English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 October 2005, 14:16   #1
DamienD
Banned

A question about sound...

Hello all,

Just a quick question relating to sound emulation in WinUAE.

By default WinUAE sets sound to "Enabled, 100% accurate". This works perfectly for virtually every single one of the 470+ games I've configuited / tested so far.

However there are 2 games (Navy Seals + Defender of the Crown 2) that I've found you need to change the sound settings to be "Enabled" otherwise there are slight problems.

In Navy Seals the sound seems to echo and in DOTC2 the speech after you've lost a raid was very slow (almost demonic). Changing to just "Enabled" fixes both of these...

I couldn't really notice any difference in quality between "Enabled, 100% accurate" and "Enabled".

Should I change my default to be just "Enabled" in case other games suffer from the same effect as Navy Seals + Defender of the Crown 2, or should I just do this on a case by case basis?

What do most people use as their default for sound emulation?

Old 25 October 2005, 14:50   #2
keropi

I use paula...
(I know this does not help, I just had to write it!)
Old 25 October 2005, 15:23   #3
DamienD
Banned

Hello keropi,

Paula's a chip right? How do you enable this?
Old 25 October 2005, 15:27   #4
keropi

lol, paula is the actual hardware that amiga's have to produce sound... I still use an A1200, the actual machine, not emulation... sorry to have confused you
Old 25 October 2005, 15:27   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

back on-topic please..
Old 25 October 2005, 15:54   #6
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I haven't noticed any of these type sound problems. I will try navy seals and tell you what happen. The other games you mention works perfectly.
Old 25 October 2005, 16:41   #7
DamienD
Banned

Cheers guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
lol, paula is the actual hardware that amiga's have to produce sound... I still use an A1200, the actual machine, not emulation... sorry to have confused you
Thought as much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
I haven't noticed any of these type sound problems. I will try navy seals and tell you what happen. The other games you mention works perfectly.
With DOTC2 CD32, I used a standard A1200 config but with floppy drives disabled (see attached). I did changed the RAM to 32MB fast RAM as without this I get graphics errors while jousting...
Attached Files
File Type: uae AMIGA CD32.uae (10.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 25 October 2005, 18:04   #8
DamienD
Banned

Ooops, I should add that with Navy Seals I used a the A500 quickstart config and a few other different configs (mostly changing RAM settings).

I also tried a cracked .adf copy + the .ipf that I managed to find. Same results everytime (unless of course I switched to "Enabled")

Last edited by DamienD; 25 October 2005 at 18:27.
Old 26 October 2005, 11:14   #9
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, tried again last night using WinUAE v1.1.1 and the same thing happened for both games.

Very strange, doesn't look like anybody else is experiencing this. Maybe it's just the hardware in my IBM ThinkPad T30... Funny how it's only these 2 games though.

With Navy Seals it only happens once playing the game and if you shoot or when people walk around you will hear it echo or delay. Tonight when I get home I will take a quick video + sound so that you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 27 October 2005, 10:48   #10
DamienD
Banned

Hello guys,

Last night I tired a few different things with DOTC2 (ISO)...

The funny thing is that I set sound to "Enabled" and all the times I tried, this didn't work (although it did before I originaly started this thread)...

Anyway, tried all sorts of RAM configs, CD quickstart etc...

I even have 3 different ISO images of this game now. All of them have the "after loosing raid" sound issue...

I've also tried:

* Installing Daemon Tools and mounted the ISOs.
* Using my old Toshiba Satellite 4600 (instead of my IBM ThinkPad T30).
* WinUAE v1.0.0, v1.1.0, and v1.1.1.

Maybe it's a problem with the ISOs (all the audio tracks play fine though)?

I don't know if anybody else has this game (full CD32 ISO) and could test to see if it happens to them?

Just in case anybody's interested, here's a brief video / sound clip I took of the issue...

Last edited by DamienD; 07 June 2006 at 23:43.
Old 27 October 2005, 10:49   #11
DamienD
Banned

As for Navy Seals, the problem still exists when playing.

Tried to save a video / sound clip but couldn't get it to replicate in the video.

What would this mean?
Old 27 October 2005, 11:45   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
As for Navy Seals, the problem still exists when playing.

Tried to save a video / sound clip but couldn't get it to replicate in the video.

What would this mean?
Too high CPU usage spike causing the sound problem? Check the CPU%-meter when the problem happens.
Old 27 October 2005, 12:10   #13
DamienD
Banned

Hello Toni,

Many thanks for the suggestion, I'll try with Navy Seals tonight

--------------------

Ok, home now and I've done some testing...

