English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 November 2013, 22:01   #41
imigger
Banned

and 1 more thing why make a new os like os4. 1 2 3 4 , for ppc when ppc is pretty much dead even apple relised that fact.

if they ported the os4 to intel well now then fun would begin they would have more users and more developers and probably in the end could compete with Microsoft .

obviously they have small minds and only want a select few buying old slow ppc machines ,lets face it ppc is dead thank good .

unless its on a real cheap say 120 pounds motherboard I wouldn't buy 1 , I spend thousands on my pc because I have lots of software to play with this is the deciding factor of any machine , hence why mobile devices have rises so fast beause they all have lots of software that's fun and works.

what does os4 have ,ohh yea os4 ,it isn't enough in todays world.

if they don't use my knowledge they will die very soon.

the classic amiga will always be the best as it has tons of great software.

and its a real machine not an emulator.

and if you want mass market you go with whats out there , intel core.

but they wont listen and these same old threads will pop up from time to time.

and its boring now.

so im going to play with my lovly sexy 4000 and im going to twiddle with its floppy flap um yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 22 November 2013, 23:43   #42
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The problem is that you are denying afew simple facts: OS4 is not a direct descendant of AmigaOS. It is just a port to another unrelated platform that a gaming company did with the sources they managed to get (they didnt get the entire 3.9 sources by the way), and then, they heavily modified it to suit their needs at the expense of compatibility (which is very important if you dont have good native PPC apps).
You have to decide for yourself don't you when something comes along that tweaks your interest. For me enough of the concerns were addressed and answered. I didn't really have that many concerns because I want a vehicle for my continuing interest in AmigaOS. I'm not sure about the exact details of the sources so I'll rather not comment but I have a feeling there is more too it. First you support then comes the software, you have to start somewhere.

Quote:
The other thing, is the hardware: The AmigaOne series has absolutely no relation whatsoever to what the Amiga hardware ever was, not even conceptually speaking.
I don't care if there is not a single track or chip in the modern Amiga board that isn't from the older model of Amiga. Lets move on twenty or so years shall we what chip or track from the past would benefit us now? The Amiga was always going to evolve. This for me is a very moot point. This is what drives the mentality of that certain faction in the Amiga community that believe there is no Amiga after the commodore line. This just enables them to not spend money on new hardware and to bond with the past completely.

Quote:
I believe more than half of the problems AmigaOne users face are due to the marketing tactics of these companies trying to revive an extinct dodo (the Amiga), to make some quick buck, and then it gets worse when they delude users in that they are buying a real Amiga when they arent. They should follow a more honest path like MorphOS and AROS people do.
I didn't get a SAM or an Amigaone X1000 because someones flash marketing. I got it because it ran AmigaOS. I want a faster AmigaOS machine. I now have an X1000 with a Radeon 7970HD in it, I don't even think some PC users have that kind of graphic card in there gaming PC. It's a thrill to have access to modern hardware and the speed of AmigaOS.

Eek don't get me started on these imitation OSs. There are NO flavours and there are NO camps. They are concepts created by the developers of these imitation OSs that people eventually accepted. Not me though, merely by existing they are disrespectful of AmigaOS and Amiga. There is however nothing I can do about it so like everything I can't do anything about I forget it.

There is also one VERY BIG difference between me and some MorphOS and AROS users. You will never see me post in a MorphOS thread or an AROS thread condemning there actions or trying to show them up or misrepresent them or promote AmigaOS4.x as the better choice. I am indifferent and I keep away. Likewise with the older models, I don't enter threads on EAB for example and say "hey! a faster SAM or AmigaOne X1000 will provide a solution for what you're trying to do here!" Modern AmigaOS deserves this as well but as you see in this thread it doesn't happen. People have to condemn yet again. What gives there voice more weight? It's only there narrow minded opinion. There dreams are at a dead end, they got off the ride, perhaps they had no passion in the start just wowed at the potential of the Amiga. Why do they harass people who simply want to enjoy a continuation. They can believe what they want but it's there own perception. There are a couple in particular that are very self righteous and one day they are going to get theres, no one can go on for so long with such a hateful overview and not have karma kick there butt eventually.

Quote:
Look, Trevor seems to be a nice guy, but then he is indeed not selling/manufacturing/designing Amigas, just simple PPC motherboards.
What would you have on a modern Amiga MB? You seem just like the rest, you simply do not want to call this hardware Amiga.

I am biased because I believe what Trevor is doing is exactly what I'd do. You have to start somewhere and he has the passion to drive it, nothing like this would work or even start without passion.

