English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 April 2018, 03:16   #21
thebajaguy

A note on the CIA test - I've had (on NTSC-clocked system) the results return FAIL on one of the timers depending on the state of the J300 jumper. I've had results on good chips report bad when to the left pins, and correct themselves when to the right pins (this is supposedly a Tick source matching what is provided in an A500).
Old 16 April 2018, 08:32   #22
Chucky

on US machines it will give a false signal yes. due to 60Hz.. while you put it to the other location TICK is from Vblank and it will be 50Hz. so yes "as designed" so this is something I need to handle
Old 16 April 2018, 13:02   #23
Sinphaltimus

Chucky, Why in the world are you not displaying this information in big bold words? "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NTSC AMIGA - working on it" so people don't waste their time and energy with something that doesn't work? I had to mod the chip for my Rev5 motherboard and open a ticket on github, all over an issue you already knew about but kept secret. Or at least do not warn anyone about. Come on, is it really that hard to take NTSC amiga owners into some form of consideration? How the hell do think this would fly if someone buys the chip for $60 on eBay? From the one seller you support because they send you money. I'd be livid if i purchased the chip from them. You really need to warn everyone that these do not work on NTSC Amiga and [people should wait until a compatible version is released.

EDIT: So EVERYTHING I did was a complete waste of time, because now I have a modded chip I can't reprogram without UN-Modding. See what I'm getting at over here? And it's something YOU ALREADY knew about.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 16 April 2018 at 13:04. Reason: See EDIT line above.
Old 16 April 2018, 13:23   #24
Chucky

that.. I actually will not even care about commenting....
Old 16 April 2018, 13:25   #25
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
that.. I actually will not even care about commenting....

Indeed. Wow.

These Open source projects come with no guarantee of any kind. Deal with it.
Old 16 April 2018, 13:34   #26
Chucky

and I should be responisble if someone sells it for$60 on ebay? DAFUQ?

well I have however in next version added a text about that.... actually..

however.. nothing to see here. I added a NTSC function for next version.. but now I sure do need to put more energy in that damn autoconfigbug. (and better memorydetection)
Old 16 April 2018, 14:37   #27
plasmab
Banned

Quote:

however.. nothing to see here. I added a NTSC function for next version.. but now I sure do need to put more energy in that damn autoconfigbug. (and better memorydetection)

Chin up Chucky. I still appreciate you
Old 16 April 2018, 21:08   #28
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:

Wow! People are selling DiagROM on eBay??? I've programmed EPROMs for a few EAB members for free (not KS). I have the hardware.

27C400's are cheap: 1£/€/$
Old 16 April 2018, 22:22   #29
Agilent

[QUOTE=Chucky;1235044]and I should be responisble if someone sells it for$60 on ebay? DAFUQ?

QUOTE]

First, its NOT ok for people to earn money on your hard work. Please, be sure to encrypt the txt in some way, so it can not be changed or deleted easily.
Old 16 April 2018, 22:39   #30
plasmab
Banned

[QUOTE=Agilent;1235154]
Quote:

QUOTE]

First, its NOT ok for people to earn money on your hard work. Please, be sure to encrypt the txt in some way, so it can not be changed or deleted easily.

Erm. It’s open source so no. People can make money under the license it’s published under. Similarly with my hardware projects. What’s not acceptable is people screaming about support or quality.
Old 17 April 2018, 20:33   #31
Sinphaltimus

I honestly wasn't trying to insult or offend anyone with my response. I was attempting to be helpful. Having the known NTSC issues posted someplace obvious would have been helpful.

I think My suggestion would only help improve bug reporting and being helpful. Otherwise it was a waste of time to even try. Chucky did publically ask for info and status of the latest version working correct? I responded to that and there's a track record of me trying to be helpful. I did not pay for the DiagRom and being a v1.0 to me implied it was ready for extensive testing on any machines available - perhaps if it was called diagRom v1.0 for PAL systems? Then I would have waited longer. But endorsing GGLabs on the Diagrom website when it won't work for NTSC Amigas is a bad idea without stating such. For folks who might decide to buy, you know, to help support the project in their way. My way is to help test and report results.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents. If you want, I'll be willing to test further when there is an NTSC fixed version available. I'm running an A500 Rev5 without anyway to properly handle PAL video signals. I'm certainly not looking to get into an arguing match so I won't respond to the ruffled feathers I caused. I'll just wait for proper version and maybe word my feedback in such a way that doesn't offend. If possible.
Old 17 April 2018, 20:57   #32
Chucky

there are several ways to report an issue... that way you did latest here was on the list "how not to do it" and simply.. it for sure did me rethink prioritize the CIA timingcheck after NTSC. as.. I also need to get an NTSC machine to test on as.. this is a project done by me more or less alone. I cannot own every possible combination of amigas out there. and as most macines IS PAL then this is my biggest focus. and as I am doing this completly on my spare time I need to focus on the majority.

