English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 February 2016, 23:08   #81
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
Is there any chance of a Vampire CD32 comming later down the line?
The CD32 is probably the least suitable Amiga for a Vampire as I see it. They don't even have a keyboard normally.. Perhaps the CD32 would be in line after the 600, 500/CDTV, 1200, 4000, 3000, 2000 and 1000 (if they cannot use the 500 version).
Old 10 February 2016, 23:46   #82
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The CD32 is probably the least suitable Amiga for a Vampire as I see it. They don't even have a keyboard normally.. Perhaps the CD32 would be in line after the 600, 500/CDTV, 1200, 4000, 3000, 2000 and 1000 (if they cannot use the 500 version).
The CD32 has a PS2 style keyboard connector which accepts a 4000 keyboard (other big box Amiga keyboards work with standard PS2 to AT adapter). The keyboard is plug and play with no need to install drivers. I wouldn't say the CD32 is any less suitable as all models have their advantages and disadvantages. They are all less suitable for modern computing than a new standalone Amiga motherboard. It probably does make sense to make the 500, 1000, 2000, CDTV version next as it may be possible to make the accelerator for all 68000 socketed Amigas which are plentiful.
Old 11 February 2016, 00:34   #83
kipper2k

If i get my way there will be a CD32 vampire, The adapter board i made plugs into the expansion slot of the CD32 and has a dual female expansion slot. This will allow a simple edgeboard internal expansion board to be placed inside the CD32, it also has RGB and a PS/2 keyboard plugin so some of the work is already done
Old 11 February 2016, 00:48   #84
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
If i get my way there will be a CD32 vampire, The adapter board i made plugs into the expansion slot of the CD32 and has a dual female expansion slot. This will allow a simple edgeboard internal expansion board to be placed inside the CD32, it also has RGB and a PS/2 keyboard plugin so some of the work is already done
But mostly because of Ian's 2027 launch date target for Project Hermes? 😆😇
Old 11 February 2016, 00:49   #85
SkulleateR

I would go for a CDTV Version
Old 11 February 2016, 01:04   #86
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
But mostly because of Ian's 2027 launch date target for Project Hermes? 😆😇
Yeah this is my fear, that Project Hermes has been left in the back burner of Ian's busy schedule, and making a Vampire for CD32 would be swell, even if it just had IDE/CF, RAM and HDMI output.
Old 11 February 2016, 02:42   #87
kneehighspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah this is my fear, that Project Hermes has been left in the back burner of Ian's busy schedule, and making a Vampire for CD32 would be swell, even if it just had IDE/CF, RAM and HDMI output.

if i had some form of memory, cf ide board for my a1000....
Old 11 February 2016, 10:18   #88
wmsteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Pair a CD32 with one of Brian's PSX adapters (with a wireless pad) & the RGB scart adapter and you have Amiga heaven on the big screen. Adding in the ability of a Vamp v2 would be crazy but amazing!
Old 11 February 2016, 10:24   #89
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
The CD32 has a PS2 style keyboard connector which accepts a 4000 keyboard (other big box Amiga keyboards work with standard PS2 to AT adapter). The keyboard is plug and play with no need to install drivers. I wouldn't say the CD32 is any less suitable as all models have their advantages and disadvantages. They are all less suitable for modern computing than a new standalone Amiga motherboard.
Yes, I know that you can hook up a keyboard, but not many people use a CD32 like that. But thinking more closely about it, perhaps a Vampire could make sense in the CD32 after all. The reason not many people use the CD32 for WHDload and general WB usage is because there has been no simple upgrade options if you wanted lots of fastmem, HDD and so on. But with the Vampire you could have a small and practical Amiga in the living room next to your modern consoles.
Old 11 February 2016, 19:00   #90
matt3k

Have the creators of this lovely device commented on a 3000/4000 version?

Old 11 February 2016, 19:50   #91
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
They have... It's not a priority atm. so I'm guessing it wont show up in 2016.
Old 11 February 2016, 21:00   #92
matthey
Banned

Quote:
IDE is unlikely because of the higher voltage. More likely is MicroSD like the current accelerators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yes, I know that you can hook up a keyboard, but not many people use a CD32 like that. But thinking more closely about it, perhaps a Vampire could make sense in the CD32 after all. The reason not many people use the CD32 for WHDload and general WB usage is because there has been no simple upgrade options if you wanted lots of fastmem, HDD and so on. But with the Vampire you could have a small and practical Amiga in the living room next to your modern consoles.
+ small
+ simple
+ PCMCIA for ethernet
+ low spec accelerator should sell well
- ECS
- 68000 surface mounted (poor connection)