I hope you understand I'm not trying to convert you or educate you I am just trying to show that my perception is just as good as yours and all I want to do is be positive about what I like to do without viewing the same repeated BS in everyone of our threads!

There are hundreds of threads on EAB please let those interested in AmigaOS4.x read and post in threads that are positive than tainted with views of people who don't appreciate its existence.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:28.
Old 22 November 2013, 23:54   #43
1time
Amiga Lover

Well Said Slayer.
Old 23 November 2013, 01:08   #44
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
This is what drives the mentality of that certain faction in the Amiga community that believe there is no Amiga after the commodore line.
Then I ask you this: What makes an Amiga an Amiga?

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:30.
Old 23 November 2013, 01:36   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I now have an X1000 with a Radeon 7970HD in it, I don't even think some PC users have that kind of graphic card in there gaming PC.
May I ask you which games you own for AmigaOS 4.x that utilize that graphic card?

Oh and I always keep this one handy:
Old 23 November 2013, 02:09   #46
klx300r

@ thorham

I'm pretty sure the point slayer is trying to make is that this thread is specifically entitled for those who are interested in the progress of AmigaOS4.1. Whether you like it or not is not the topic of the thread.

Please feel free to open another thread to discuss why you don not like reading about AmigaOS4.1 advancements on this Amiga site OR even better complain to a mod here. Why post at all in a thread that doesn't interest you ???
Old 23 November 2013, 02:37   #47
SS454
Banned

Quote:
I don't care if there is not a single track or chip in the modern Amiga board that isn't from the older model of Amiga. Lets move on twenty or so years shall we what chip or track from the past would benefit us now? The Amiga was always going to evolve. This for me is a very moot point.
"Chips and tracks" have nothing to do with it. It is a matter of basic hardware architecture, of instruction sets and memory maps.

Modern PC's are using the same as they did in 1981, just with stuff added.

This so called "Amiga", is just a old PC from 2005 with a PPC and weird bios. It even uses IBM Text mode at boot time!

Quote:
Eek don't get me started on these imitation OSs. There are NO flavours and there are NO camps. They are concepts created by the developers of these imitation OSs that people eventually accepted. Not me though, merely by existing they are disrespectful of AmigaOS and Amiga. There is however nothing I can do about it so like everything I can't do anything about I forget it.
Both MorphOS and AROS started development before OS4 was even announced.

MorphOS was developed by the people who created the PPC Amiga hardware.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:33.
Old 23 November 2013, 03:15   #48
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Then I ask you this: What makes an Amiga an Amiga?
The question what makes an Amiga is not something that can be answered, it means different things to different people.

I know this forum is targeted towards Classics but NG owners should also feel welcome here shouldn't they?

To get back on topic, cool SMP support makes sense, hope they manage it soon. Will that be for 4.2?

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:35. Reason: Added quote.
Old 23 November 2013, 03:27   #49
klx300r

@ NovaCoder

+1

btw, since this thead is full of off topic anyhow, have you seen kipper2k around?
Old 23 November 2013, 05:30   #50
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
I'm pretty sure the point slayer is trying to make is that this thread is specifically entitled for those who are interested in the progress of AmigaOS4.1.
If that's true, then they're not doing a very good job, although it's understandable seeing how people keep going on about how the X1000 basically sucks.

Side note: You'll notice me talking about over priced and under powered earlier. I don't equate those to crap. Classic Amigas are too expensive and underpowered, too, and I don't think they're crap, either.

Quote:
Whether you like it or not is not the topic of the thread.
I've already said that I should have kept my big mouth shut about the X1000, especially since I neither like nor hate it. The same applies to AOS4. I have nothing against AOS4 machines and AOS4, and was simply asking a question in response to what Slayer wrote (see the part I quoted), without trying to be offensive.

Quote:
Why post at all in a thread that doesn't interest you ???
In relation to what I wrote in my first posts, you're absolutely right, but I don't see a problem with replying to other people's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
The question what makes an Amiga is not something that can be answered, it means different things to different people.
Is something defined by what it is, or what it means to people?

Anyway, perhaps I shouldn't have asked that question, because it does nothing but invite more arguing about things that aren't very important, and it's off-topic on top of that.
Old 23 November 2013, 07:19   #51
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Whilst trying desperately to avoid this thread, I feel compelled to make one final post before finally ignoring it.

As an x1000 owner, I can confidently state that the x1000 is not crap.

As an x1000 user I can also confirm that it is the fastest AmigaOS machine available.

As a sensible adult, I wont get dragged into circular forum threads with those who have never used an x1000, yet continue to insist on comparing apples with oranges.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:39.
Old 23 November 2013, 12:02   #52
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Whilst trying desperately to avoid this thread, I feel compelled to make one final post before finally ignoring it.

