English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 16 June 2017, 20:17   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Post WinUAE 3.5 feature suggestions/comments

Following features are planned for the future, I may implement one (or two? or none!) in next version.

- Amiga multimonitor support, as in support for having for example chipset display and RTG display open at the same time (in separate host windows).

- Video Toaster emulation. Recently published specs should be enough to emulate it fully. (But note that usability will be quite bad without multimonitor support..)

- USB passthrough emulation via libusb, Deneb hardware emulation.

This is not a poll and my choice is final but I'd like to hear some reasons why feature x (not necessarily any of above) should be done next.

(Don't suggest anything that requires HW information that is not available)
Old 16 June 2017, 20:34   #2
esc

If I were king for a day, technical/political limitations notwithstanding, I'd find a way to make Warp3D work in emulated OS3 or OS4. In a perfect world it'd be either voodoo3 emulation for OS3 and radeon9200 emulation for OS4, or it'd be some way to make uaegfx work with Warp3D.

Literally that, for me, is the only thing that makes me sometimes still use bare metal hardware.

But in all honesty...what you've done is amazing.

Old 16 June 2017, 20:57   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I won't do drivers. Especially graphics drivers! Or graphics boards with 3D hardware. It is someone else's problem.
Old 16 June 2017, 21:44   #4
Python1

N E T P L A Y so that Amiga and WinUAE fans can finally play and compete online against each other.

Come on, we are in 2017 AD and we still can't play Amiga games online within WinUAE.

Messing around with real machines and/or emulators is great. Relaxing in the forums is cool. But Amiga gaming is even greater and cooler. It's all about sensations.

Amiga gamers, where are you?

P.S.: Please don't say there already exist FS-UAE or amigalive.com. This comment is about Amiga online gaming through WinUAE. Thanks.
Old 16 June 2017, 21:48   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

FS-UAE netplay is in wrong "layer", it is mostly outside of UAE core, there is no way to make WinUAE compatible with it. I can make my own UAE built-in implementation but it would not be FS-UAE compatible.
Old 16 June 2017, 21:53   #6
Python1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
FS-UAE netplay is in wrong "layer", it is mostly outside of UAE core, there is no way to make WinUAE compatible with it. I can make my own UAE built-in implementation but it would not be FS-UAE compatible.
I don't know for others, but when I speak about WinUAE, I only care about WinUAE. That's why your reply is exactly what I am dreaming about... Thanks for your hard work and devoted passion.
Old 16 June 2017, 22:16   #7
honx

same opinion as python here, i only care about winuae as i ONLY USE winuae.
NEVER touched fs-uae or any other amiga emulator. using winuae since 199x.
before that i was using some dos based uae which wasn't a real emulator.

besides netplay, multimonitor support and also usb support would be great!
btw. what exactly is video toaster?
Old 16 June 2017, 22:42   #8
thellier

>I wont do drivers
No problem with that : It is your code and your choice

But for someone else to make a driver will need an access to native interface

Alain Thellier
Old 16 June 2017, 22:47   #9
ovale

You already said it is too complex to implement but I also know you like challenges . Add to the DMA debugger the visualization of vblank, hblank, vsync, hsync, color burst.
Old 16 June 2017, 23:11   #10
rare_j
Zone Friend

Of the three choices I would say that multimonitor support sounds like it would be a genuinely useful feature to a reasonable number of people.

Video Toaster support could be interesting as a curiousity.
USB support is an odd one. 'Because you can' I suppose is the only reason for that!
Old 16 June 2017, 23:31   #11
Sinphaltimus

I'm interested in the Dual Monitor and Video Toaster support. Very curious about how that would turn out as far as the different source inputs - would it be like linking to a directory with videos or something? I've never had a toaster but always wanted one so to be able to play with one in emulation sounds amazingly awesome.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:45   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python1 View Post
I don't know for others, but when I speak about WinUAE, I only care about WinUAE. That's why your reply is exactly what I am dreaming about... Thanks for your hard work and devoted passion.
+1. I use WinUAE only and I don't care about FSUAE. I just care about the options here, and playing online is a great option that you don't have. Just take the way you think that should be taken and that will be ok.

Playing online with Amigas isn't just an option, living on a connected world it is a priority, just my point of view.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 June 2017 at 01:57.
Old 17 June 2017, 02:09   #13
alpine9000

Debugger tools to help find null pointers would be cool.
Old 17 June 2017, 03:43   #14
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
... I've never had a toaster but always wanted one so to be able to play with one in emulation sounds amazingly awesome.
already possible - http://aminet.net/package/gfx/edit/VT42-Toasterless-0.1 with certain restrictions.

Last edited by emufan; 17 June 2017 at 03:57.
Old 17 June 2017, 04:41   #15
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

USB would be a welcome feature. My A4000T has USB, my Amithlon has USB and it'd be nice to drop files on a USB stick that I could share between those two machines and the virtual WinUAE based Amiga setup.
Old 17 June 2017, 05:29   #16
ransom1122

I still have hope for a fix with "sound glitching" when joining 2 recorded avis from winuae.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86111
Old 17 June 2017, 09:23   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Debugger tools to help find null pointers would be cool.
This is probably going to happen. This isn't "big" feature that takes long time to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovale View Post
You already said it is too complex to implement but I also know you like challenges . Add to the DMA debugger the visualization of vblank, hblank, vsync, hsync, color burst.
I am quite sure I said it does not fit on screen or would be uselessly tiny..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thellier View Post
>I wont do drivers
No problem with that : It is your code and your choice

But for someone else to make a driver will need an access to native interface
"native board" will be done in next version. I forgot about it.. (This isn't nothing complex either, software side is the complex part.)
Old 17 June 2017, 10:52   #18
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python1 View Post
N E T P L A Y so that Amiga and WinUAE fans can finally play and compete online against each other.

Come on, we are in 2017 AD and we still can't play Amiga games online within WinUAE.

Messing around with real machines and/or emulators is great. Relaxing in the forums is cool. But Amiga gaming is even greater and cooler. It's all about sensations.

Amiga gamers, where are you?

P.S.: Please don't say there already exist FS-UAE or amigalive.com. This comment is about Amiga online gaming through WinUAE. Thanks.
WinUAE Kallera existed years ago, come out from under that rock you've been living under

Yes not updated for years, but I'm sure it still works good enough to play if that's what floats your boat. Had a game of Worms with some of the gang here years ago and it worked well.

As for my personal request Toni, I couldn't give a monkeys about any of this new hardware your adding, I just hope you keep going with WinUAE for years to come. It's been a golden age since you took over pal, WinUAE has gone from strength to strength.
Old 17 June 2017, 11:43   #19
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I would just like to see 68020 CE mode improved further.
Old 17 June 2017, 13:20   #20
thellier

Hello
Nice. Thanks Toni
@esc
you know Warp3D works for years now with Wazp3D or Quarktex inside WinUAE os3 68k
[ Show youtube player ]