English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 12 March 2016, 20:09   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Castlevania ridiculously slow on a 68k A600

Hi.

Just tried Castlevania WHDLoad on my A600, the game is *really* slow.. I had to wait a few minutes just to see the title screen fading in and fading out, and now so far the game is taking many minutes to show first level.

It's not loading or having OS flashes, it's just painfully slow, even the music is extremely slow.

It's no big deal since the game sucks, I'd guess no one would bother... but I am reporting it anyway
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 March 2016, 21:09   #2
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Hi.

Just tried Castlevania WHDLoad on my A600, the game is *really* slow.. I had to wait a few minutes just to see the title screen fading in and fading out, and now so far the game is taking many minutes to show first level.

It's not loading or having OS flashes, it's just painfully slow, even the music is extremely slow.

It's no big deal since the game sucks, I'd guess no one would bother... but I am reporting it anyway

Works perfect with Vampire 2 (running the game from RAM). not sure if this is due ti running from RAM, Vampire or something wrong with your install
Old 14 March 2016, 14:59   #3
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Works perfect with Vampire 2 (running the game from RAM). not sure if this is due ti running from RAM, Vampire or something wrong with your install
He has a plain A600 kipper, the reason here is probably blitter waits on plain 68k.
Old 14 March 2016, 17:02   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Should have added that, it's a 68k A600 with 2mb Chip Ram.

They really went overboard here, because its *really* slow, the animation "entering" the castle takes several minutes to go, I didn't have the patience to wait to see if the game would work properly after the intro.

Last edited by Shatterhand; 15 March 2016 at 01:57.
Old 14 March 2016, 18:32   #5
Akira

There's a lot of REALLY OLD WHDLoad installs that are in serious need of redoing or fixing. It's a bit of a shame.
Nut as you said, you're not missing much this game is awful. I can't believe how they could make such a terrible game out of Castlevania.
Old 15 March 2016, 02:02   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I was into playing all the Konami classics that were released for amiga (even though I already knew all of them )

The same team (Novotrade) also completely botched Blades of Steel.

And then DSI fucked up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Super C. And damn, DSI made sobre pretty good games like Wings of Fury, 4D Sports Driving.... (Unlike Novotrade, who only made shitty games but somehow made something not completely crap when doing Ecco the Dolphin.. even though I am no big fan of it)

Konami was cursed on Amiga. The only Amiga port from Konami which isn't dreadful is Double Dribble. It's really a shame.

But Castlevania.. Goddamn, it's like they were trying really hard to screw the game.
Old 15 March 2016, 06:12   #7
Akira

That's crazy, didn't know Novotrade made those. Really horrible. And yeah, Ecco was alright, at least it doesn't look like ass!

No wonder Konami never stuck to the Amiga, with such crappy developers porting their games thus making sales of them plummet, nobody would stick around. A real shame.

I am surprised they went and backed Frontier II, maybe the only Konami-published Amiga game that is good. I still want Gradius, Salamander and others!
Old 15 March 2016, 20:36   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I wonder how Metal Gear would end up ... but considering the C64 version is really, really awful, I wouldn't expect too much.

It's funny, it seems they were planing a lot of Amiga games, they cancelled a lot of stuff but kept the C64 releases like The Simpsons and Ajax.

After those cancellations , they still backed Frontier and Batman Returns.

And then Batman Returns also sucks badly.
Old 15 March 2016, 21:30   #9
Akira

Yeah a Metal Gear like game on Amiga would rock. Totally possible, yet, well, nobody made it.
AdSense AdSense