As an x1000 owner, I can confidently state that the x1000 is not crap.
Crap no, just a dull, highly overpriced and underpowered motherboard with a processor that has left the desktop a long time ago.

Quote:
As an x1000 user I can also confirm that it is the fastest AmigaOS machine available.
You must be living in another planet then. On planet earth, the fastest AmigaOS machine is some Intel/AMD processor based computer running some form of UAE.

Quote:
As a sensible adult, I wont get dragged into circular forum threads with those who have never used an x1000, yet continue to insist on comparing apples with oranges.
You are assuming evryone here didnt have an AmigaOne. Only some AmigaOne users and sellers keep comparing apples with oranges (the real Amigas, and these series of PPC motherboards).

It is by no means bad at all, to enjoy and be willing to pay $$$$ for an AmigaOne and OS4, as long as you dont try to force others in claiming "this is a real Amiga", when it is clearly not.

Real Amigas ended production in the 90s. Deal with it.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:40.
Old 23 November 2013, 13:08   #53
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
You must be living in another planet then. On planet earth, the fastest AmigaOS machine is some Intel/AMD processor based computer running some form of UAE.
You must be on the other planet. Your slagging off everything that isn't classic hardware then saying an x86 PC is a the fastest Amiga hardware.
Its emulation nothing real about it there.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:41.
Old 23 November 2013, 13:09   #54
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I know this forum is targeted towards Classics but NG owners should also feel welcome here shouldn't they?
Everyone should be welcome here, but some people just want to troll NG threads and users. I purchased and used an NG amiga (sam440) for a short time and it didnt float my boat so I sold it on for pretty much the same price I paid for it.

Live and let live for gods sake. Its a hobby computer, if people are happy leave them be. They arent trying to convert you, just posting news updates every once in a while. I honestly dont see the harm in it and even find it interesting to read about what is going on without checking other forums and news sites devoted to the topic.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:42.
Old 23 November 2013, 13:20   #55
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Everyone should be welcome here, but some people just want to troll NG threads and users. I purchased and used an NG amiga (sam440) for a short time and it didnt float my boat so I sold it on for pretty much the same price I paid for it.

Live and let live for gods sake. Its a hobby computer, if people are happy leave them be. They arent trying to convert you, just posting news updates every once in a while. I honestly dont see the harm in it and even find it interesting to read about what is going on without checking other forums and news sites devoted to the topic.
I agree 100%.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:43.
Old 23 November 2013, 14:07   #56
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
You must be on the other planet. Your slagging off everything that isn't classic hardware then saying an x86 PC is a the fastest Amiga hardware.
Its emulation nothing real about it there.
You are changing words: I said that the fastest way to run AmigaOS is in an emulator on an Intel/AMD processor. I never said that that was real Amiga hardware.
Claiming an emulator is a real Amiga is as foolish as claiming an AmigaOne is a real Amiga.

Perhaps you read too quickly and assumed other things.
Old 23 November 2013, 14:07   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm really genuinely interested which games on OS 4.x use a 2011 graphics card btw. I don't follow the game development there, so this thread seemed like a good spot to ask...

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:43.
Old 23 November 2013, 14:28   #58
Phantom
Adventurer

So, the same applies for MacOS X, it's not Macintosh, because it doesn't run under 68k or PPC anymore?

Even if the X1000 is under-powered compared to peecees (which is not an equal comparison), it's the fastest computer that runs AmigaOS, like it or not. Do you really need quad-core processors and 16GB of RAM etc, to run AmigaOS native programs? I don't think so.

The biggest mistake in the Amiga community and its future, its the separation in 4 different camps. THIS IS the biggest mistake. Just sit down and leave any arguments aside and imagine where AmigaOS would be today without those camps.

In the 80s and 90s we were one of the biggest communities together, today we are fighting each other about what is the real AmigaOS or the real Amiga computer. We are just for laughs, unfortunately.
Old 23 November 2013, 14:41   #59
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
So, the same applies for MacOS X, it's not Macintosh, because it doesn't run under 68k or PPC anymore?
Aren't current Macs just peecees in a Mac style case? I don't follow Mac, so I don't know. What I do know is that an operating system doesn't define what the hardware is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
imagine where AmigaOS would be today without those camps.
It would be at 3.1, which is perfectly fine for classics.
Old 23 November 2013, 14:49   #60
Phantom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It would be at 3.1, which is perfectly fine for classics.
What about your daily computer then? Do you post in the forums with your 3.1 Amiga? Probably you're using peecee, so you cannot follow sorry.