English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: Which TEAM 17 games were your favorites?
Alien Breed 37 20.00%
Alien Breed '92 23 12.43%
Alien Breed 2: Horror Continues 25 13.51%
Alien Breed: Tower Assault 33 17.84%
Alien Breed 3D 12 6.49%
Alien Breed 3D 2: Killing Grounds 6 3.24%
All Terrain Racing 18 9.73%
Arcade Pool 21 11.35%
Arcade Snooker 4 2.16%
Assassin 12 6.49%
Assassin: Special Edition 8 4.32%
Body Blows 4 2.16%
Body Blows: Galactic 10 5.41%
Body Blows: Ultimate 5 2.70%
Cardiaxx 1 0.54%
F17 Challenge 5 2.70%
Full Contact 11 5.95%
Kingpin: Arcade Sports Bowling 0 0%
Overdrive 17 9.19%
Project X 41 22.16%
Project X: Special Edition 20 10.81%
Qwak 26 14.05%
Speris Legacy 6 3.24%
Super Stardust 37 20.00%
SuperFrog 78 42.16%
Worms 54 29.19%
Worms: Director's Cuts 50 27.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 October 2004, 21:00   #21
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

SE is a lot easier, it has enemies removed from the levels (like the bloody EVIL missiles on the first level)

It has different title music

The original is 4 disks, SE is only 3 (well the CD version is only 1 )

You can restart from levels 2 or 3 when you die on SE, you can't on the original.

The default ship on SE is the fatter, slowest ship. On the original the default ship is the middle, thinner (not thinnest) ship.

I think that's about it...
Old 11 October 2004, 22:43   #22
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
I voted for: Superfrog, Worms, Project-X SE and Arcade Pool. They are certainly excellent games (along with Super Stardust which I forgot to vote for) but I think overall Team 17 were pretty over-rated. Considering how many games they published not many of them are actually any good in my opinion. Alien Breed was OK, although the sequels were bad, and Assassin was OK but the rest were forgettable. Except for the ones mentioned above, and even then they didn't actually develop Worms and Super Stardust. Indeed I think they are 5 of the best Amiga games, but certainly most of their games promised more than they delivered.
I agree but I wouldn't put any of these games in my top 25. Team 17 promised alot but never delivered. Project X had a big build up but was a big let down by being impossibly hard, it's the Shadow of the Beast of Shooters. After that Team 17 needed to produce playability alogn with technical achievement but it never happened.

Superfrog is average, give me Rainbow Islands anyday. Alien Breed was dull, Worms is just a PD game updated - with worms. I mean come on! Body Blows had a great AP demo version but the game it self suffered from the same lack of soul as every other Team 17 game published.

Apidya is the best Team 17 game and that's because they had no creative involvement whatsoever.

Team 17 are crap.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 11 October 2004 at 22:53.
Old 11 October 2004, 23:21   #23
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
the same lack of soul as every other Team 17 game published.
I totally agree. Sure they have all the technical stuff in place but their games are cold and characterless.
Old 12 October 2004, 10:21   #24
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

I thought I was a Team 17 fan, but after looking at the list of there best games I'll have to rethink.

Man did those games get dull fast, Alien Breed SE held my attention for a while; I voted for Arcade Pool because that didn’t bore me after the first day. Looks like I'm with Peanut and Dast on this one, the games missed the spark that made you never want to turn them off.

With Overdrive the first time I played it half of me couldn’t wait to get beat because I was so getting so bored but I played on hoping that I'd get hooked, it never happened and I never played it again. It was like a cake that’s made purely out of decorations.
Old 12 October 2004, 11:09   #25
JudasEZT

I have exactly the same feeling. Thats why I voted also for ArcadePool.

The other game I liked from Team17 was Assassin, but that game is like if were released without being finished. I like the levels because are very big, but the level-design itsnt very professional. The power-ups are not enough and not visually interesting.

Moreover the graphics are not very good. Not your hero nor the enemies.
Also sounds department seems like unfinished (apart of being the same of AlienBreed) and background sounds are bad and poorly athmospherics.

A pity of game, could have been great.

buff, my english every time worst than before..

Last edited by JudasEZT; 13 October 2004 at 00:32.
Old 12 October 2004, 12:26   #26
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
SE is a lot easier, it has enemies removed from the levels (like the bloody EVIL missiles on the first level)

It has different title music

The original is 4 disks, SE is only 3 (well the CD version is only 1 )

You can restart from levels 2 or 3 when you die on SE, you can't on the original.

The default ship on SE is the fatter, slowest ship. On the original the default ship is the middle, thinner (not thinnest) ship.