You are correct Toni, the CPU usage was jumping between 120% and 160%... [see attached image]

I was using the Quickstart "Amiga 500 / Amiga 2000 - KS 1.3, OCS Angus, 0.5M Chip + 0.5M Slow (most common)".

I also tried switching off the "Cycle exact CPU and Blitter" with the above Quickstart config. [see attached config]

Last of all, I tried setting "Fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing".

CPU usage was still high and of course the problem was still occurring...

Hmmm, I believe my IBM ThinkPad T30 is sufficient to handle virtually all games emulated using WinUAE (even Alien Breed 3D 2 - The Killing Grounds at a good speed). This is strange...

How can I get the CPU usage down? Is it just a matter of playing around with different chipset / RAM configurations?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navy Seals.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	9604  
Attached Files
File Type: uae Navy Seals.uae (10.0 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by DamienD; 27 October 2005 at 20:18.
Old 29 October 2005, 03:57   #14
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Have tried with al my well used configs and got the same result. At this moment i don't know really what the problem could be, as with every game i have tried with winuae it has worked well, but on this one, the sound fail.
I think that could be more of a bad dump problem. I haven't acces to a .ipf image so i cannot test it, but as you said on your PM, it fails as well.
Maybe Toni or another winuae hardcore user like Andreas should help here.
Still trying to get solution.
Old 31 October 2005, 01:41   #15
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for testing. I've tried with many different .adf versions + the .ipf, quickstart configs and many other various RAM / kickstart configs... Still the same extremely high CPU usage and as a result the sound problems.

Changing the sound to "Enabled" fixes so that's cool. Just wondering if there is another way or if I'm doing something wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
Have tried with al my well used configs and got the same result. At this moment i don't know really what the problem could be, as with every game i have tried with winuae it has worked well, but on this one, the sound fail.
I think that could be more of a bad dump problem. I haven't acces to a .ipf image so i cannot test it, but as you said on your PM, it fails as well.
Maybe Toni or another winuae hardcore user like Andreas should help here.
Still trying to get solution.
Old 02 November 2005, 21:22   #16
DamienD
Banned

Hello all,

Was sitting at home tonight configuring some more games for WinUAE when I thought to myself:

Midnight Resistance suffers from "slow downs/noise problems/very high CPU" after beating the first tank and entering the weapons room, what happens if I set the sound to "Enabled" instead of "Enabled 100% accurate"?

Loaded up the game, changed the sound setting to "Enabled" and played until the second stage. Success, no more problems...

As I don't know how to reduce this very high CPU any other way, I have set the sound to "Enabled" now for Navy Seals and Midnight Resistance and they both work trouble free.

Interesting hey?
Old 04 November 2005, 00:17   #17
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Hello all,

Was sitting at home tonight configuring some more games for WinUAE when I thought to myself:

Midnight Resistance suffers from "slow downs/noise problems/very high CPU" after beating the first tank and entering the weapons room, what happens if I set the sound to "Enabled" instead of "Enabled 100% accurate"?

Loaded up the game, changed the sound setting to "Enabled" and played until the second stage. Success, no more problems...

As I don't know how to reduce this very high CPU any other way, I have set the sound to "Enabled" now for Navy Seals and Midnight Resistance and they both work trouble free.

Interesting hey?
Very interesting, What is the difference between enabled & 100% accurate cause it does hammer the CPU but only on some games

As mentioned in the other post Midnight Resistance (on my system) with 100% accurate enabled runs at 30-low 40% until killing the boss where it hits 70% then 100% when in the weapons room and drops back to 30-low 40's after it finishes loading level 2. With sound setting as enabled it stays at 30-low 40% through the whole of level 1.

Just tried Navy Seals too - Booted up game with 100% accurate ticked - and a few seconds into level 1 it rises to 130%+ and frame rate and sound slow down - Go to options and change sound option to enabled and CPU goes down to 30%

Over too Toni

Old 04 November 2005, 20:15   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think this is yet another game that silences sound channel(s) by playing very short (1 word) zero sample with very high playback rate instead of just disabling the channel. This can cause very high cpu usage if exact sound emulation is enabled.
Old 10 March 2011, 18:37   #19
Dagon

I have WinUae 2.3.0 which doesn't have the option to set sound to 'Enabled' like you describe in this old post. The result is that Midnight Resistance suffers from the problem described above. Is there anything I can do to bypass this?