English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 December 2002, 10:38   #1
Big-Byte
Long time member

Another Amiga conversion on Gameboy Advance

It was Fred who directed me to this page but its great to see that they have converted Soccer Kid to the GBA!!

http://www.telegames.com/publishing.htm

This is one of the best games for the Amiga (in my opinion) and requires a fair bit of skill to play. I also picked the Amiga game up in boxed mint condition during the summer for 50p and am still playing it
Old 10 December 2002, 11:24   #2
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy Cool

It looks fantastic. A bit like the AGA version. I was surprised to see a Playstation version on the same page. It's still 2D and still looks great. Woohoo. Long live Soccer Kid.
Old 10 December 2002, 11:35   #3
kriz

ahh yeah!!! Soccer Kid is a great game, have to get this one !! back it up

hmm the psx version looks really nice too
Old 10 December 2002, 14:31   #4
Amiga1992

Looking good indeedy!

Dang, I need an extra GBA with an Afterburner kit.
Old 10 December 2002, 17:18   #5
Daz

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Looking good indeedy!

Dang, I need an extra GBA with an Afterburner kit.

Yeh Me too - My purple ones for teh car (while driving of course) My platinum ones for collection purposes - now all I need is a nice black one that matches my cube
Old 10 December 2002, 17:55   #6
turk182

I actually played it and can confirm it is exactly like the amiga version (was there an AGA version? ,cause it looks a little 'shiny-er' on the GBA ) .
Old 11 December 2002, 02:56   #7
Amiga1992

Yep there wa san AGA version, which looks exactly like this one.
Old 11 December 2002, 11:44   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

50p for the Amiga version? Big-byte, if its the same game for Gameboy Advance, I think I know which is better value for money!

I'm not anti-gameboy or anything guys,(although I'll admit I'm not a portable gaming fan.), but I'd rather see a proper update with some newer gameplay/levels etc. or something.

Take Resident Evil on Gamecube for example. As I understand it, apart from the GFX tweaks, they've changed the game a bit so you don't instantly feel "I'm playing old playstation game on nintendo."
Old 11 December 2002, 12:02   #9
Big-Byte
Long time member

The problem here is that the official target audience of people that play gameboy advance (6-18?) have never probably seen an amiga - they are just too young. So the companies think they can get away with reviving old games with little or no modification.

Have you seen segas recent releases? Comix Zone, Altered Beast, golden Axe etc... all converted from the megadrive with no improvements.
Old 11 December 2002, 12:07   #10
turk182

Not necessarily the case , as the same could be said of the original gameboy. It had countless conversions from 'home-computers' ported over. I guess there is a pull in the 'its cute/cool' to play [game-name] in miniature on the road etc.

But I agree , It seemed a bit pointless to play an old game again other than that 'cuteness' factor , That's why I got bored and sold it on very quickly!.
Old 11 December 2002, 12:33   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

@Big-byte. No I haven't, but sadly you're entirely right-kiddies not knowing about amigas,urgh you're ,making me feel old!

Seriously though, it makes me angry though, when certain publishers clamp down on emulation/retro-gaming, yet feel justified in double-dipping & charging for exactly the same old game, with examples like this.
If somone converted,I dunno Uridium 2 for example, do you think Andy Braybrook would get extra royalty cheques-I'd doubt it!

Besides, my old joystick made a more satisfying crash when I hurled it in anger on the Amiga-I'd doubt the GB advance & its directional pad controls would survive my playing temper!
Been debating about getting a Sidewinder USB joystick for WinUAE but still don't feel that playing with an analog stick will ever compare with the old digital joystick controls.
Old 11 December 2002, 14:57   #12
Amiga1992

I feel particularly miffed at this whole shovelware policy on the gameboy Advance. It's a machine with LOTS of potential, nevertheless they keep shoveling conversions from old SNES shite to it, which I really don't want to play. I want new, original games!
These Amiga conversions are OK, but I still want new software. If I want to play SOccer Kid, I play it in my Amiga. The novelty of playing it in the bus or the crapper soon wears off.