and for the latest version it was about the memorydetection I needed most help. the new experimental one. as memoryhandling on the amiga is far from "simple" with gazillions different solutions (dirty and clean)

but nagging like a butthurt person of how bad it is as you simply live in a place where they are using NTSC where most places uses PAL.. sorry you have to wait. I will add a text about false numbers in NTSC. but for the moment. I now will put my time in getting the autoconfigbug fixed and the memorydetection better. and then add a better memorytester that also finds addresserrors.. then I might check on a new CIA tester.
Old 17 April 2018, 21:03   #33
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
there are several ways to report an issue... that way you did latest here was on the list "how not to do it" and simply.. it for sure did me rethink prioritize the CIA timingcheck after NTSC. as.. I also need to get an NTSC machine to test on as.. this is a project done by me more or less alone. I cannot own every possible combination of amigas out there. and as most macines IS PAL then this is my biggest focus. and as I am doing this completly on my spare time I need to focus on the majority.

and for the latest version it was about the memorydetection I needed most help. the new experimental one. as memoryhandling on the amiga is far from "simple" with gazillions different solutions (dirty and clean)

but nagging like a butthurt person of how bad it is as you simply live in a place where they are using NTSC where most places uses PAL.. sorry you have to wait. I will add a text about false numbers in NTSC. but for the moment. I now will put my time in getting the autoconfigbug fixed and the memorydetection better. and then add a better memorytester that also finds addresserrors.. then I might check on a new CIA tester.
Oh but please some Gayle and IDE detection... i already sent you the code. :P
Old 26 April 2018, 20:36   #34
supaduper

Finally got an eprom adapter for my TL866 and burnt the Diagrom to a 512k 27c400 for the A600 I had lying around and bingo ..said Paula was bad

Even learned how to swapbyte lol because the program with the TL866a will not do this.

So found a willem prog that will do it, then loaded and saved the output file after swapping and it works perfick on the TL866

Great work Chucky ..donation incoming
Old 26 April 2018, 20:38   #35
supaduper

Just to add if you are burning Diagrom a 27c800 using the TL866 and the 42pin adapter like I have, then after flashing you will have to bend pin 31 up so its not connected for it to work on the CD32

Last edited by supaduper; 16 May 2018 at 13:39.
Old 26 May 2018, 00:35   #36
tnt23

Will DiagROM work with 060?
Old 26 May 2018, 01:08   #37
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Finally got an eprom adapter for my TL866 and burnt the Diagrom to a 512k 27c400 for the A600 I had lying around and bingo ..said Paula was bad

Even learned how to swapbyte lol because the program with the TL866a will not do this.

So found a willem prog that will do it, then loaded and saved the output file after swapping and it works perfick on the TL866

Great work Chucky ..donation incoming
Might have to send you some things to burn on that Willem sometime lol, how much you pay for that? meaning to get one myself.
Old 26 May 2018, 02:05   #38
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt23 View Post
Will DiagROM work with 060?
YES! it also can tell what revision of 060 you have
Old 26 May 2018, 09:11   #39
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
Might have to send you some things to burn on that Willem sometime lol, how much you pay for that? meaning to get one myself.
Yo Chris !

You cant use the willem prog with TL866 programmer , I only use it to load the file and output it as byteswapped, then you have to use the supplied software with the TL866 to flash the eprom.

You also have to use a adapter to flash the 40/42 pin 27Cxxx Eproms and only then in blocks of 512k.

thats why the original CD32 extended custom rom is not doable with it ,I think its in chunks of 256k and is interleaved( whatever that means lol).
So I suppose if you can do a CD32 extended custom rom using some software and manipulate it to an 1mb eprom file then interleave and split to two 512k .bins so the TL866 with adapter can Flash it in two banks hi/Lo

There is a thread on it here bud
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91151

**Edit
Just checked and you have already seen that thread Chris, but leave the link for others to check out

Last edited by supaduper; 26 May 2018 at 09:25.
Old 29 May 2018, 23:14   #40
CRP

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some hints on how to use the serial out provided by diagrom.
I do not have an rs232 port on my PC, but I do have one of those PL2303 based USB2TTL adapters which has 4 pins: VCC, GND, RX, TX. Can I just connect these to the Amiga's rs232 port and see the output in a terminal program? If yes, what connection parameters should I use?

Thanks