contrast, those very same attacks can virtually not be dodged. Seems like no matter what, you can't get out of their way and they'll hurt you unless you attack at the same time.

4. Hollywood isn't throwing knives and enemies, in general, don't pick up knives from the ground.

5. Axl, although the animation frames seem to be there, won't defend against your attacks.

6. Maybe, just maybe, if there's enough room in RAM for one more frame, that of a falling Hagar attack, you could possibly add that move too. Perhaps by jumping first then pressing attack and down like in the arcade. That's if there's any space left.

Just some suggestions if possible.

Again, brilliant job you've done m8