English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 March 2015, 08:13   #1
Zerotech

Just got an Amiga 500 for review, sort of...

Youtube: [ Show youtube player ]

Well I did get a hold of an amiga 500 but the top case had been damaged during transit and the floppy plastic clip was also broken so i super glued it.

I have since ordered another top case on ebay, I might also need to get a new floppy as well as the problem is it wont insert when powered off.

The floppy drive is a Chicon drive.

I will need to get a hold of an UK/AU power adapter for it to test, from disassembling it it was a bit dusty but nothing seems to be physically damaged so I think it will work.
Old 17 March 2015, 12:15   #2
Zerotech

I am a little upset over the broken top case in particular more than the disk drive clip being broken.

I have since ordered one and requested to get the original amiga 500 logo. It would be silly to get an amiga 500 plus case onto a a500 computer.

My review will have to take a while until I get a hold of the case and an uk/eu to aus power adapter.
Old 17 March 2015, 12:48   #3
Hewitson

I wouldn't bother with an adapter, just cut the old plug off and put a new one on.
Old 19 March 2015, 08:24   #4
Zerotech

Update: [ Show youtube player ]

I recently got myself the power adapters, Good thing the amiga works.

2 issues I am having, the sound screeching when turned on, this is probably due to RF interference signals affecting the rf shield and the floppy drive is jammed I cannot insert floppy disks.

What I will need to do are to get 2 parts and hopefully soon I will have a working amiga 500 for review.
Old 19 March 2015, 10:35   #5
roy bates

there is colour composite out on the 520 mate...
you have no sound going into the 520,no cable connected.

the rf shield is already there,so im not sure what you mean in the video.

as for the floppy,try to take it apart and grease it,there is two switch's and they might need switch cleaner on them.
and its probably full of crap and dust and so needs cleaning.

Last edited by roy bates; 19 March 2015 at 10:44.
Old 19 March 2015, 12:16   #6
Zerotech

Ok I have switched the cables to colour composite AV and it seems the sound issue screechings are eliminated, as for the floppy I guess that doesn't hurt to tear it apart and see if I can attempt to fix it up.

The rf shield is on so that I can get rf signal video without it you cant get anything in the video.

I'm not concerned about the sound at this point, however I am getting the audio cable soon so don't worry about it right now, what I am more interested is to power on and see if the unit works.
Old 20 March 2015, 01:56   #7
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotech View Post
The rf shield is on so that I can get rf signal video without it you cant get anything in the video.

Huh ?
Most of us throw the shielding away ASAP
Old 26 March 2015, 15:13   #8
Obliterator

I ditched my shielding it bit me when I wasn't paying attention while removing it to fit my Indivision ECS there was blood drawn so it went into the bin the shielding not the Amiga :P
Old 26 March 2015, 19:31   #9
IanP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotech View Post
Ok I have switched the cables to colour composite AV and it seems the sound issue screechings are eliminated, as for the floppy I guess that doesn't hurt to tear it apart and see if I can attempt to fix it up.

I'm not concerned about the sound at this point, however I am getting the audio cable soon so don't worry about it right now, what I am more interested is to power on and see if the unit works.
If your TV has an RGB SCART input an Amiga to RGB SCART lead will give the best picture quality and can include stereo audio. When you super glued the floppy did you get any glue around the eject button as that could prevent you inserting a disk if the eject button isn't free to move out.