English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 18 August 2007, 14:18   #1
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Searching for Backbone Key (Platform Game creation software)

Backbone is a program for the Amiga that allows you to create your own platform games. It had heaps of features, and was very flexible. I was really looking forward to registering it after I discovered it years ago, but by the time I emailed the author (Alastair Murray), he had ceased Amiga development and no longer had any way to send me a key or tell me how to unlock the program. And so, I have made (or at least started to make and half-finished) a bunch of crappy platform games over the years, but never had the chance to really finish and release them because the program isn't registered.

Anyway, I've seen that at least a couple of people must have managed to register Backbone because there have been a few games released online that were made in it and don't have the "Please Register" message popping up every few minutes.

I would never normally request a key for a program, but as the author can no longer help out and doesn't care if anyone uses his program or not, if anyone out there has a registered copy, do you think you could help me out?

Cheers
Old 18 August 2007, 16:15   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

If the author still has the AMOS sources on floppy disk or something, I could fix a registered version for everybody and upload the result to the Aminet.
Old 18 August 2007, 22:55   #3
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

That would be great, unfortunately it has been impossible to contact the author for many years.
Old 20 August 2007, 13:42   #4
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Anyway, I've seen that at least a couple of people must have managed to register Backbone because there have been a few games released online that were made in it and don't have the "Please Register" message popping up every few minutes.

I would never normally request a key for a program, but as the author can no longer help out and doesn't care if anyone uses his program or not, if anyone out there has a registered copy, do you think you could help me out?

Cheers
Which version are you using?
V2.08 from Aminet?

Red
Old 20 August 2007, 17:32   #5
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Yeah, I'm using V2.08. I'm not sure if the author ever sent a newer copy to any registered users, but this is the latest copy I've found, and it's from Aminet.
Old 20 August 2007, 18:21   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Rebel-CD32
Is it a case of just de-nagging the Aminet version, or does it need to be properly cracked to unlock features only available to regged users with a key?
Old 22 August 2007, 02:59   #7
Cammy

As far as I know, they key code just unlocks the software so it doesn't display an annoying "Please register bla bla bla..." screen every few minutes that pops up in both the program and the games created with it. So cracking that version would probably work, although I remember reading in his readme that he made it harder for crackers to unlock this one. I'm working on a little platform game in it too.
Old 22 August 2007, 13:43   #8
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
As far as I know, they key code just unlocks the software so it doesn't display an annoying "Please register bla bla bla..." screen every few minutes that pops up in both the program and the games created with it. So cracking that version would probably work, although I remember reading in his readme that he made it harder for crackers to unlock this one. I'm working on a little platform game in it too.
Working on it as we speak, doesn't look overly difficult.

Will post results back here when done.

Title seems to be abandonware, but if anyone has any objections please say so now.

Red
Old 22 August 2007, 16:38   #9
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

A possible DC release in 2007?! Unbelievable!
Old 22 August 2007, 17:13   #10
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

I just found a version 2.10 on my old Amiga hard drive. I'll LHA it and upload it, I think I may have got this version from the author, but it's still not registered.
Old 22 August 2007, 18:08   #11
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

I'm glad I pulled my old SCSI hard drive out to take a look, this version definitely has some useful improvements over v2.08. Sorry I didn't think about it sooner. I've uploaded it to my web space, but I couldn't lha it, so you can choose either a rar or a zip file.

http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Backbonev210.rar
or
http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Backbonev210.zip

And thanks for having a go at this, I've been working on a few games and Backbone is the best program I've found to lay out a game and test it out, although I'd prefer to team up with a coder if the graphic quality of my games was good enough.
Old 22 August 2007, 18:15   #12
viddi

Thanks Rebel-CD32
Old 22 August 2007, 18:22   #13
thor

The 2.10 update is also at Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/Backbone_Upd
Old 22 August 2007, 18:47   #14
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

So it is, I guess that's where I got it from the first time. It's odd that I hadn't installed that since I've started using it again on my recently rebuilt A1200. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Thor.
Old 23 August 2007, 03:46   #15
laser
Banned

here are some cool Amiga'games made by my cousin "Emilio" from Uruguay ....of course were created with Backbone 6-7 years ago

Statoscuro

http://aminet.net/game/shoot/Stato.lha

Charly the merc

http://aminet.net/game/shoot/ctm1a.lha
http://aminet.net/game/shoot/ctm1b.lha
http://aminet.net/game/shoot/ctm1c.lha

Death is on the way

http://aminet.net/game/actio/D1.lha
http://aminet.net/game/actio/D2.lha

bye, Laser

Last edited by laser; 23 August 2007 at 10:26.
Old 23 August 2007, 08:54   #16
Graham Humphrey

Nice find, I'll have to try them later on. It'll be interesting to see what Backbone's capable of
Old 23 August 2007, 10:59   #17
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Nice find, I'll have to try them later on. It'll be interesting to see what Backbone's capable of
well.....personally never tryed Backbone but I remember that Emilio told me that the program have several limitations and bugs...
I think that for platform games Blitz basic is the correct way....also AMOS PRO is a great choice.....but of course are different things

bye
Old 23 August 2007, 11:06   #18
Cammy

Cool, more Backbone games for me to try! You can make games like Mario and like Alien 3. Jumping on heads or headbutting blocks, or climing up ladders, crawling around and shooting things. It has many options!
Old 12 September 2007, 14:45   #19
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Hey Laser, I've been playing Emilio's games and they're definitely the best Backbone games I've played. Really nice and polished, great level design and really nicely paced gameplay. Are you still able to get in contact with him?
Old 13 October 2007, 12:17   #20
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post

Cheers
Hi All,

Since "Backbone" now seems to be well and truly Abandonware, and the original author either can't/won't help with registrations, does anyone have any objections to a crack being uploaded to the Zone?

Red