I think that's about it...
There's a pretty easy way to beat those missiles.
Just as soon as the wave of aliens right before the missiles are gone head ALL the way to the right of the screen and they can't hit you (they'll never enter the screen).
And at the 2nd end-of-level boss head ALL the way to the upperright corner and stay there and let your sideshots and missiles do the work.
To beat the 3rd end-of-level baddie just go as far as you can down to the lower-left (without touching the rocks) and let the sideshots and missiles do the hard work.
The 4th one there's no trick to beat, but it's pretty easy when you figure the attack pattern out.
The final boss is a bitch unless you have stealth enabled, the way I beat him is "just" to avoid getting hit the entire final level and collect powerups (it's NOT impossible).

Last edited by Retroplay; 12 October 2004 at 19:16.
Old 04 May 2005, 17:27   #27
wanderer
I want an A1000

Qwak, nice. Alien Breed for sheer atmosphere and Superfrog, one of the best platformers ever. . IMHO it was their highest achievement.
Old 04 May 2005, 17:54   #28
IFW

Superfrog
It is actually playable and enjoyable.
Old 05 May 2005, 12:37   #29
Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Worms was originally a game developed by Andy Davidson in Blitz Basic for an Amiga Format programming competition. The game didn't win, but he took it to a show and Team 17 saw it and took him onboard to develop it.

I think Andy's original game was called Total Wormage and under Team 17's wing this evolved into Worms as we know it today.

This is what I remember anyway, and could all be misinformed crap. (But I'm probably right )
just of interest, which game won the compo?
Old 05 May 2005, 14:19   #30
ST Dragon

Alien Breed SE '92! Hands down!
Old 09 June 2005, 15:37   #31
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Worms was originally a game developed by Andy Davidson in Blitz Basic for an Amiga Format programming competition. The game didn't win, but he took it to a show and Team 17 saw it and took him onboard to develop it.

I think Andy's original game was called Total Wormage and under Team 17's wing this evolved into Worms as we know it today.

This is what I remember anyway, and could all be misinformed crap. (But I'm probably right )
It seems that the original game was inspired by a Microsoft CBasic (I think it was) game on the PC where you took turns as gorillas throwing banana bombs at each other in a cityscape. You adjusted the angle and speed and hopefully you hit the other guy. Worms made it a real game though, one that I've spent many an hour on. Worms DC is even better, that's why I voted for it.
Old 09 June 2005, 16:07   #32
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Worms !

Lots of fun !
Old 09 June 2005, 19:01   #33
macce2
Retro maniac

It must be ProjectX, I think. Great shoot'em up
Old 10 June 2005, 15:47   #34
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I recognise how some people can see Team 17 games as "soulless," but I didn't feel that with all their games. In fact, I only felt it with the Alien Breed series, which I found very boring - give me Paradroid anyday. I felt it alittle bit with Project X, which did not keep my attention, because it was too hard and abit lifeless, apart from the pretty graphics.

However, I liked Superfrog, but I haven't played much of it. Same goes with Assassin. I really enjoyed Overdrive.

And, while I initially felt Body Blows Galactic was lifeless, after awhile it grew on me, and I began to really like it. Even though it was nowhere near Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat or IK+, it had a life of its own, once you got into it. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old 10 June 2005, 15:54   #35
kriz

I agree Muzkat, I dont think they are soulless at all!! For me they have some of the games that I always end up playing again and again, year after year

My favourites: Overdrive, Project X, Alien Breed (altough always too hard!!), SuperFrog, Quak and ATR!

The only game i havent played much from is actually Speris legacy...
Old 10 June 2005, 16:58   #36
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

So Kingpin is their worst game? It's the only game that didn't get one single vote!

How many voters we had for this poll? I didn't know EAB had so many active users.
Old 11 June 2005, 11:04   #37
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Kingpin was an atrocity. It made me want to kill puppies.

For me, it's a toss between Worms - The Directors Cut, and SuperFrog. But the entire Alien Breed series, bar AB3DII, was simply phenomenal.
Old 11 June 2005, 13:54   #38
Figi

Seeing so many people naming Project X... we currently have a discussion in the amigapower.com board about the level of difficulty of Project X. Honestly, did anyone here ever make it trough the game without cheating? And if not, what's the point in calling a game "great" that no one will ever finish?
Old 11 June 2005, 13:59   #39
kriz

hehe I never finished it, only made it to the second level...

But the game got very good atmosphere, grafix and sound.. But most of all it is very FUN!!
Old 11 June 2005, 14:13   #40
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

It's taken me the better part of ten years, but I finally finished it without any cheats.