English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2013, 13:42   #1
droopy
Old Hippie user

Indivision MKII tutorial ?

I have the Indivision MK II
I found a nice resolution after some tinkering with it.

BUT I am still flying quite blind using the config program ending up with difficulties and locked screenmodes..

Could all of you people help getting some kind of tutorial for working with the config program ?

What to do in what order to make a new resolustion for your screen ?

Amiga or Indivision setup first or what ?

How to make a backup of your working settings and get it back ?

Things like that might make a tutorial manual in the end ?

Anyone want to help doing such manual/tutorial ?

I mysef had quite some hrs with different monitors becauce of wierd screen modes and lockups and still is fighting in the dark on how to work in a proper way with indivision. And I am sure many people do the same as I
Old 27 August 2013, 17:42   #2
crazyc

+1

Old 18 August 2015, 19:34   #3
TenLeftFingers

+2 - I've spend many hours with this tool trying to get it to display games properly and using the config tool can make it worse as much as better. There is no documentation either.
Old 18 August 2015, 23:15   #4
trixster
Guru Meditating

I might try and do something if I get time but the problem is I could be completely wrong in my understanding of it. It really needs an expert to put something up who can also explain things in laymans terms.
Old 19 August 2015, 09:56   #5
Jope
-

It's not very difficult. In the menu you can find a selection that opens the VGA modes window. These are your output modes. This means what you edit in the VGA modes is what gets sent to the screen.

In the main screen what you see is what gets captured from the Amiga.

First configure your VGA mode so that it is fine with your monitor, then in the main screen, pick what Amiga screen mode you want to edit, select the VGA mode you want to be used with this screen mode and do any final adjustments to what part of the Amiga screen gets grabbed with the values in the main screen.

Most people will be happy by configuring PAL and NTSC.

And despite everyone always going on about perfect centering, in reality there is no perfect centering on the Amiga. The software can select where it draws the picture inside the Amiga's full overscan area. Back in the day if you used a TV, you saw the amount of screen that the TV was adjusted to display. If you had a monitor, you were able to see the full overscan area. The way to go is to configure the Indivision to show the entire possible overscan area, that way you never have to worry about whether the picture is going to fit on the screen or not. Naturally it will not be centered, but this is how the Amiga operates. Everything else is going to be a compromise.
Old 19 August 2015, 11:37   #6
TenLeftFingers

Thanks trixster and Jope. I'd like to make a video myself but as you say trixster, I don't really know how I'm getting the better results when I do get them.

I'll go through it again with Jope's comment in mind and see if that makes it any clearer. So far, the issue I have is that the results can at times be unstable. See here: [ Show youtube player ]

I was using this fine with a reasonably large image, then after a few resets, it popped off the right side of the screen. But anyway, I've found that the 640x480 gives me a good display for most games so I can try again with a new resolution configuration for the games that need more space (Settlers, Alien Breed, Banshee) - which was advice trixster gave on another thread.

Jope, you're right about the fullscreen thing. I think the videos I saw on YouTube helped me draw a false expectation.

Still, the maker of the thing could have spend a day describing it surely.
Old 20 August 2015, 11:10   #7
TenLeftFingers

I've gotten a relatively decent setup now. The 640x480 works very well for many games and after more hours fiddling with the 800x600 setup I've taken care of the remaining titles.

The 800x600 could be much better, but a tweak that moves game A's picture 10mm closer to the screen's left edge may cause it to go right for game B and something different again for game C. I would have expected them to be relative always.

I think this is the main issue I have with the tool - a fix that makes one game . Also, because I'm using floppies and not WHDLoad (not enough memory) I can't avail of the faster testing times.