English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 15 March 2016, 21:43   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Wizkid crashing near end?

Has anyone finished Wizkid playing with the WHDLoad?

I'm playing with a vanilla A600, 68k with 2 mb chip ram.

The game loads allright (just a few os flashes with 2 mb while loading new levels, no big deal really)

But after I beat all levels, and there's that animation of your kittens racing against the bad guy... at the middle of that, the game just went to a black screen, and kept there. The animation didn't go til the end, and the game just froze at a black screen.

I didn't have enough kittens to reach the island fast enough, so it would be game over anyway. But I really want to play it again, I never finished this properly back at the time (I had figured out how to get all the kittens, but always messed up at some point), and I want to finally finish it.

Did anyone managed to finish it on WHDLoad? Was I just unlucky this time around?
Old 16 March 2016, 00:38   #2
Superman

I got as far as the rowing part but as I didnt have enough kittens to win I lost the race. It didn't crash on me though as I recall. A1200 with ACA1221 64mb is what I played it on.
Old 16 March 2016, 01:18   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

you know, I can rush through the game skipping levels and finish it pretty quickly getting few kittens along the way just to see if the game crashes again.

Levels 3 and 9 are still going to take a while though :/

Though I believe if I keep playing level 1, a kitten will appear there and take me straight to level 4, and same thing happens at level 4 to level 8.
Old 16 March 2016, 16:35   #4
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
Most likely that is not enough RAM for WHDLoad game... Might want to look for a PCMCIA card or one of kipper2k's expansions.
Old 16 March 2016, 16:44   #5
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade View Post
Most likely that is not enough RAM for WHDLoad game... Might want to look for a PCMCIA card or one of kipper2k's expansions.
The game wouldn't run at all if it didn't have enough RAM from the beginning. If it runs, it has enough.
Old 16 March 2016, 16:56   #6
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The game wouldn't run at all if it didn't have enough RAM from the beginning. If it runs, it has enough.
WHDLoad allocates no further memory after the initial launch? Interesting...

I would guess it's a bug in the slave then, maybe related to using on 68000, or other...
Old 16 March 2016, 19:22   #7
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Since OP talks about OS flashes it means that "PRELOAD" is disabled and as such it's probably not allocating everything when it's starting?

Shooting in the dark here - not sure if WHDLoad still allocates everything even when PRELOAD is disabled (probably not, otherwise there would no difference! )
Old 16 March 2016, 19:25   #8
Akira

I thought the install checked if system had enough RAM to run the game at all, otherwise you'd be able to launch stuff like 2MB installs and it doesn't. Could be very wrong about it tho.
Old 16 March 2016, 19:33   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Since OP talks about OS flashes it means that "PRELOAD" is disabled and as such it's probably not allocating everything when it's starting?

Shooting in the dark here - not sure if WHDLoad still allocates everything even when PRELOAD is disabled (probably not, otherwise there would no difference! )
I always use preload. From what I get, WHDLoad allocates what's possible from what you have and what the game needs to run. Or I am using preload wrong
Old 16 March 2016, 19:34   #10
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I always use preload. From what I get, WHDLoad allocates what's possible from what you have and what the game needs to run. Or I am using preload wrong
Weird - I've always had loads of FastRAM on my Amigas with WHDLoad and never saw any OS Flashes. I've always thought it had to do with the lack of RAM and having to swap stuff from HD<->RAM and as such that was why I had never suffered them.

We need a WHDLoad expert here to clear all these doubts!
Old 16 March 2016, 19:44   #11
Akira

If there are OS flashes it means it didn't actually preload. I don't think all slaves bomb out if you don't have enough RAM to preload, they might still load just without preloading.
Old 16 March 2016, 20:34   #12
Wepl

If the game starts then there is enough memory to run it.
If Preload is specified WHDLoad tries additionally to load all data files into memory at startup. If there is not enough free memory to preload all files it will load them as far as possible.
So Preload has nothing to do with if a game runs with the present memory or not.

Nevertheless, there seems to be installs which have problems if there are not all files preloaded. I think the authors do not test their installs with the NoFileCache option.
Old 16 March 2016, 22:53   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Wizkid flashes a lot less with preload on, and I've seen it on other games. After I figured out the preload option and begun using it, I noticed some games having less OS flashes than before, while it made no difference with others.
Old 17 March 2016, 00:24   #14
Akira

OK that explains it, that it doesn't crash and preloads as much as it can. Also we have confirmed that if the game starts, it has enough memory to run. Thanks Wepl for clarifications.

The slave must be at fault here then, if the game crashes at the end.