500/1000/2000/CDTV
+ simple
+ good connection to 68000 CPU socket
+ very plentiful and cheap
+ low spec accelerator should sell well
- ECS
- no PCMCIA for ethernet (should consider adding ethernet port or USB)

+ small
+ good connection to accelerator slot
+ AGA
+ PCMCIA
+ plentiful (but not cheap)
- accelerator connector expensive
- already many fast accelerators in the market pushing specs and cost up

CD32
+ small
+ good connection to expansion/accelerator slot (affordable connector)
+ AGA
+ relatively cheap and plentiful
- no PCMCIA for ethernet (should consider adding ethernet port or USB)

3000(T)/4000(T)
+ very expandable
+ shortage of affordable high performance accelerators for 3000/4000
- specs and cost probably need to be raised for accelerator

new standalone motherboard
+ all new is less headaches for aging and motherboard revision problems
+ enhanced AGA and RTG through the HDMI port
+ modern I/O connectors
+ fastest solution
- high complexity
- high cost without high volume production

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
There are hints that it is planned as well as a new FPGA based standalone motherboard later.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php

I don't expect the plans are very solid though. It sounds like the same general plan we talked about several years ago although stage 1 seams to have become a reality.
Old 11 February 2016, 21:37   #93
Amiga1992

Quote:
IDE is unlikely because of the higher voltage. More likely is MicroSD like the current accelerators.
What exactly is the problem? "Higher voltage"? Please explain. How does a CF card impair the operation of something like this??
Old 11 February 2016, 21:54   #94
Allen1

Hi Akira,
I think he may have meant higher current rather than higher voltage, the tracks on the board would probably not capable of the extra current required for an IDE hard drive like the A500 memory and CF adapter that Kipper made.
Old 11 February 2016, 22:56   #95
matthey
Banned

Quote:
What exactly is the problem? "Higher voltage"? Please explain. How does a CF card impair the operation of something like this??
I am not a hardware guy but 5V which was common in the Amiga days is now high voltage for an FPGA (may require converting to lower voltage for the FPGA I/O pins to drive it). An HD probably draws more amps as Allen1 says but there is a separate power connector for the HD. In any case, something about the power requirements for IDE is what caused it to be dropped from the design as discussed back in the day on the Apollo forum. An IDE connector and CF slot physically take more room on the board. SATA would require SerDes (high speed serial transceivers) which is only available in more expensive FPGAs (probably available for about 2x the cost of the current FPGA though). USB practically requires an extra chip for the USB (although Majsta has investigated this option). Ethernet probably could be driven directly by the FPGA I/O pin lines and it sounded like a strong possibility for future Apollo accelerator designs when discussed back in the day. There are no ethernet HDs but it would provide more modern I/O than the limited single microSD slot.
Old 12 February 2016, 14:18   #96
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Damn!!!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 February 2016, 17:09   #97
kipper2k

Quote:

+ small
+ AGA
+ PCMCIA
+ plentiful (but not cheap)
- accelerator connector expensive
- already many fast accelerators in the market pushing specs and cost up
Just a note on the a1200 connectors they are a bit expensive but this will not add too much to the overall cost for the a1200. I can get them made so it is not an issue. If anyone has a 1000 of them available at a good price there is also that option.
Old 12 February 2016, 17:11   #98
TjLaZer

Sounds good, when can we expect ordering/delivery of those on your "email list" Kipper2k?
Old 12 February 2016, 17:16   #99
kipper2k

As a sidenote, i will have approx 50 (15 are 100% complete) of the a600 boards ready this weekend, with the exception of my fpga's which are in the mail and look like the order is still waiting to be finalised. (Fedex reports "label created" so i am not exactly sure what the true status is.. also new orders will cost an extra $2 and have an official license sticker on them, it will alleviate the issue with collecting roms. My website will indicate where i am in the processing orders and explain the process.
Old 28 February 2016, 09:32   #100
pgovotsos

Is the Vampire II compatible with existing expansions? Maybe the easier question is are there expansions that are not compatible?

For example, can you still use an a604n for the extra chip memory or only kipper2k's chip memory upgrade or will the Vampire II directly expand the A600 to 2MB chip memory? Can you use an Indivision on the a604n, things like RapidRoad or Subway on the a604n's clockports? Is it compatible with PCMCIA cards like Ethernet cards?

Sorry for lots of questions. I've seen some answers from other people (not compatible with Indivision) but not official answers from the developers - at least where I've looked I'm sure I'm quite capable of missing it

Thanks so much for the help and especially for the Vampire!