English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 February 2005, 20:15   #1
Amiga1992

Nipper vs The Kats

http://hol.abime.net/3566

Can anybody give me more info about this game? living in Argentina this disk fell into my hands and I could do nothing but wonder what was the deal with it.

All I could guess is that it was done for the grand opening of the first HMV Level One shop in the UK, and that's all. Did it come in a magazine? was there a contest running around it? is it just that one level?
Old 08 February 2005, 22:19   #2
W.K

Yes it came with a magazine, Amiga Power(as it says on HOL) in 1993. I remember very little about it, it was kinda boring, and me not being a platform fan I probably didn't play it very much. The best platform amiga games ever were Prince of Persia and Titus the Fox btw
Old 08 February 2005, 22:56   #3
Amiga1992

But was it tied to some sort of competition in HMV L1 or something? The game on its own doesn't hold together very well.
Old 09 February 2005, 00:07   #4
Peanutuk

It was an exclusive game given away on the coverdisk of Amiga Power Issue 32. It was part of a compition to advertise 'Level One' which was a HMV in Oxford Street dedicated to selling computer games. The winner had a chance of getting £1,000 worth of stuff from Level One.

There was never a full game released to my knowledge. This isn't a demo version.

Incidently the high scores were saved onto the disk so to find a pure 'CAPS' disk would be something
Old 09 February 2005, 00:32   #5
MethodGit

Was the original disk copy-protected? I was wondering why it appeared on the TOSEC but never on Amiga Coverdisks to go with the other disk.
Old 09 February 2005, 00:42   #6
Amiga1992

I will check my version.
Old 09 February 2005, 18:01   #7
W.K

Was that released with the Xmas version of AP? The one with the Cannon Fodder review?
Old 09 February 2005, 18:35   #8
Peanutuk

That's right. Black cover with the large C.F. screen shot and 'This Is IT!" written on the cover.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:12   #9
Lampit

Does anybody know where I can download this. I was beaten in the final at HMV level one. Basically ten of us played 2 games each, scores were added together, and the top two played head to head in the final. I scored highest in both the games, but was beaten in the final by a kid from Birmingham who was about 13, I was about 20. He scored about 137,000 in the final to my 133,000, which was his highest ever score I scored about 146,000 that morning before I went out. Which I still feel will stand as a world record for all eternity. Am I gutted I lost in the final......yes. Him and his mum walked away with £500 in HMV vouchers, I walked away in deep depression with £25. the £25 was originally £10 but they felt bad so made it up to £25.
Regrets of the day, not taking my own joystick(had to buy one when everyone came armed with theirs) not making a deal with the kid before the final. the cds,tapes and LPs in the game were totally random when you kicked the catz....on reflection it could have gone either way. I would have probably wasted the cash on a CD32 anyway

At least I'll always have the highest score..... although I'd like to have a go at beating it it anyone can point in the direction of a download

Cheers

Lampit

Old 06 November 2005, 11:37   #10
woody57

Well firstly welcome Lampit there are several Cd32 compilation disks around BUT.. while there are notes to HD install it there is no current WHDload version available

So lets HOPE that after reading your heart rending story
That an owner of the game takes pity & helps you out !
Old 18 November 2005, 19:44   #11
Lampit

does anybody have a copy of the floppy or the original that they would let me have for a fair price?

ps looked back at my records my high score was 165,000

Old 21 November 2005, 14:32   #12
IFW

Straight from the author, Jason Page - hope this helps

"I wrote that game...!

It was written for HMV (the one across the road from here!) - when they first started selling games.
Their game "shop" was called Level1 and they required a game which people could play in their store. So, we took the Fire&Ice game and stripped it down to this.
It took about a month to do from start to finish.
The game was then unveiled at the Level1 opening night, where people got to play it. It crashed once (!)..But the bug was fixed for the cover disk release (it was a problem where you could kick cats out of the side of the level, so that they would then be dropping pickups throughout your game code..oops).

I was shit at this game, by the way..And was amazed that people could get such high scores. And, correct - it was not a demo of a full game - it was just a short "game" which people were meant to be allowed to play in the shop.

Oh, and Dexter Fletcher (the crappier presenter of Games Master) was one of the guests on the opening night. But he got chucked out for trying to nick games off the shelves!
Actually, it was *Really* stupid of HMV to hold a party with drink and food at their store! People were hiding unfinished cans and food behind the ST games...hehe..

Oh, and there's also another "secret" Graftgold game which is similar to this one, which I wrote for PowerGen (the electrics company). You had to do pretty much the same thing - with different graphics..It was for their own internal promotion, so never saw the light of day outside of their company and would only have been played by kids on school trips to nuclear power plants or something.. unfortunately.

Cheers
Jason"

my comment, for those interested in every detail: the HMV across the road here is the one close to Oxford Circus - not the one at Bond Street.
Old 21 November 2005, 21:22   #13
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Added to the HOL entry - very interesting! It'd be cool to get hold of that other game, any chance he still has it?
Old 22 November 2005, 12:00   #14
jpage

Hi all
Sorry - i've not got a copy of it either
Unfortunately, i threw all of my 16bit gear away many years ago, which I now totally regret...

Cheers
Jason

Old 22 November 2005, 15:01   #15
IFW

Ok we'll request it on our site, that way it will turn up sooner or later.